Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

Real Player Personality Traits

I'd like to know some of the reasoning behind real MLB player personalities in OOTP. It seems like some players are hurt, developmentally, because of what seems like pre-programmed personalities that have been in the games for a couple years now.

For example, Pete Alonso is "unmotivated" (low work ethic). Michael Kopech on the White Sox is disruptive. I think Alex Verdugo is too. Dee Gordon is selfish, even though in real life he was nominated for the Roberto Clemente Award for his charity work. There are dozens of examples, I just know those are off the top of my head.

Are there any particular reasons for these personalities or were they just random?
LegalEagle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

Random (95% sure)
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
DaBears
Major Leagues

They don't seem to have any rationale behind them. Have always assumed random.

When I take a team, I got into Editor and modify at least all of the key players to what they seem to be in real life.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

That is tough, though, and would hold me back from absolute enjoyment of a real MLB league. I am reasonably sure I have read that personality traits for real MLB players are randomly generated. Else, two things: The designers who maintain these databases would have a heck of a job researching, deciding, and designating real player personality traits, and said players who received less than admirable traits may have a real beef with said designers. Don't real MLB simulation game players turn off personality traits, usually?

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:24 PM   #5
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
iirc there is no spot in the online editor for those. I'll need to look when I get on my computer to say for sure. But it would be a cool end user mod to go in and clean them up and see if it affects the players and if so how much?
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:06 AM   #6
DaBears
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
That is tough, though, and would hold me back from absolute enjoyment of a real MLB league. I am reasonably sure I have read that personality traits for real MLB players are randomly generated. Else, two things: The designers who maintain these databases would have a heck of a job researching, deciding, and designating real player personality traits, and said players who received less than admirable traits may have a real beef with said designers. Don't real MLB simulation game players turn off personality traits, usually?
Good point. You would almost have to be a fan of a team and really follow it to know what personalities are. When I modify, in all honesty, I only do it for my team and if I see something odd for another by chance. It makes the game more enjoyable for me to have a little realism in it. I don't feel like I cheat because I do make jerks IRL into jerks in the game as well.

Long-time fan of several real-life teams due to moving around a lot, so when I see a Posey or Molina as not a leader, I just want more realism. But I know those players. Is Michael Fulmer a leader, greedy, intelligent? I have no earthly idea so you raise a good point
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:14 AM   #7
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Yup its random. Useful for players who restart from opening day a lot. I think I read that play style is increasingly the norm. Someone might play 5-15 years then restart with another team from Day 1.

Each time the personality traits would be random. So it adds "flavor". I think its a great idea in general. Many video games institute some kind of trait system.

However I think everytime OOTP expands it's scope beyond just baseball it perhaps doesn't go far enough.

Perhaps no pro with 5+ years of service should start with a random trait on opening day. All traits should be gained in some kind of story event. Either completely random based upon a certain list or from some kind of story chain. They ask gm/manager for such and such you reply etc boom he gets one of these traits. Motorsport Manager has traits based upon these story events and your decisions will generally decide between traits your drivers/players get.

The personality in OOTP is very simplify with like 4-6 types. There should probably be a list of a couple dozen that give whichever effects. With some being able to get randomly from player based upon seasons/stats/etc and others based upon story elements.

That way it is engaging to the human player. The way it is implemented now there is no engagement with the human player aka us. I can see why people turn personality traits and chemistry and all the fluff off.

I tend to love all of the fluff and think it be really good for OOTP from a video game perspective but often the fluff options don't go far enough or aren't fully developed so it kind of just leaves me disappointed in thinking what it could be like.

Challenge mode another good example of something I think isn't really working correctly in the game. It ends up locking out a huge portion of OOTP and then it leaves the human player stuck not able to fix something. At first I thought it was like other games hardcore/ironman mode but those other ones don't lock out game mechanics.

Really should implement a system like Battletech which gives a multiplier to each option a player selects then adds it up for a total multiplier that can give a score comparison between players. You can have 2 players both in ironman mode but with slightly different options so one might get a .85 score multiplier and another player get a 1.25 multiplier. That way no game options are locked out.

Personality, chemistry, the stories, newspaper, "fan" its the same thing. Lot of this stuff is great ideas but it only goes so far and over time it can just either be annoying or be a disappointment since the game dictates a lot of it to the player without human player interaction.

No one does a better job in baseball then OOTP it's tops by far. But world building, human player interaction, story telling and maybe even fun OOTP sometimes gets tripped up in those areas.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #8
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
No one does a better job in baseball then OOTP it's tops by far. But world building, human player interaction, story telling and maybe even fun OOTP sometimes gets tripped up in those areas.
I agree with the above except perhaps "maybe even fun." OOTPB is always fun but it could be even more fun if such "fluff" were more fully developed.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #9
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
Good point. You would almost have to be a fan of a team and really follow it to know what personalities are. When I modify, in all honesty, I only do it for my team and if I see something odd for another by chance. It makes the game more enjoyable for me to have a little realism in it. I don't feel like I cheat because I do make jerks IRL into jerks in the game as well.

Long-time fan of several real-life teams due to moving around a lot, so when I see a Posey or Molina as not a leader, I just want more realism. But I know those players. Is Michael Fulmer a leader, greedy, intelligent? I have no earthly idea so you raise a good point

I'm with you. I watch 150ish Brewers games every year and follow the team well on social media so I have a good grasp on who is who and what is what. The first thing I do is make Braun reflect the cheating, lying scumbag he actually is. When it comes to the players of other teams I would have no clue about 90% of them.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #10
LegalEagle80
Minors (Double A)

I don't think it's random upon starting -- the personalities are hard-coded into each player. Meaning, while it might be "random" that Dee Gordon was labeled selfish by the developers, his personality will be the same no matter how many times you start a new game.

I don't mind the random personalities except for the stuff that does affect development, like when someone has low work ethic or intelligence. I usually bump those up to normal levels.
LegalEagle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:14 PM   #11
Hoiles
All Star Reserve

There are definitely some players with personalities to reflect real-life, or at least their reputation they have in public. Buster Posey and Andrew McCutchen are nice guys while Bryce Harper and Manny Machado are jerks. Can’t be a coincidence. Though some players’ personalities changed from older OOTP versions. I remember Starling Marte used to be a leader but now he’s a jerk.
Hoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:40 AM   #12
Argonaut
All Star Starter

It's not random, check out Chris Davis or Yaisel Puig. Some of them may be inaccurate, though it's tough to measure intangibles I'm sure. I've seen some change over versions, I think Ender Inciarte used to have a bad personality, now he has a good one. Someone's behind the wheel on this.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:47 AM   #13
Karl Pagel Blues
Minors (Single A)

It's not random. Just one example.

Javy Baez has a "selfish" personality and a low work ethic.

This has been the case with every OOTP version since Baez made it to the majors.

Whether or not you agree with those traits, they are not randomly assigned.

Not sure who assigns these traits, but perhaps they should be reviewed and updated periodically.
Attached Images
Karl Pagel Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:14 AM   #14
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Hmmmm nice knowledge and slouthing done here.

I wonder if it is just some "Star" type players that are predetermined from some roster file that is getting passed from version to version and then its random for everyone else?

Cause I for sure have seen minor league players and unknowns have different traits from universe to universe in the same version.

I probably personally don't pay attention enough to the star players. I am thinking there are 2 trait mechanics going on. Assigned and random.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote