Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #1
Mikecouil
Minors (Triple A)

Training new positions

In entry league I was swapping my 2B and SS to have them both train at each other's spots and then I had my outfield mixed around as well. They were all decently trained and then I got promoted and it defaulted back to the original nothingness.

Is that ONLY for entry league or can I toss out the idea of cross training to prepare for the next season altogether?
Mikecouil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #2
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

entry league training resets when you are moved to your regular tier (rookie, stone, iron in the first push).

after that, it will carry over season-to-season
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
Mikecouil
Minors (Triple A)

Thank you much.
Mikecouil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:38 AM   #4
The Otter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

A semi-related question: do players learn positions during tournaments, or only during the main season?
The Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:47 AM   #5
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Otter View Post
A semi-related question: do players learn positions during tournaments, or only during the main season?

Nope, tourneys are purely 'virgin' card ratings.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:51 AM   #6
Matty86
Major Leagues

Is there any set amount of time that players need to play at a new position to get a rating there?
Matty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #7
Threnodas
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty86 View Post
Is there any set amount of time that players need to play at a new position to get a rating there?
No, it’s not as simple as X number of games = full experience at a position. The rating increases slowly and non-linearly with each game/inning played. It increases fastest for players with high fielding ratings and for positions that are easiest to play (father to the left on the defensive spectrum). It increases slowest for players with low fielding ratings and for the hardest positions to play on the right of the spectrum, and if you don't see the first rating point after the first couple games, he might not have good enough fielding ratings to gain a rating at that position at all.

Edit: This is how training at new positions works in both classic OOTP and PT, but the bit about never getting a rating should be less relevant in PT, because the game should prevent you from playing him there in the first place.

Last edited by Threnodas; 04-04-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Threnodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #8
RossN
Bat Boy

I just got Dave Winfield through the Padres mission. I'm trying him in LF for the remainder of the season to see how he does. (His card only has a rating for RF)
RossN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #9
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossN View Post
I just got Dave Winfield through the Padres mission. I'm trying him in LF for the remainder of the season to see how he does. (His card only has a rating for RF)
He should be about as good, maybe slightly better even is my wild guess.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #10
ubernoob
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossN View Post
He will be better in left than in right.

He will be around 80+ in LF once fully trained there.

There's one easy way to remember this for outfielders as a general rule:

If their Arm is higher than their Range/Error, they will be better in RF. If their Range/Error is higher than their Arm, they will be better in LF.

If they have good range/error/arm in abundance, play them in CF (most of the time it will be CFs retraining to LF or RF though, save for if you want them to be a backup with 50-70 defense.)

Last edited by ubernoob; 04-10-2020 at 07:48 PM.
ubernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:06 PM   #11
Matty86
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threnodas View Post
No, it’s not as simple as X number of games = full experience at a position. The rating increases slowly and non-linearly with each game/inning played. It increases fastest for players with high fielding ratings and for positions that are easiest to play (father to the left on the defensive spectrum). It increases slowest for players with low fielding ratings and for the hardest positions to play on the right of the spectrum, and if you don't see the first rating point after the first couple games, he might not have good enough fielding ratings to gain a rating at that position at all.

Edit: This is how training at new positions works in both classic OOTP and PT, but the bit about never getting a rating should be less relevant in PT, because the game should prevent you from playing him there in the first place.
Thanks! I was wondering how much it may differ from the normal game, this is good info thank you!
Matty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #12
EJ
Minors (Double A)

Somewhat along these lines . . . if a player has learned a new position and is then sold at auction, does he carry that new position with him? TIA.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #13
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Somewhat along these lines . . . if a player has learned a new position and is then sold at auction, does he carry that new position with him? TIA.

I believe so, yes.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote