Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 09-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
Kirby
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm Sorry...developers please read

I am sure that the people who worked on this game dont want to hear this but i had to dig up my forum password and username for this since i now have the time (quit playing already).

If someone pooped all over something i had worked on for a year or so i would be upset frankly but i feel i should let you know why i did not enjoy this game.......even remotley. especially considering i spent my VERY hard earned money (surprisingly $50.00 for a game that's obvioulsy not finished)

1. There is no life......everything kind of happens behind the scenes and there doesnt seem to be any change as you sim through days. there is no "last game" view in the team homes screen. all the main things that happen throughout a season are updated and shown almost in different places. the visual aspect is bland with seemingly no changes. (and yes i have played OOTP baseball)

2. Preseason/training camp....non existent. would have like the option of trying out some prospects but that ship had sailed i guess. And for those of us who want to feel like GM's.....preseason should be detailed no?

3. about every 25 times (educated guess) i double click on a player the game crashes. very frustrating considering i spent about an hour or so once attempting to set my lines just the way I like in a very strange line set up screen.

4. Scouting happens......and I (as the GM) have little to do with it. it is VERY general and there are next to no options simply assign a scout to a region......and best of luck to you. this is something similair to OOTP but should have been far more like EHM.

5. roster areas of the game are very confusing and arduous to navigate from several different tabs like roster .....protected....not even sure what that means......all contracted? i expected something similair to OOTP where there is one overview screen where you can view all aspects of your roster. this way you dont have to tab back and forth etc and forget what you were trying to memorize on the previous tab

6. the in game is looooong even when you speed it to the max a game takes forever and and it doesn't appear there is a way to get out!!!! i was trapped. if you dont want a 10-20 minute game you simply cant watch.

7. everytime you filter something and then click on a player/personnel your view resets to default when you go back. MAAAAAAN that is frustrating. it took me about 20 minutes to find a scout with a good reputation yet good scouting skills......cause every time I filter scouts I would sort by skills and then check reputation in the scout "card" when i went back....oops back to the default view of all staff without my sort.

8. Logo packs require me to sign up for another....yes another forum.

9. Oddly....sometimes i click on one player......and end up viewing a totally different one.

10. the loading screens for everything - game load/sim through day etc. take waaaay too long.

11. trade screens are confusing and time consuming. having to tab down for different types of assets? whatever happened to everything being one click away on a screeen for transactions. trade with a draft pick and player requires several tab downs for each team etc etc etc etc. every other SIM i have ever played had a far friendlier interface for transactions. I just dont understand that screen and the way it is positioned to the GM.

12. Players rarely respond to my contract offers.

I understand that in the PC gaming world this is the trend. Work on something until you can release for payment.....and then constantly ask us the customer to download and update this game. I dont get that but i was completely expecting something very different considering the people working on this project. OOTP Baseball people....EHM people......and even that Markus- he who probably made the greatest baseball SIM of all time (season ticket baseball). where the game was complicated when it needed to be.....but simple to use.

I know this was not supposed to be a finished project (which i dont get with PC gaming) but i just get nothing from this game.

its like you SIM....and the numbers all change on the back end. I feel a total lack of personality with this game.

sorry but I was waiting for this SIM for a long time and I feel that this unfinished product had no business being released. And for sports SIMs like this it should be released as a VERY finished product with more life to it.

just very disapointed and i know people worked hard on this but ugh. Buyer beware I guess.....but man $50.00 is really making me lose sleep.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

get a refund
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
karnage420
Bat Boy

have fun being made fun of for posting recommendations and comparing it to EHM.

i'd ask for my money back if i were you.

edit: i agree 100% with the OP. hopefully the community doesnt get butthurt and whine about excuses. the game is terrible.
karnage420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

The game right now is not where it should be for a full priced game but there is enough of a game to enjoy to an extent. If you arent happy though, get a refund and wait until the game gets to where you'd like it to be
Old 09-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
Max Boyer
Minors (Double A)

Talking about my own experience and many friends of mine who have no idea what EHM was and couldn't care less (we've been using SimonT for 10 years and are looking for something much like OOTP) we see the full potential about this game.

Having unhappy customers coming here on the forum and bashing, taking over 20-25 minutes typing messages that leads to repeating what was written on another topic is getting old.

Ask for a refund. The more refund they get, the more they will learn from their mistakes. This is how it works in the corporate world.

Now, onto something more positive - we may have lost you, but I'm sure that they won about 10 new fans because the project is so similar to OOTP.

See you in about 365 days (or less) when that game will hit another stage. I know how this team feels - they don't sleep much, and they are working countless hours just to make every damn bug disappear.

When you'll be ready to accept that, we will still be here waiting for you with our arms wide open and we will gladly exchange with you about bringing new ideas or how to improve the game for all of us - including those who are building it.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

I'm extremely frustrated, too - no, I will not ask for a refund, but I will think twice before buying v2, no doubt about that.

What disappoints me is that when the game was realeased it just looked like the final two betas - I really expected some different graphics to make it visible that we now have the final version ... it simply looks like the betas, in most aspects it is nothing different than the beta, and simming games definitely takes two or three times longer than in the final betas.
And I agree with Kirby, there's not much else to do than simming.

What also disappoints me is that the development team rarely comments on bugs that were reported - I posted several bugs during beta and the first week since the release ... did they read them ?
I posted that case where both goalies had more wins than the team ... I posted that the faceoff leaderboard is not sorted ... that when you start an NHL game no graphics are created, but when you start another of the playable leagues they are ... that these pics do not appear for all players, stuff like that ... very basic things that in my opinion should have been corrected before the release of version 1

But did they read them ? I know these guys are frustrated because they put a lot of work in this and it's not the game it should be at this point - why don't they post a summary every few days listing the bugs they're working on, something like "will be in the next patch", "next version", whatever ?

Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of OOTPB, and while a hockey sim is totally different from a baseball sim, we can't treat FHM like OOTP1 ... there are 14 years of experience and most things like graphics, screens, etc. could easily be transferred from OOTP to FHM, there's no need to code everything from the start.

But the way, the way this first week was handled by the development team and some die-hard OOTP'ers here was frustrating ... we all payed a lot of money for this.
Remember, the game originally was slated to be released early in the year, then we received the news that it would be released September 3 with open beta running until then.

And for that the game has way too many bugs - and as far as I'm concerned EVERYBODY has the right to express his frustrations (as long as he's using acceptable words) - without getting the standard answer: "Get a refund"

It is about time that somebody from the developers admits that this is a pretty weak product and explain what changes will be made, when the next much-needed patch will come out, etc., because at this moment we still are beta-testers and we definitely deserve more infos than we get.

And no, I will not ask for a refund - let's just be critical customers.
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 AM   #7
dmytron

I hope that when they relase version 3.0, they make version 2.0 free.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #8
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Hm, I agree with many points the OP wrote, but man, is the 8th lame...
Alessandro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Boyer View Post
Having unhappy customers coming here on the forum and bashing, taking over 20-25 minutes typing messages that leads to repeating what was written on another topic is getting old.

Ask for a refund. The more refund they get, the more they will learn from their mistakes. This is how it works in the corporate world.

Now, onto something more positive - we may have lost you, but I'm sure that they won about 10 new fans because the project is so similar to OOTP.
You are totally wrong. I for one, thank to OP and the others who spend time to tell us how bad the game is. Without them i also would have wasted my money on an unfinished product. Why a game that is basically a beta has to be realeased (at full price) no matter what, is beyond me. See you next summer.
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #10
Smetana
All Star Starter

OP is entitled to his opinion. We all are entitled to our opinion.

Those of us who are heavily invested in this game (and I'm not talking about money) are bored with these qq threads.

Don't like the game and are too impatient and short-sighted to see what's down the road? Get a refund. But spare us the trite monologues. We're all quite aware of the flaws in the current software.

So you feel you wasted your $40. Next time spend your hard-earned cash on one of the other hockey management games out...oh, wait...
Smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

The contact us link at the bottom isn't there for nothing. Use it to ask a refund and quit whining about non-sense (I have to sign on another forum ... please give me a fricking break).

