Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-31-2015, 06:14 PM   #61
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klew1986 View Post
I'm now working on testing with some LTM I got via a spreadsheet (forget which one). I'm going to sim a few years and see how numbers look.
if you can, let it run over night or while you work during the day for a more confident assessment of the results.

it's easy to be fooled by randomness of small samples. e.g. 100year info i posted before had a very different first 10-20years for some statistical categories compared to the 100year result.

if you're already already happy with what you got, nevermind. once they are close to what you want be happy, otherwise you can split hairs for weeks on it, if you're not careful.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:21 PM   #62
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
if you can, let it run over night or while you work during the day for a more confident assessment of the results.

it's easy to be fooled by randomness of small samples. e.g. 100year info i posted before had a very different first 10-20years for some statistical categories compared to the 100year result.

if you're already already happy with what you got, nevermind. once they are close to what you want be happy, otherwise you can split hairs for weeks on it, if you're not careful.
What should I start modifiers at? I will be doing a 24 team league.
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:23 PM   #63
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i appologize to the OP. i have a couple people who can't let go of a previous thread. i should have never replied to any of it, because it has very little to do with your thread and question.

e.g. RichW's reply "What is the point in generating meaningless mods?"

had he read the post he quoted it should have been obvious. instead, he is just taking one sentence out of context and using it as an argument (a logical fallacy). it is obviously personal for him at this point.
It was a genuine question. My personal issue is with you making a fairly simple concept seem really difficult and that may dissuade some less experienced players from managing their leagues better. You seem to be taking this way too seriously.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:41 AM   #64
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
I am attempting to attach the spreadsheet I created, which is based on (and uses many aspects of) RchW's prior work.

It's designed for use with one league, but there's no reason you couldn't save a copy for each of your minor leagues, too.

There is a lot of stuff there. One of the worksheets included has instructions, but to simplify, all you need to do is the following:

1. Before beginning, go to the Desired Totals spreadsheet (one of the tabs on the bottom). Enter the numbers you want in all cells that are not shaded red. Leave the red shades cells alone. You need to enter the batting, fielding, and pitching totals you want, but you only need to do this once (unless you want to change the statistical environment of the league, of course.) I called it Desired Totals because your desired totals might not be based on a real life year, but if you're basing your numbers on a real MLB season, this is where all of those numbers go. All of the numbers are available at baseball-reference with the possible exception of total league passed balls (I couldn't find that one.)

2. After entering the Desired Totals, go back to the Main Worksheet. Like I said, there's a bunch of stuff all over the place on the sheet, and the setup of the spreadsheet is less than elegant to say the least, but as a general rule, you don't have to do anything (and shouldn't do anything) with any cell shaded red. The only places you need to input data are:

A. As instructed on the sheet, copy and paste your batting stats, pitching stats, and fielding stats into the relevant areas. You get these by doing a CSV Dump (go to the database tab, data base tools drop down (top right), and click export data to CSV files (fourth up from the bottom). This will put your files in (under normal installations) Documents/Out of the Park Developments/OOTP Baseball 16/saved_games/your saved game name/import_export//csv

The three files you need are league_history_batting_stats, league_history_pitching_stats, and league_history_fielding stats. Just copy and paste the two rows closest to the top that start with your most recent season (or one, if you only have one subleague) into the sheet.

B. Go to the second to last item of the sheet, where it asks you to input your current modifiers. Input the modifiers you are currently using from your Stats and AI tab.

3. Your suggested modifiers will automatically display in the box on the bottom of the main sheet. Ask OOTP to calculate its own modifiers. Compare to the suggested ones on the sheet. If there is a major divergence on any of them, compare your season results to the expected season results in the variation charts and see which you think is best, or split the difference. If they're close (and in my experience they generally tend to be as long as you run the autocalc right before the season), just go with what the game suggests.
In the spreadsheet, I see "e" listed below K on the Mods part on the Main Sheet tab. What does that "e" represent?
Old 11-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #65
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
It was a genuine question. My personal issue is with you making a fairly simple concept seem really difficult and that may dissuade some less experienced players from managing their leagues better. You seem to be taking this way too seriously.
if you thought i called the mods in game meaningless, you should read what i originally wrote one more time. you guys seem to clue in on a word or phrase you don't like and ignore the rest. one of you got upset when i used the phrase "just roll with it." as if it was a criticism of the game or something... so sensitive and offbase. everything is like an exposed nerve when i reply to you guys.

you have a different opinion. stop stalking me around forums - this particular example you were being purposefuly obtuse and taking a sentence out of context. i'm pretty sure you guys rarely even read the entirety of what i type, so how can you reply with anything meaningful to somethign you haven't read? i'm never surprised by stereotypical forum behaviour, but i need to get better at ignoring it. it's like i am in that SNL skit with nick burns the company computer tech.

arbitrarily changing the environment of a sim is not logical. anyone who understands just the basics of statistics should know this. or, they possibly don't know what arbitrary means and make assumptions based on misinterpreting the idea(s) being communicated. your way is not 'better' in my eyes. so, i will continue to offer my opinion or advice to people regardless of whether you approve. just give your separate opinion and allow the person to weigh all the choices - certainly not just our opinions. it's not a competition. i could care less, if someone takes my advice, especially some inconsequential video game.

you and the other one didn't enter this thread trying to help the op, your initial entrace was about continuing an argument from an old thread. yet, by merely replying to your arguments and/or questions i am the one taking it too seriously?

on second thought, i'll take your advice and stop replying. it will be an early new year's resolution.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #66
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

I responded to your "just roll with it" phrase because, despite being able to make things work for yourself, your posts consistently suggest you are unaware of how league totals themselves actually work. Though these inner-workings are more than a little complex to wrap your head around, it becomes much easier to deal with things like LTM and whatnot if you do know how these totals actually work.

There is something on the order of 15 years of posted material about how league totals actually influence results rattling around on these forums. For the average user, spending the time to dig them up would be somewhat senseless. You, however, appear to be the kind who enjoys the esoteric nature of the game engine, so I'm trying to point you in the right direction.
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #67
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In the spreadsheet, I see "e" listed below K on the Mods part on the Main Sheet tab. What does that "e" represent?
If it is similar to my sheet then it's a placeholder for an error LTM that doesn't exist. OOTP calculates errors by position ie nine of them. I use that space in another calculation in a different version of this work.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #68
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
realistic numbers is irrelevant... each to their own on that.

dumbed down version of logical fallacies: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/
And, thanks for including the handy-dandy dumbed-down chart of logical fallacies. It's been awhile since I've seen someone do that. But since I'm kind of dumb, it was a good refresher.

It was also helpful and fun to review this chart, because with it I can say that since your goal (the only variable that influences stats should be player ratings) is not the only valid goal that people can have, you are committing a well-intentioned "special pleading."

It helps me categorize your insistence that any viewpoint other than yours is "illogical" as essentially a "loaded question." And since you don't seem to accept that, for others, the goal of merely getting stats that feel right is proper and acceptable (that often people don't care that 90 Power vs. 90 Movement is consistent over the seasons), your arguments fit into the category of a "burden of proof" fallacy.

In addition, I can use it to suggest that your adherence to the purety of the idea that league totals should never change (while great and wonderful for you, and not a problem at all) has a hint of the "no true Scotsman" fallacy.

At the end of the day, there is no reason to make anyone feel they are playing the game wrong as long as they are getting what they want out of it. The OOTP universe, is not a world in which there is only one right way. As such, advocating for your view as the only "logical" approach is a very clear "black and white" fallacy.

That said, you can certainly use this note itself to accuse me of a "tuquoque" fallacy, though I think that's stretching it a little. You can probably attempt to say I'm creating a Strawman fallacy of your position, but I think the general outsider would disagree with that assessment (I _am_ me, though, so what else would I think, eh?). You could even say that my insistence that it's "logical" that people have goals that are well met by adjusting the league totals every year is a "special pleading" of my own (though again, I believe most unbiased bystanders would think otherwise ... shrug).

Regardless, I do always find it interesting to see how people view such discussions, applying the chart to these discussions have been fun for me, if nothing else. So, thanks!

I do think that if we were sitting in a pub and chatting about this in person, we would have a great time jotting great notes on the back of wet napkins and would agree about almost everything we're discussing here by the end of the first pint.
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #69
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

NoOne: Thanks for helping Klew out with his modifier settings. He is a good friend of mine on Steam and it's always nice to see people helping out one another.

When it comes to modifiers I import historical settings. There is an option that allows the seasons to progress chronologically and concurrently with my fictional PBA league. For instance, in my PBA universe it is in 1963. I have it set to load historical settings each season. So right now I'm playing with 1963 historical settings. Next year it will advance to 1964 settings.

So, for me, I don't have to worry about any of this. My advice to Klew was to pick a season that he likes and import those stats. If he wants his stats to be flat every year then all he would have to do is load the same season every off season. The actual HR's, 2B's, 3B's etc do not really matter because the ratio is what controls the output. In the same vein it doesn't matter that if the player has 24 teams and MLB has 30. The ratio and distribution would be the same all else being equal.

So my question for you is, "Was my advice sound?"

If not, can you tell me why?

If my advice was sound then aren't we spending a lot of time and effort on something that could be controlled much more simply with a specific default MLB season?

Lastly, please don't get testy, but you come off as way too aggressive with the way you throw your thoughts around. My advice to you would be to learn a little charm.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 11-02-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #70
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Hey. I'm working on a new fictional world project. I'm going to start with 10 teams and work my way to 24 teams. I'm starting in 1900 and simulating until end of 2014 season. I know we went back and forth about LTMs, so I thought I might ask which year/era you would recommend and how to go about getting LTMs just right.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:16 PM   #71
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey. I'm working on a new fictional world project. I'm going to start with 10 teams and work my way to 24 teams. I'm starting in 1900 and simulating until end of 2014 season. I know we went back and forth about LTMs, so I thought I might ask which year/era you would recommend and how to go about getting LTMs just right.
You've already got my recommendation in your other thread, so I'll just point to that thread and hope you get what you're looking for.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #72
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

what style of play do you find the most entertaining?

i am not an expert on eras, so i can't make solid suggestions on imports and their effects.

early years due to equipment will have extreme amounts of fielding errors compared to modern day.

you pick a year from the steroid era, and you fluctuate around 5000 home runs.

if you are most familiar with the modern totals and modifiers, i'd start there. maybe take a screenshot. then import different years and see the resulting totals change (if only modifiers change, that's just as good). comparing the difference will allow you to predict what that era is like, even without the experience of playing those years.

maybe you want to let it run wild, maybe you want to shape it. as long as you enjoy it, you're not doing it wrong.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #73
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

I'm back to set up a new fictional game and trying to figure out what to do with LTMs.