Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

To all the veteran members

Now that OOTP is on Steam, we've been having a lot of new players come on the board. Remember, this is a good thing. We want more people to play OOTP. So make them feel welcome. Resist the urge to treat them like idiots and jerks, like you would the usual gang of knuckleheads around here. Remember that sarcasm doesn't translate very well on the internet, and that some of these new players are young -- younger even than you were when you broke your first tooth on a plank of Topps chewing gum. Assume that all questions are in earnest and all questioners are sincere. Play nice and share your toys and everyone will be happy.

By the way, I get to say this because this is my 1000th post, which I guess makes me a junior-knucklehead or something like that.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
le receveur
All Star Starter

and to all the newbies who spend way to much time here

same applies, remember 3 months ago it as you who was afraid of sounding ridiculous with your question...

edit: also learn to spell... TOO much
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Joe, you have to admit that it's a bit difficult when you encounter a "knucklehead" noob like this one. Read through that thread and you will see what I mean.

However, you are absolutely right and I intend to live up to your request, subject to the requirements that I stated in that thread. Thanks for your post.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Joe, you have to admit that it's a bit difficult when you encounter a "knucklehead" noob like this one. Read through that thread and you will see what I mean.

However, you are absolutely right and I intend to live up to your request, subject to the requirements that I stated in that thread. Thanks for your post.
I agree, but I personally always try to be helpful with my first post in a thread, regardless of how asinine the OP is being. If that doesn't rectify the situation, then the OP is a true troll and/or knucklehead, and deserves to be treated as such. But everyone deserves that first attempt to be polite, and I think that's what joe's saying here.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yeah, that spiraled out of control pretty quickly. Inevitably, there will be someone who will post something like "the game won't let me win the world series, it must be broken!" All I can do is urge restraint.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #6
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
I agree, but I personally always try to be helpful with my first post in a thread, regardless of how asinine the OP is being. If that doesn't rectify the situation, then the OP is a true troll and/or knucklehead, and deserves to be treated as such. But everyone deserves that first attempt to be polite, and I think that's what joe's saying here.

problem, is other might see that and not understand we were trying our best. I know at first seeing some of the comments around here I was a bit afraid to ask questions, and not understanding the 'etiquette' (like question from some new should not be in this sub-sub-forum but only in the new to the game one)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Yeah, that spiraled out of control pretty quickly. Inevitably, there will be someone who will post something like "the game won't let me win the world series, it must be broken!" All I can do is urge restraint.
I don't think he was a noob anyway. Pretty sure he's an old troll using another alias.

Either way, I absolutely agree with your post. Thank you for making it Joe.

Please guys, take it easy on the new folks and make them feel welcome.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
I don't think he was a noob anyway. Pretty sure he's an old troll using another alias.

Either way, I absolutely agree with your post. Thank you for making it Joe.

Please guys, take it easy on the new folks and make them feel welcome.

and I can vouch you guys generally do... even you Wolf....
Old 01-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
problem, is other might see that and not understand we were trying our best. I know at first seeing some of the comments around here I was a bit afraid to ask questions, and not understanding the 'etiquette' (like question from some new should not be in this sub-sub-forum but only in the new to the game one)
That "etiquette" is bullcrap; it shouldn't be that way. If someone asks a question in the wrong forum, it should get answered and then the OP should be informed to direct all further questions to the proper forum. I can't stand the responses by some people here of "wrong forum" without even trying to answer the question. It drives me nuts.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #10
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
That "etiquette" is bullcrap; it shouldn't be that way. If someone asks a question in the wrong forum, it should get answered and then the OP should be informed to direct all further questions to the proper forum. I can't stand the responses by some people here of "wrong forum" without even trying to answer the question. It drives me nuts.
Absolutely. You couldn't possibly be more right. I'd thank this 100 times if I could.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:17 PM   #11
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

Does that mean that this out?

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Mr. Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:21 PM   #12
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

I have been around here a long time and while I agree with the general sentiment, for the most part it isn't the direct responses to the new players where trouble starts, and for the most part they are sincere (and young, you are right). It's when a griefer jumps in and starts banging away at some nonsense that has been asked-and-answered a hundred times in the middle of someone trying to give an answer to a legitimate question. It's why I rarely ever post on anything anymore.
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #13
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

My mother always told me "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". I think it applies well here. If you can't contribute an answer to the newbie question, just stay out of the thread until someone comes along that can and is motivated to do so. Rants are always best ignored, unless they contain a question that can be constructively answered while ignoring the rest.

Note: No one is perfect, and I don't claim to have always followed my own advice.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #14
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

I just want to say that I agree with everything that's been said, except that I feel that this should go for everyone, not just veteran members of these forums. Sometimes it's members who aren't frequent posters who jump in with the hostility.

Anyway, I'm only speaking for myself when I say this, but these forums are what make OOTP the best sports game I've played. I learned so much about the game when I first got into OOTP seriously about three years ago, and I continue to learn about the game and get new ideas on a regular basis. If these forums didn't exist, I would still enjoy the game, but not nearly to the extent that I do now. So I think we all need to do our best to help others have a similar experience.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #15
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Uh-huh-huh, "veteran members", huh-huh-huh...
ThatSeventiesGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #16
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Nice 1000th post. Here's to the next 1000!
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
and I can vouch you guys generally do... even you Wolf....
As long as they don't go inappropriate or ADHD, I'm cool.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #18
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wrong on every level.

1. If you don't tell them that, they keep posting in the wrong forum. Fact.

2. If they ask a newbie question, people who want to help them in the newbie forum may never see it. Likewise other newbies may not see it.

3. If they ask a graphics/mods question, people who want to help them in the mods forum may never see it. Likewise other interested people may not see it.

The different forums exist for real reasons. As veterans, it's our job to make sure that new users learn to post in the right forums, because it's best for everyone.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #19
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

And one more thing. Over the years I have seen idiots and children come and I have seen idiots and children go. In the long run it takes a certain amount of intellect and a certain amount of maturity/discipline to play this game. Idiots and children never last, which is why I find it pretty pointless to worry about them. It's like worrying about mayflies.

Was that elitist? Maybe so. But all of you are part of that elite, and the next ranting child that posts his list of why "ZOMG, the game is so broken!" isn't.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #20
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
And one more thing. Over the years I have seen idiots and children come and I have seen idiots and children go. In the long run it takes a certain amount of intellect and a certain amount of maturity/discipline to play this game. Idiots and children never last, which is why I find it pretty pointless to worry about them. It's like worrying about mayflies.

Was that elitist? Maybe so. But all of you are part of that elite, and the next ranting child that posts his list of why "ZOMG, the game is so broken!" isn't.
There needs to be a balance though, because otherwise we'd end up with no news users.

And that could apply to any number of things lol.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote