Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #41
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalsusedtorule View Post
That is the one and only small complaint I have after the first couple of days with OOTP19. This is a wonderful, fantastic game that just keeps improving year after year, and is by far the most enjoyable "gaming" pastime I have ever found. From the brief experience of the first few days, this looks like it will be the best OOTP yet, with a number of further improvements. However, that "one thing" I was hoping would be remedied, and does not appear to be, is just what you mentioned. I have still run into a number of instances where the centerfielder races back for a line drive or fly ball, only to have it land in front of him for extra bases. It is a small thing, but I have come to expect so much from OOTP that it drives me crazy! So, in a way that is a compliment to Markus and gang, but also a plea to please try and fix this one small, annoying, nitpicking detail.

All in all - thanks for another terrific version of the very best baseball simulation ever made!!! Great work again!
You have no idea how much those doubles to the OF annoy me as well... The version today has a couple more fixes which should help, and I'll keep working hard on that after release to get rid of them all
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #42
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalsusedtorule View Post
I have still run into a number of instances where the centerfielder races back for a line drive or fly ball, only to have it land in front of him for extra bases.
I thought Dexter Fowler moved to right field.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #43
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
So, in a way that is a compliment to Markus and gang, but also a plea to please try and fix this one small, annoying, nitpicking detail.
To be honest, this is actually a pet peeve of mine as well.

I do think it's happening significantly less in OOTP19 than it did in 18 so that's all to the good, but I'll be pretty happy when we stop it from happening at all.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #44
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Lol
Old 03-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #45
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I watched a couple games last night and am really, really jazzed about those 3D stadia. That's definitely how I'm going to be playing/watching in the future.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #46
Royalsusedtorule
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Well played sir
Royalsusedtorule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #47
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
You have no idea how much those doubles to the OF annoy me as well... The version today has a couple more fixes which should help, and I'll keep working hard on that after release to get rid of them all
Certainly no real biggie in this Super Fun Realistic Game. But I've had several foul balls to either left or right field or down the line and they go quickly right behind the catcher area about a 1/4". : )

Sure would be neat IMO if when there is a ground out or fly out if the batter would just run down the line or something instead of sometimes totally disappearing from the screen.

Any chance way down the road of having Umpires on the screen : )

Man...what a super fun game !!

Don't forget to try PStrickert's great 1959 World Series Quickstart Mod for V12 & V11 !! At Padresfan's site.
skunkle333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #48
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I feel like the biggest issue is doubles where the Project Scoresheet location says, like, short centerfield? I'd guess that one way to make those look real is to have an OFer dive for them and then get past him to the wall... or hell, don't listen to me; MLB.tv or something has *got* to have archive footage of games that you can cross-reference with boxscores that indicate a ball was hit to a given location, right? That's what I'd probably use for inspiration...
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #49
bellysk8er2005
Bat Boy

I'm glad no way guy is still in the game. My team hit a grand slam to take the lead in the 9th and there he was.
bellysk8er2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #50
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
- The pbp and the field action are completely synchronized. I no longer see instances where the fielder and/or ball go in crazy directions or don't match the pbp.
What's the trick to having it scroll the same time as the play on the field? Strikeouts seem fine.. but on actual hits, it seems to pause then scroll again after the play is finished.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #51
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

If the pbp is long, it will finish after the field action. By synchronized, I mean that the pbp describes what I see on the field, such as outfielders jumping at the wall and the ball landing in the place described in the pbp. Some others have pointed out that this doesn’t always happen but I have seen only a handful of glitches in a dozen or so games.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:48 PM   #52
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If the pbp is long, it will finish after the field action. By synchronized, I mean that the pbp describes what I see on the field, such as outfielders jumping at the wall and the ball landing in the place described in the pbp. Some others have pointed out that this doesn’t always happen but I have seen only a handful of glitches in a dozen or so games.
Ok.. thanks. I wish there was a way to make it scroll as the play is going on, similar to a broadcaster but having the text instead. Seems goofy to me, but maybe that's how it's always been and I haven't noticed?
Old 03-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #53
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Ok.. thanks. I wish there was a way to make it scroll as the play is going on, similar to a broadcaster but having the text instead. Seems goofy to me, but maybe that's how it's always been and I haven't noticed?
What's your display setting in pbp? I don't remember what it's called on that page, but there's by line, character, and at least another. Line generally is the best choice for most timing issues, but ymmv
Old 03-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #54
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
What's your display setting in pbp? I don't remember what it's called on that page, but there's by line, character, and at least another. Line generally is the best choice for most timing issues, but ymmv
Per character.. thanks I'll try that next game. I have the pbp on faster so it's much better now.

I posted this in the impressions thread.. the color for outs needs to be changed from yellow to RED, looks odd being the same color as balls and strikes.

Such small nitpicks.. amazing what you all did with this game!
Old 03-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #55
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Manny Machado signed an early contract extension. I think he left a lot of money on the table here. I don't think Machado would have gone for less than 7 years without testing free agency.

Name:  machado.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  64.0 KB

I saw another thread where someone complained about Harper accepting a low contract (presumably in the 2018-19 offseason) and pointing out that Machado and others had gotten much more. My conclusion here is that a player's attitude towards his contract has a lot of moving parts, and we just have to accept what happens and deal with it in the context of our own game. Each game is different, and none of them are reality. Reality will be on MLB Network at noon today.

But dang Manny... I would have given you a lot more if you had waited!!!
Old 03-24-2018, 10:02 AM   #56
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Manny Machado signed an early contract extension. I think he left a lot of money on the table here. I don't think Machado would have gone for less than 7 years without testing free agency.

Attachment 545040

I saw another thread where someone complained about Harper accepting a low contract (presumably in the 2018-19 offseason) and pointing out that Machado and others had gotten much more. My conclusion here is that a player's attitude towards his contract has a lot of moving parts, and we just have to accept what happens and deal with it in the context of our own game. Each game is different, and none of them are reality. Reality will be on MLB Network at noon today.

Part of the problem is that there's so many great FA available, it's hard to balance it all. We did some work in the main release so the top guys demands would be better, but in my tests I couldn't quite get guys like Harper with the 400M deals. I think the problem is we made some of the team AIs too smart so they don't want to give out the insane deals as much as they do in real life
Old 03-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #57
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Per character.. thanks I'll try that next game. I have the pbp on faster so it's much better now.

I posted this in the impressions thread.. the color for outs needs to be changed from yellow to RED, looks odd being the same color as balls and strikes.

Such small nitpicks.. amazing what you all did with this game!
They should be red for the next patch. We listen to your comments

And for the PBP, we do try to sync it, but the system only works to a point. The way we sync is it essentially to delay the PBP until the first "relevant" line of the play, but it also happens that if the intro text or previous lines are too long, they get pushed back further and further.

So I think at the moment, the faster your PBP scrolls, the closer it will be to the action. But the other problem is that we keep expanding the PBP too, so if the announcer takes 3 or 4 lines to describe a catch at the wall, that can get us a little out of sync for any action that happens after that. And obviously it's very hard to have the PBP stay synced with the action given that you can control the speed of the PBP, but not of the action on-field. I think we'll likely add some more controls to perhaps let you slow down the actual action on-field as well, and that might help people who want to take a little more time on the PBP be able to watch plays happen with a little bit slower pace. But no promises when exactly we'll be able to get that in and working
Old 03-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #58
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They should be red for the next patch. We listen to your comments

And for the PBP, we do try to sync it, but the system only works to a point. The way we sync is it essentially to delay the PBP until the first "relevant" line of the play, but it also happens that if the intro text or previous lines are too long, they get pushed back further and further.

So I think at the moment, the faster your PBP scrolls, the closer it will be to the action. But the other problem is that we keep expanding the PBP too, so if the announcer takes 3 or 4 lines to describe a catch at the wall, that can get us a little out of sync for any action that happens after that. And obviously it's very hard to have the PBP stay synced with the action given that you can control the speed of the PBP, but not of the action on-field. I think we'll likely add some more controls to perhaps let you slow down the actual action on-field as well, and that might help people who want to take a little more time on the PBP be able to watch plays happen with a little bit slower pace. But no promises when exactly we'll be able to get that in and working
Awesome, red would look great for outs being how I scan colors at the top while watching a game play out.

For pbp I have it on the fastest setting, per character and it works great! I actually think getting the experimental text to speech engine to match the play would be phenomenal!!!
Old 03-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #59
Bears5122
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Attachment 545040

I'm seeing some variance. For instance Harper signed a 7-year $275 million extension in my first sim (he signed a 5-year $250 million after that ended). In another sim he signed a 7-year $149 million extension.

Machado signed a 5-years, $123 million extension in the most recent run. But he did have a down year in 2018 (3.6 WAR) so that probably accounted for it.

I wonder how much player evaluation AI settings play a role. I usually have it focused a bit more on recent success so a down year might cause a smaller contract.
Bears5122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:40 AM   #60
kehowey
Major Leagues

Quote:
As I get deeper into the game, I am really impressed with this version!

- The AI lineup selection and roster management is much better and I haven't found a head-scratching AI move yet.
- The ratings (using historical to judge) are really improved, and this might have helped the AI even more than the human.
- The modern 3d view is far more immersive than pawns or 2d imo. I feel like I am at the ballpark.
- New features on the modern 3d view such as the scoreboard showing the balls/strikes/outs and men on base are broadcast-quality.
- The pbp and the field action are completely synchronized. I no longer see instances where the fielder and/or ball go in crazy directions or don't match the pbp.
- The sounds are the same, yet they seem to come at more appropriate moments and no longer step on the previous sound or repeat as often.
- Sound selection seems to have more "ambient" and less "rally", which is a really good thing for people who play several games per day.
- The new screen layouts look great and are more functional. The new font is easier to read (for me at least).
- The facegens look better. Maybe I am imagining this one, but they seem clear and sharp compared to previous versions.

I could go on, but maybe some others have things to say after a couple of days with the game. I will add my congratulations to the entire team on the BVE (best version ever)!
I also think the Facegen looks better.
kehowey is offline   Reply With Quote