Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
OpusTheFowl
Minors (Double A)

Revisting FHM

So after the rather bumpy launch, I played a few season and then dropped the game due to its many issues. Now after 13 months I thought to give it a try to see where things stand.

1947 Historic
GM only role for the Canadians

Won the cup in 47/48
Lost in the finals in 48/49
Fired after posting a 19-22-4 record which was good enough for 1st
Hired by Detroit in 1953
Lost in the finals in 53/54
Lost in the finals in 54/55 (finished with 89pts!)
Fired after posting a 17-12-7 record which was good enough for 1st

To top the insult, the salary budget was $53M over BOS's $79M. Winning and doing it on the cheap yet I'm fired...***sigh*** Think I was around +80 on goal diff too...lol...

BUGS
- Top menu bar (3rd box from left) does not tally ties and only shows W/L. Example: 20-14-0 45 (assuming 5 ties)

- On manager's home screen, far left "Next game" standings only showed 5 teams.

- Just before being fired from MTL, there was a trade request from another team. When I was fired, the request flag stayed and was still there years later when in DET.

- Trading seems totally broken as trying to bargain with a player is pointless. I could list examples but I suspect people have already heard this a few times

So, I'm thinking this historic game file is dead as even if I'm winning for $25M less than the other guy, I'm still going to get canned by a psycho owner...What is the best setting for FHM right now? Should I try something else or give it another year?

Thanks!

Last edited by OpusTheFowl; 04-18-2014 at 07:26 PM.
OpusTheFowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
OpusTheFowl
Minors (Double A)

So after the "fired for silly reasons" bug(?) ruined my 1947 Canadians run I decided to try a build the Kings into a powerhouse starting from 1967.Managed to squeak into 4th in the west and then make it to the semi-finals before getting thumped-out in 4 by Pittsburgh.

Put a ton of time in during the off-season to find the best scouts, assistant coaches and head coach. Also dove in and shortlisted a ton of players to go after.

Sadly, I think FHM though is still just too ruff to warrant the time needed to make it work and I need to put it down.

- no ability to sort by value personnel by value (I had to use pencil and paper!)

- filters come pre-checked meaning if you want to look for a position, you must deselect 4. Why not just open the menu with everything unchecked so it's only one click to get the position you want.

- when you sort a list and dress/undress a player, the sort is lost making you have to do it again

- tradings "I can't agree to this trade but it's close to being alright" message is nearly useless

- the assistant coach does things that it's not supposed to do (really annoying)

- saving money is meaningless therefore the budget is meaningless

- ATM, as you must have "retire in correct year" turned on, there is no way to know when a player will just quit. Had a 29 year old player earning millions just quit before 30...out of the blue

- as I learned, assistants don't do anything regarding tactics

- why is there no way to see how past season's playoffs unfolded?

- many more..

Any how, the current FHM is a huge improvement from a year ago but it seems to be lateral improvement and not forward improvements.

I would recommend that at this point in time, fix bugs but halt all development. Take the next year to retool this into an NHL level only management game with a great real-time engine...once that's all sorted, then start adding on to it. The behemoth that FHM is now will require years more of fixing before it's close to being complete.

This is not meant as a slam and I still am happy to have been one of the first to buy this game. If they said FHM is dead and FHM2-lite will be release in Q1 or 2015, I'd be first to pre-order...I just want a 100% functional game and not months/years more of this...

Again, with all respect and best wishes...
OpusTheFowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Sebmono
Minors (Single A)

I only play in modern day so with exception of the historic mode-only points you made I agree with everything you said. Especially when it comes to the idea of them focusing on a FHM-lite version with smaller scope, it definitely seems the devds bit off more than they could chew for this first version (which, in all fairness, they themselves have conceded).

On a side note, the issue you mention with assistant coaches doing things they aren't supposed to is related to you hiring a head coach, which is a bug since head coach hiring was supposed to be disabled.
Sebmono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
asilvermtzion
Minors (Double A)

i think a counter offer from the ai would be more useful than seeing 'this trade is close to being alright' all the time.
asilvermtzion is offline   Reply With Quote