This type of thread is just whining and trolling like we see every fricking year when a new version of OOTP is released.
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
dmytron

On the other hand, as buyer you have right to demand a good product.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
libixozz
Bat Boy

I think if someone takes the time to provide specific feedback such as the OP did, then even if the says "I'm done", they still have contributed something that the development team can use to help improve things. Taking the time to specify issues is feedback.

And guess what: there is NO COST to skipping the post if you don't like the message! Why respond to these threads at all? To pad your post counts?
libixozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
Oren Djoos
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smetana View Post
OP is entitled to his opinion. We all are entitled to our opinion.

Those of us who are heavily invested in this game (and I'm not talking about money) are bored with these qq threads.

Don't like the game and are too impatient and short-sighted to see what's down the road? Get a refund. But spare us the trite monologues. We're all quite aware of the flaws in the current software.

So you feel you wasted your $40. Next time spend your hard-earned cash on one of the other hockey management games out...oh, wait...
Nobody's forcing you to read and reply to these threads either.
Oren Djoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
Smetana
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Djoos View Post
Nobody's forcing you to read and reply to these threads either.
Well, of course, you're correct about that.

I tend to read every post on the board. And, if I see something that I'd like to respond to, I'm going to respond.

Nobody forced you to read my reply to the OP. See how that works?
Smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #16
Penfold75
Major Leagues

I bought the game and I will stick with the game even if it means not playing in between patch releases and then looking for the improvements from the patch releases. I can see the potential in the game but I remain disappointed.

Wherever you sit be it Pro Game or thinking it stinks, Kirby makes some very valid points. There are some very basic things that should be in a GM Hockey Game that have been missed or just happen without you as the GM being involved.

Pre-Season/Training Camp - trying out players for your team before offering them a contract if you want to has been completely missed

Scouting does happen without the user having any part to play in it. I found that a bit of a let down.

Some of the issues around the rosters are confusing such as the protected lists - these need to be ironed out.

The tactics in the game are quite poor I find. There is no way as there was in EHM to play different, to use a soccer term 'formations'.

Would love to have seen league expansion as an option in the game.

The suggestion that I would need to wait 365 days, as some forum users say, for the next version to wait for this to be implemented or these things to be included is what I find frustrating and may eventually put me off the game. Some of these issues are what I consider very basic options in this kind of game.

The natural response from some to this post might be to get a refund but I actually want to support the development of the game. However, I would be looking for some pretty big improvements through the patches before I would consider buying FHM 2015.
Penfold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
UKRedsFan
Minors (Single A)

I for one am glad those who have found major issues with the game have posted....I now don't have to bother making the same mistake and will check back next year.

As a developer myself I appreciate how much effort it takes to make a game of this nature, but if it's not ready, it's not ready....
UKRedsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #18
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

Negative feedback is fine but when you type out a long message and throw in little bashes at the company or the person making the game or simplify things by saying, I WOULD DO THIS OR THAT and completely saying you could have done it better is where I get annoyed.

The feedback is not usually wrong but some people go about it the wrong way. To be honest with you, I read the OP but can't remember any bashing or anything but most do
Old 09-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
Stinson
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
Negative feedback is fine but when you type out a long message...
To be honest, I think it's good to see a lengthy post. I'd much rather see that - some thought and effort - than them just coming here and yelling, "th1s GaEm SuCkS m0n3y bAcK plox".
Stinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
Negative feedback is fine but when you type out a long message and throw in little bashes at the company or the person making the game or simplify things by saying, I WOULD DO THIS OR THAT and completely saying you could have done it better is where I get annoyed.

The feedback is not usually wrong but some people go about it the wrong way. To be honest with you, I read the OP but can't remember any bashing or anything but most do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinson View Post
To be honest, I think it's good to see a lengthy post. I'd much rather see that - some thought and effort - than them just coming here and yelling, "th1s GaEm SuCkS m0n3y bAcK plox".
I agree with some of what the OP said and disagree with other things. But at least he posted substantive information in a reasonable, thoughtful and constructive way. Not just repeatedly yelling the same useless stuff, as some do.

Criticizing the game is fine, there's just a right way and a wrong way to do that. The OP did it the right way. Good for him. He deserves praise for that, not criticism.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 09-11-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote