Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
SmoothGentleman
Major Leagues

How Close?

Is this game to being stable? I was hoping for a Demo to test things out, but I see that isn't available. So, I will ask the community how close the game is right now to being a clean product?

Thank You
SmoothGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
bob
Minors (Double A)

you can play ... but they miss lot of thing because its the first version . but at the end its gonna be a very good game
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #3
kelt
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGentleman View Post
Is this game to being stable? I was hoping for a Demo to test things out, but I see that isn't available. So, I will ask the community how close the game is right now to being a clean product?

Thank You
Better wait for at least next patch
kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
Duranium
All Star Starter

still a bit buggy nut with huuuuuge potential
If you´re a hockey-fan it´s a must-buy imo
Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGentleman View Post

Thank You
You just need to figure out for yourself how much "potential" is worth. I wouldn't buy the game until there was a significant price drop if I could do it over again.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
SmoothGentleman
Major Leagues

I think I'll wait, perhaps if there was a demo. I really want to play the game, but not a rushed product.
SmoothGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

Probably the wisest decision...
Old 11-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
puck
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
still a bit buggy nut with huuuuuge potential
If you´re a hockey-fan it´s a must-buy imo
Come on mate, how is this a “must buy” for any hockey fan? I agree with the huge potential, but clearly FHM 14 isn’t at that stage yet.
I'd wait for a patch or two. I'm personally gonna leave it until the 2015 version.
puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

The way I play the game-there is almost no problems. It all depends of what's important too you. I could care less about player ratings ,trades and fights and if Dave Schultz had 2 more PIM in a real life season than in FHM. I want the game as different as possible as the real world.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #10
traveler99
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
The way I play the game-there is almost no problems. It all depends of what's important too you. I could care less about player ratings ,trades and fights and if Dave Schultz had 2 more PIM in a real life season than in FHM. I want the game as different as possible as the real world.
This is not important to you? you settle for quite little...

1.) In-game - Matchups say (ex.) Flyers at "team x", when Flyers are actually home team and vice versa, showing Flyers vs "team x" when Flyers are actually on road. This is under the "play game" tab.

2.) Opposing team tactics - When viewing opposing team tactics, all lines and tactics are identical. No variation and they appear to be on "default" settings. Don't know if this is intentional, as in we're not supposed to "know" what the other team's tactics are, or the game isn't generating tactics for non-user controlled teams.

3.) Scouting - I understand the conceptual difference between pro and amateur scouting, however, I don't know what the game considers to be pro vs. amateur players for leagues outside N. America. Example: Scouting in Scandavia - the Swedish league in real life is arguably a top 3 league worldwide, but am I scouting pros or amateurs since they aren't necessarily "NHL caliber"?

4.) Fitness/Game-shape - Players always seem to be at 100 for fitness. I would imagine that as the season wears on, it would be rare to see players at a 100 rating unless they hadn't played in awhile due to being a scratch or injured.

5.) Trading Block - Would be nice to set a list of "wants" for AI to perhaps tailor trade offers.

6.) General UI improvements, facilitating ease of use and making a more intuitive system would be a nice improvement. I'm not well versed in such UI knowledge, so I'm probably not the best to articulate what needs to be done to improve things.

7.) International Tournaments - World Championships/Junior Worlds/Olympics - If these teams could be included and populated based on in-game performance, that would be awesome. Perhaps you could have the option of watching the tournaments be simmed or you could be selected as a manager and/or coach for these teams based on your success as a manager/coach.

8.) All-Star Game - Get to see voting and results of game over different leagues. Controlling an NHL team, as an example, if you lead your conference in overall point percentage at the break, you get to manage the team.
traveler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:55 AM   #11
traveler99
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck View Post
Come on mate, how is this a “must buy” for any hockey fan? I agree with the huge potential, but clearly FHM 14 isn’t at that stage yet.
I'd wait for a patch or two. I'm personally gonna leave it until the 2015 version.
Puck is right on there...i will wait until 2016 show up and review it then, now its too mess of a game to be enjoyable. Honestly i'm sick and tired of hearing everywhere the clichee "Huuuuuuge potential" and all the other excuses in the book, every game has potential until it gets there, this one does not have yet but hopefully someday it will.
traveler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:34 AM   #12
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler99 View Post

1.) In-game - Matchups say (ex.) Flyers at "team x", when Flyers are actually home team and vice versa, showing Flyers vs "team x" when Flyers are actually on road. This is under the "play game" tab.

2.) Opposing team tactics - When viewing opposing team tactics, all lines and tactics are identical. No variation and they appear to be on "default" settings. Don't know if this is intentional, as in we're not supposed to "know" what the other team's tactics are, or the game isn't generating tactics for non-user controlled teams.

3.) Scouting - I understand the conceptual difference between pro and amateur scouting, however, I don't know what the game considers to be pro vs. amateur players for leagues outside N. America. Example: Scouting in Scandavia - the Swedish league in real life is arguably a top 3 league worldwide, but am I scouting pros or amateurs since they aren't necessarily "NHL caliber"?

4.) Fitness/Game-shape - Players always seem to be at 100 for fitness. I would imagine that as the season wears on, it would be rare to see players at a 100 rating unless they hadn't played in awhile due to being a scratch or injured.

5.) Trading Block - Would be nice to set a list of "wants" for AI to perhaps tailor trade offers.

6.) General UI improvements, facilitating ease of use and making a more intuitive system would be a nice improvement. I'm not well versed in such UI knowledge, so I'm probably not the best to articulate what needs to be done to improve things.

7.) International Tournaments - World Championships/Junior Worlds/Olympics - If these teams could be included and populated based on in-game performance, that would be awesome. Perhaps you could have the option of watching the tournaments be simmed or you could be selected as a manager and/or coach for these teams based on your success as a manager/coach.

8.) All-Star Game - Get to see voting and results of game over different leagues. Controlling an NHL team, as an example, if you lead your conference in overall point percentage at the break, you get to manage the team.
I've requested #7 and #8 on many occasions. Plus a 2-D engine. Plus all the editors turned on.

I will be really disappointed if expansion and moving teams isn't available on the next patch. But with all that said,I'm fairly happy with the progress of the game. Still along ways to go before it get's too everyone's liking.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck View Post
I agree with you on it´s not there yet (i could go crazy about all the bugs in the historical mode) but if everyone waits like you there won´t be any FHM 2015 - simple as that
Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
I agree with you on it´s not there yet (i could go crazy about all the bugs in the historical mode) but if everyone waits like you there won´t be any FHM 2015 - simple as that
Meh... I'd rather get value for my money.. And paying $40 for that game, you dont get nearly what is promised. Why invest in a substandard product? Simple as that..

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
It CAN be as different as possible but the heart and soul of sports management games rests with being able to evaluate players without actually "watching" them play (ratings), managing your roster (trades and scouting), and statistics (PIM, goals, assists etc).

The RESULTS can be as different as you want them to be, but without those core factors, a sports management game is not worth playing to me.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 11-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #16
jslmsca
All Star Reserve

I'll provide a contrarian opinion. I waited until the 1.4.15 build/patch because of the "horror stories" I read in this forum. I wasn't going to purchase but as a huge hockey and sports management simulation fan, decided to take the plunge.

I'm definitely pleased I did. Yes, there are things that could be improved and features not implemented. But as someone who plays as strictly a GM, using only the NHL, I'm enjoying the game.

To each his own...
jslmsca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #17
truebatman
Minors (Double A)

I'm completely in agreement with Jslmsca... I don't even do GM, I just do commissioner only, don't control anyone, use the NHL and I just enjoy watching things play out so I've enjoyed it alot, same thing I do for the baseball game... so yeah, each his own...
truebatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #18
kevin316
Bat Boy

I have been enjoying this game, a must buy if your a hockey fan. Needs improvements but looking at ootp track record there going to get this right. I've own baseball games from ootp 7 to 14 and I'll be buying 15. Everyone enjoys a game in there own way and this games pretty cool.
kevin316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #19
flyers139
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler99 View Post

I'm glad my suggestions were well received by at least one person....

In any event, I've also noticed a couple more things that could be improved.

9a.) In-game reports list a section for the 3 stars of the game. This list never gets populated, even at the conclusion of a game.

9b.) In-game issue: Played a game last night where I had two goals scored against me in quick succession. Upon looking at the game report, the two goals were scored 2 seconds apart. This is literally impossible to recreate in real-life. Timing of generated events in-game needs improvement.

10.) On the team home page, the sections for who's hot/who's not never gets populated (in my experience)

11.) When looking at skater stats, there are some categories that are listed but do not compute correctly. As an example, GWG (game-winning goals)...Finished a season with the Wild last night and everyone in the league was listed as having 0 GWG's which clearly is impossible.

12.) Simulation stopping: When skipping ahead on the calendar, I see the button that says "press esc or click to stop sim". Clicking or pressing escape does not seem to work.

13.) Offering contracts: Currently, I run into issues with contract negotiations where I offer a contract, player basically says "I like your offer, tell me where to sign" but I don't get the option to "submit offer". Essentially, that tells me that the player says he likes my offer but the game is telling me that he doesn't like the offer. Could we have improved functionality with negotiations/submitting offers? This is not an issue with all negotiations. Usually, if I negotiate and then get to a point where I meet the demands of the player, then I can submit the offer. However, it is not uncommon to ask for a response on an offer that the player says he likes, but then it won't let me submit the offer.

- Scouting updates as the season goes on. Don't know if this is a feature that I've currently been overlooking; if so, make these features more easily accessible.

- Maybe more realistic goalie stats. Entered postseason last night and checked on season stats: 12 starting NHL goalies had sub-2.00 GAA. That's crazy in today's game.

- Player moods: If a player becomes unhappy, sometimes it is easy to guess why (demotions, less ice time), other times it's not. Could we have a feature that shows us why a player is happy/unhappy?

- Suspensions: Possible to include for illegal hits? (could link frequency of occurrence to player discipline or physicality maybe. If you could suspend someone for substance abuse, that would just be hysterical. (imagine a world where the league mvp is a meth addict LOL).

Overall, loving the game. There are many little things that might be able to be improved that could make this series a real gem.

Last edited by flyers139; 11-20-2013 at 12:53 PM.
flyers139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #20
renojedi
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebatman View Post
I'm completely in agreement with Jslmsca... I don't even do GM, I just do commissioner only, don't control anyone, use the NHL and I just enjoy watching things play out so I've enjoyed it alot, same thing I do for the baseball game... so yeah, each his own...
I think that is the type of player you have to be to enjoy the current state of FHM. I, on the other hand, play out every game (so I guess that is a coach/GM style?). The commentary (or lack thereof) is what keeps me from playing this game. Very little info is provided to help you have the mental picture of what is going on. You get shots, goals, face off wins...but who is passing to whom? Who just laid a big check on an opponent? Who just took a stick to the face? Who is cycling the puck well in the opposing zone?

Instead, you get one event and then the next line of text could come 5+ minutes later depending on the game.

So as a GM only who didn't care about that stuff maybe the game would be acceptable. But playing as I do (and as I do on all other sports management sims I own), I won't play this game until this area is improved. At this point, why even have a in-game function? You could give me the box score and I will get the same amount of info from it.
renojedi is offline   Reply With Quote