Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #1
BoomsdayDevice
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Sorry if already asked (iPad)

Hey, folks.

I am a fellow baseball addict and just discovered OOTP about a year and a half ago. I have a pretty out of date lap top and OOTP 18 (I didn't buy last years) keeps crashing. But not right away. After I put like 10-12 hours of play into it....then it crashes. I am pretty decent with PCs and have tried a lot of things but no dice. I was wondering if you can play OOTP on an iPad? It's a fairly new model. I just got it a year ago. My guess is no but I bet someone here knows more about that. Maybe it's crashing cuz it's OOTP18? Hell if I know. Also, sorry if this is the wrong section for this.

Thanks in advance.
“[Baseball] breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone." ~ A. Bartlett Giamatti
BoomsdayDevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

We do have a game out now for ipad called MLB Manager. It's based on an older OOTP version, and has much reduced functionality (no minors, not nearly as many options as the main game, etc...). The good thing is it only costs a few dollars.

We have also announced that later this Spring/Summer, we will have a new mobile game out called OOTP Go, with the goal to have it with as much functionality as the regular OOTP 20 that we can make work. We will have more details about that later.

For now, it might be worth going through the tech support forums or filing out a ticket for your crashing issues. It should not crash, even on an old laptop, and we may have tips and tricks to help out. Knowing where it crashes (while playing out games? While simming? Navigating to certain pages?) can help narrow down potentially what options you might need to change or what you might need to update to have it stop crashing.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

don't play 10-12 hours and avoid it.

based on your description, i'd guess a memory leak or something. eventually run out of RAM and the OS will terminate a process, since it can't function without working memory available. (or VRAM etc... similar but a bit different) 10-12 hours is along time and not a normal thing (yes people do it, but not prevalent). so, somethign liek that could slip by normal debugging/callibrating use of resources etc.

if it can run it for 10hours, it's not likely the hardware's limitations. it's something else most likely. try having resource monitor on and check RAM/VRAM useage when you load a league and then every hour or so as you go... if you see it constantly creeping upward, that's almost certainly your culprit at this point.

as far as the ipad, think you need somethign more substantial than an ipad, fwiw. unless you could do some remote desktop thing and your desktop actually runs the program but ipad displays screen type idea... (no idea if product exists, but definitely not impossible -- they have similar stuff for video casting, so it may have that function too..) a quasi server/workstation type relationship. they won't call it that, of course....

look into "screen casting" but you want to cast from desktop to ipad.

i think that's the vocabulary... if it's proprietary to one company, find the equivalen syntax that isn't copyrighted for a better google search/app store search.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #4
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I am hoping one day we can play on cellphone or Ipad and be able to just continue to play it on computer or laptop. is a hope but wont hold breath just yet
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

ipad airplay should be able to do it...

as long as you can control the mouse remotely... i didn't look hard. i own zero apple products ever in my life.

i used something similar once to cast from ipad to a 4k tv for my parents, once. expect inordinate amount of input lag, unless they have improved it since. believe i tried googlecast? or some google version of "airplay"

all i did was google :

"screen cast from desktop to ipad"

i knew similar stuff existed, but wasn't sure if it went in opposite direction from device to ipad-like thing.

at worst you need to be in vicinity of laptop/desktop and have a wireless mouse near you.. again, input lag will be extremely annoying if they didn't improve it... move the mouse and it's delayed a second or longer... you can learn to guesstimate when to stop moving mouse and stop watchign screen at all for those decisions, lol.

if you can't control mouse, look for other similar apps... good chance it exists.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-12-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #6
BoomsdayDevice
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
We do have a game out now for ipad called MLB Manager. It's based on an older OOTP version, and has much reduced functionality (no minors, not nearly as many options as the main game, etc...). The good thing is it only costs a few dollars.

We have also announced that later this Spring/Summer, we will have a new mobile game out called OOTP Go, with the goal to have it with as much functionality as the regular OOTP 20 that we can make work. We will have more details about that later.

For now, it might be worth going through the tech support forums or filing out a ticket for your crashing issues. It should not crash, even on an old laptop, and we may have tips and tricks to help out. Knowing where it crashes (while playing out games? While simming? Navigating to certain pages?) can help narrow down potentially what options you might need to change or what you might need to update to have it stop crashing.
Im assuming having Windows 10 is best for playing OOTP on a laptop yes?
“[Baseball] breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone." ~ A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 03-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomsdayDevice View Post
Im assuming having Windows 10 is best for playing OOTP on a laptop yes?

OS should have very little to do with it, as long as it's still supported by Microsoft. Running anything on XP, for example, can be dicey since the OS is not getting any support anymore.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
BoomsdayDevice
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
don't play 10-12 hours and avoid it.

It was 10-12 hours total over the course of like a week. Not in one day. Not sure I could handle that.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:35 AM   #9
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Hey, folks.

I am a fellow baseball addict and just discovered OOTP about a year and a half ago. I have a pretty out of date lap top and OOTP 18 (I didn't buy last years) keeps crashing. But not right away. After I put like 10-12 hours of play into it....then it crashes. I am pretty decent with PCs and have tried a lot of things but no dice. I was wondering if you can play OOTP on an iPad? It's a fairly new model. I just got it a year ago. My guess is no but I bet someone here knows more about that. Maybe it's crashing cuz it's OOTP18? Hell if I know. Also, sorry if this is the wrong section for this.

Thanks in advance.
Use a program called speccy and export you computers configuration and upload it. We can at least see if your computer meets the specs. Go to File then Save Snapshot. Snapshots make prettier files. Attach that file here.

However I can't imagine it not being able to run OOTP 19 as it runs on a potato. The only thing that effects OOTP on a potato computer is sim speed and perhaps the new 3d animations of play by play game mode.

If your OOTP is crashing my 1st instinct is its something wrong with your universe or database or save files however you want to label it.

I would suggest testing a brand new game file out and run that for sometime. You could just sim it and walk away or sim it and go to bed. See if it crashed in the morning. If it didn't then its mostly likely your individual OOTP game file that's causing the problem.

If it did still crash with a brand new game file then its most likely your computer system. Could be maxing out your Ram or an older Windows install can cause all kinds of problems. And you might need a fresh install.

Depending on your computer specs again it could be you need an updated chipset driver or gpu driver. If that's crashing out the system. I would also run a SMART test on your HDD to see if there are any errors or anything funny going on.

Minimum all you need is a dual core Intel processor and 4gb or ram. An SSD would improve your general life and help with OOTP read/writes. And a faster processor and more ram can slightly help with sim speed. Even though OOTP is 32 bit so can't address 4gb of ram.

Windows needs ram and if you like 20 tabs open in a web browser it will eat all of your ram. I've seen users with 100's of tabs open and wonder why they can't move folders on the desktop. They have no ram left. No virtual memory left. No disk swap space left. No nothing. So the more ram you have for the rest of your system then OOTP can take its 3.5gb of ram.

So when you run OOTP make sure you have nothing else open. Nothing should be loaded in your lower right hand corner system bar. Those are all resident in memory. The more you have the worse off you are.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:51 PM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It was 10-12 hours total over the course of like a week. Not in one day. Not sure I could handle that.
i wasn't judging, but i am also glad to hear that...

i wasn't assuming you played 10hours.. maybe left it open and came back etc. otherwise it'd be like golem humping his precious.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #11
BoomsdayDevice
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
i wasn't judging, but i am also glad to hear that...

i wasn't assuming you played 10hours.. maybe left it open and came back etc. otherwise it'd be like golem humping his precious.

Oh dont get me wrong haha. Give me some good beer and I could make a run at 10-12.

And hahahaha
Old 03-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #12
BoomsdayDevice
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Sorry. I know this is the wrong spot but this is the error I get. The couple times this has happened was just when Im rebooting the game after not playing for a day or so.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #13
BoomsdayDevice
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post

I sent you a PM but not sure if it went through. The error says...

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: ...\steamapps\common\Out of the Park Baseball a8\ootp18.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I sent you a PM but not sure if it went through. The error says...

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: ...\steamapps\common\Out of the Park Baseball a8\ootp18.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

That'll be an easy fix for you... does it have a version # of the missing runtime library?

if so google that with "microsoft" and it should be near top... only download from microsoft!

i'd show you which if i could delineate from the ~20 or so installed on my pc... i have no idea which are for OotP and which are for many other programs installed. (you may only have a few in the 'uninstall list' or many... just depends)

anyway, this is a simple little thing to download and re-install. if you or others that use the pc have tried to clean things up by uninstalling things from teh computer, never uninstall any MVC listing. they are tiny. they are not malicious. just leave them alone.

heh, i lied.. i have fewer since i installed win 10... looks like these:
Attached Images

Last edited by NoOne; 03-16-2019 at 06:07 PM.