Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 07:11 PM   #41
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Heh, I've always wondered what "semi-brief" means, and now I know! Thanks, Lukas.
Ugh, it was briefer on my screen and in my head than it came out I'm trying to edit it down a little

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 02-11-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:28 PM   #42
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
Wow, I have almost too much to say on the subject, but I'll try to keep it semi-brief

First, we really weren't able to show off the features we're most excited about when we released the newsletter. That being the new in-game screen as well as the new player models and improved stadiums. If you'd seen the updated 3d graphics and the new in-game environment, I don't think you'd still describe it as a 'tweak'!

There have been major changes there and the in-game screen and the 3d look awesome this year. Everyone that's seen it so far has been blown away by it. We didn't want to show it while it was still being worked on and just give you a mockup or something. We really want you to see it in all its glory, and we're hoping to do that soon. If you play out any games in 3d, I'm pretty confident you'll seriously consider buying the game for that alone, even if the other features feel underwhelming to you.

On rosters, saying "rosters can be updated in OOTP18..." massively undersells what you get in an OOTP roster update. Sure you can do that in OOTP18 if you mean that you can spend a few hours moving MLB players around in OOTP18 and updating a few ratings. If that's all we did each year, I agree it wouldn't be much of a selling point. It's not though. That may be what you get in some other companies roster updates, but not in ours.

Every year we add thousands of new players to the roster set who have signed with MLB teams. Hundreds of them you've never even heard of before unless you work for a Major League team or something, and maybe not even then.

Do you know Jhosmer Alvarez or Rolfy Vargas? We do! Would they be in a OOTP18 roster mod? They're in OOTP19. Probably no one would notice if we didn't include them. But we try our best to get to everyone, no matter how obscure, because we really care about you having the most value for your money and by far the best roster update possible. We also add and update thousands of real draft prospects for the next 4-5 years of drafts in-game. Stats and updates for Indy Leagues and international leagues? The new amateur free agent signings in the KBO or ***? All in the update.

There's no way any fan created mod for OOTP18 is going to have a fraction of what we include in OOTP's rosters. Even just creating a basic bare-bones roster update for OOTP18 is probably going to take you 10-15 hours. If that's the case, why not just buy OOTP19 (at a cost of like $2-3 per hour saved) and spend that time actually playing the game or doing something else you enjoy?

Now the roster update might not matter to some of you, and if not that's totally understandable! Maybe you just play fictional leagues. But if it does matter to you, it's a very good reason to buy OOTP19.

Another thing is that we improve tons of stuff each year that we don't really mention, or that gets compressed into one or two sentences in the previews.

Improved AI for example, might not sound like much on its own, or it might just sound like fluff. But we put tons of work into improving the ai each year. Matt in particular does so much there. And while we don't have the time or space to detail all the improvements made, you can be confident they are there. If you doubt it, just load up a copy of OOTP12 and then OOTP18 and look at all the ways 18 plays better and is improved. So it's true that incremental changes are not sexy, but they do add up over time. Buying the game each year helps us to put even more time and effort into doing that, and then the incremental changes can become less incremental and more impactful year to year.

Speaking of which, there is the matter of supporting us with your purchase as some others have mentioned. Now that can certainly be a lame reason, and if we were releasing a crummy new version just to get the cash, I'd agree it wouldn't even be worth mentioning. But we've put as much work as ever into the new version of the game this year. Probably more

It's always really tough to decide what new features to include and what has to wait for another year. So even if the features you're most hoping to see didn't show up this year, we do need the support from folks buying the game to have the resources to add in even more features next year. And the features next year might be just what you're looking for.

So if everything seems still seems underwhelming to you, we're not saying you should buy the game just to support us and for no other reason. We don't want you to buy a product you'll be unhappy with or disappointed in just to "support" us! But if you're on the fence, and you just aren't sure what to do, that might be enough to tip the scale slightly in the direction of buying the game. So I mention it for what it's worth.

So is that enough to get you to invest in the game? Only you can answer that. Speaking for myself but also Markus, Andreas, Matt, Jorin, Daniel, Chris and everyone else at OOTP Developments, we really hope the answer is in the affirmative!
Bravo!!! *Slow Clap* Bravo!!!
Old 02-11-2018, 07:48 PM   #43
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

So why should you buy OOTP 19.

Do you really need a reason?

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
Old 02-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #44
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

Improved AI for example, might not sound like much on its own, or it might just sound like fluff. But we put tons of work into improving the ai each year.
Thanks Lukas!

I really hope the AI for managers and how they analyze their lineups before each game is tweaked.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #45
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71 View Post
Thanks Lukas!

I really hope the AI for managers and how they analyze their lineups before each game is tweaked.
I don't know what specific changes have been made there, but I know Matt's done a lot of work on overall overall ratings, which should affect things throughout the game and he's done quite a lot of general ai work as well. So I feel pretty confident things will be improved in a lot of areas.

I'm not going to tell you it'll be perfect though, with lineups or anywhere else. Honestly I'm sure it won't! The ai will surely still make sub-optimal choices at times, but you know, that's only too true of real life managers as well

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 02-11-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #46
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't know what specific changes have been made there, but I know Matt's done a lot of work on overall overall ratings, which should affect things throughout the game and he's done quite a lot of general ai work as well. So I feel pretty confident things will be improved in a lot of areas.

I'm not going to tell you it'll be perfect though, with lineups or anywhere else. Honestly I'm sure it won't! The ai will surely still make sub-optimal choices at times, but you know, that's only too true of real life managers as well
So in other words...THE AI STILL CHEATS!!!

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
Old 02-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #47
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl518 View Post
I'm not touching that one with a 100 foot pole

Old 02-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #48
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not touching that one with a 100 foot pole
Smart man you are, Lukas!

Old 02-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #49
bbmike
Minors (Double A)

The graphics are still being improved! Preordered!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #50
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl518 View Post
you evil evil man....
Old 02-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #51
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

lets see why we have a good core group of people who have been playing this game from day or within a year or two when it first began. As what the Postman would famously say in the movie "stuff is gettin better"
The game itself has improved with AI and with visual aid over the years. Name a game that listens to its group of gamers and incorporates it into the game. Very few do. Programmers have done a terrific job and always looking for ways to improve NEVER being satisfied with status quo. The game could have been valued over $100 yet they keep the price competitive so we can enjoy the game. Plus you get good people on here willing to help or offer ideas when stuck or when frustrated. This game goes very deep and even shows you what the GM or MGR and aspects of ownership having to deal with, We get to see how things are on their side not just as a fan. Play it your way and see how well you do. Some seasons might be frustrating some seasons overjoyed. Believe me you will have a fun roller coaster ride.

One disclaimer ---- you will be addicted to this game in a hurry.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #52
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Whataburger has a new Mushroom Swiss burger, should I try it?
Old 02-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #53
Reggie
Major Leagues

I pay the 40 bucks just for the excitement of seeing the new welcome screen for the first time. I'm hoping one year the song "Talking Baseball" will play in the background when that screen is up.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #54
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

because OOTP has literally made me stop playing any other sports game because of how in depth it is. i cant touch MLB The Show anymore. The $40 purchase price gives me a year of entertainment and fun, and I cant say that for basically any other game. It basically pays for itself within the first week for me.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #55
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs2016 View Post
From reading about new additions seems to me its just an updated roster and 3D graphics tweak. So why SHOULD i invest in this game?

Rosters can be updated in OOTP18...
Wait until the road to releases come out, then ask that question. In fact, don't ask the question, just make the decision yourself. No need to kick a hornets nest.

Look, I'll say this: OOTP offers the best VALUE over any other baseball sim.

What does SOM computer baseball cost per year? Even WITHOUT the season/stadium disks? What you get for that price? It's no contest. OOTP hands down.

Strat-o-matic with dice and cards? Well, that's a different story.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #56
Craig Scarborough
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
Name a game that listens to its group of gamers and incorporates it into the game. Very few do.
Sorry, one bone to pick here. Most iterative games and applications do this, if not all. If you're not asking your customers what they want, you're a horrible businessperson. In fact, most of the games people show as examples of "not listening" actually do (Madden, NBA2K18, etc.).

I know OOTP does an excellent job at this, and I have bought every year that I can remember. I just wanted to point out that it's a very common practice to listen to one's customers.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #57
Leafs2016
Minors (Single A)

Alright alright maybe just maybe i will bite ��
Old 02-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #58
Reggie
Major Leagues

So I was just mentally going over all the money I spend on entertainment over the span of one year. With the price and the amount of time I spend playing, I can't afford to NOT buy OOTP.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #59
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
Annual release cycles is one thing I absolutely hate about sports games. Glorified roster updates is a what a lot of them turn into, especially when they have zero competition (Madden and NBA2K come to mind). This is why I no longer buy them every year. I'll probably be skipping OOTP the next year or two.

I would never equate what OOTPD does with anything even close to EA. EA doesn't care about its consumer, while OOTP does (as evidenced by their frequency on these forums). Even if they did come out with a game with no new features, I would still purchase the game to support them in their efforts to constantly tweak the game. Think about it...when does Madden even fix anything in their game after release other than a huge bug? I've seen OOTP add features Mid-season!
Old 02-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #60
zappa1
All Star Starter

[QUOTE=Lukas Berger;4277924]

Every year we add thousands of new players to the roster set who have signed with MLB teams. Hundreds of them you've never even heard of before unless you work for a Major League team or something, and maybe not even then. Do you know Jhosmer Alvarez or Rolfy Vargas? We do! Would they be in a OOTP18 roster mod? They're in OOTP19. Probably no one would notice if we didn't include them. But we try our best to get to everyone, no matter how obscure, because we really care about you having the most value for your money and by far the best roster update possible.

Value. That's the #1 reason right there why I buy this game year after year.
Closed Thread