Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #21
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

and BTW. Rickey Williams quit football for a few years to smoke pot, so don't talk to me about anything being "unrealistic"

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #22
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

IIRC there are storylines for players retiring for those reasons in the game anyway. Although I'm sure someone would claim they're unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrack View Post
and BTW. Rickey Williams quit football for a few years to smoke pot, so don't talk to me about anything being "unrealistic"
Just about anything is possible, some things are just rarer than others.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #23
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

I beg to differ with those talking about millions. If you're good enough, golfs can make more money than baseball players. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that an 18 year-old first round draft pick will make the big leagues and 'make millions'. Infact, there's a better chance he flops than succeeds according to history. It would take a teenager between 3-5 years to reach the pros. With golf you can instantly make money. It could happen. It's unlikely. But possible.

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Mr. Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #24
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baseball View Post
I beg to differ with those talking about millions. If you're good enough, golfs can make more money than baseball players. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that an 18 year-old first round draft pick will make the big leagues and 'make millions'. Infact, there's a better chance he flops than succeeds according to history. It would take a teenager between 3-5 years to reach the pros. With golf you can instantly make money. It could happen. It's unlikely. But possible.
Sorry but we are not talking about 18 or 19 year-old draftees. We are talking about top 10 prospects in their mid-20's. Plus, if he is your teams' number 1 prospect it's even less likely he quits pro baseball to play pro golf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
My number 1 prospect, like top 10 overall in baseball, just retired at age 24 to become a pro golfer.

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #25
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
Sorry but we are not talking about 18 or 19 year-old draftees. We are talking about top 10 prospects in their mid-20's. Plus, if he is your teams' number 1 prospect it's even less likely he quits pro baseball to play pro golf.
this is the first time i see it, so it probably qualifies as unlikely. i do see that it would be upsetting.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:48 AM   #26
tejdog1
All Star Starter

I commish moded this and unretired him.

More information, in the 2015 season, split across 3 levels (201 ABs in A+, 155 ABs in AA, 140 ABs in AAA), he hit a combined .325/.409/.502/.911, 161 for 496, 87 runs, 26 2b, 4 3b, 18 HR, 80 RBI, 45/55 SBs, 64/115 BB/K.

I REALLY doubt that kinda prospect would up and quit.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #27
DCG12
All Star Starter

Location: Traveling through another dimension-not one of only sight and sound,but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundries are those of imagination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
I commish moded this and unretired him.

More information, in the 2015 season, split across 3 levels (201 ABs in A+, 155 ABs in AA, 140 ABs in AAA), he hit a combined .325/.409/.502/.911, 161 for 496, 87 runs, 26 2b, 4 3b, 18 HR, 80 RBI, 45/55 SBs, 64/115 BB/K.

I REALLY doubt that kinda prospect would up and quit.
I am going to start by stating wholeheartedly that this is your game and what you do is up to you BUT you posted about it so it's fair game for comment.

I hate when people post about editing things just because it adversely affects their team. One of the things I love about playing OOTP is fighting my way through the injuries and odd happenings. If he had suffered an injury and retired would you have done the same thing?

Again I know its your game and you can do whatever you want but please don't come back later and post about how your team just went 130-32 because we will know it wasn't a level playing field
DCG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #28
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG12 View Post
I am going to start by stating wholeheartedly that this is your game and what you do is up to you BUT you posted about it so it's fair game for comment.

I hate when people post about editing things just because it adversely affects their team. One of the things I love about playing OOTP is fighting my way through the injuries and odd happenings. If he had suffered an injury and retired would you have done the same thing?

Again I know its your game and you can do whatever you want but please don't come back later and post about how your team just went 130-32 because we will know it wasn't a level playing field
Imho, there's two problems here:

• The first thing highlighted in bold: I don't think that's anywhere close to being a fair question. You are talking about a horse of another color my friend. What you asked above is yes something that's realistic. However, we are talking about a top 10 ranked prospect - number one ranked in the organization he plays in - that just upped and retired to start a career as a pro golfer, which is something that's unrealistic. You are comparing apples to oranges my friend.
  • The second thing highlighted in bold: Alas, I think there's now a level playing field. Please allow me to simulate a situation. Let's say this player was in your game. Your game somehow develops a glitch and this player ends up retired. Are you saying that you wouldn't edit the player to change his status from retired to active? What's the difference between doing that versus what tejdog1 did? Glitch or no glitch there's now a level playing field. The fact of this matter is the AI should never have retired the player. The AI still does quirky things that are not realistic and this is one of them.
In all fairness, please name me one top 10 ranked prospect - who also ranked number 1 in the organization - in the past 25 years that just upped and chose to forgo a bright career in pro baseball for a career in pro golf.

Lastly, I'd like to know the outcome of this. In other words, I'd like to know what kind of career in pro baseball this player would end up having.

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #29
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
The first thing highlighted in bold: I don't think that's anywhere close to being a fair question. You are talking about a horse of another color my friend. What you asked above is yes something that's realistic. However, we are talking about a top 10 ranked prospect - number one ranked in the organization he plays in - that just upped and retired to start a career as a pro golfer, which is something that's unrealistic. You are comparing apples to oranges my friend.
The concern is that the AI is subject to their top prospects going to become professional golfers or football players or politicians or whatever too. Unless the OP is monitoring them and forcing them to come out of retirement whenever an odd storyline comes up, then I agree with DCG12 that it's unfair.

Also, go back 25 years and tell someone that one of the top running backs in the NFL will retire to go "study holistic medicine" and do yoga for a few years and they would have said it was unrealistic too. Just because something hasn't happened yet doesn't mean that it can't. Stranger things have happened than a very good prospect quitting the game to play another lucrative professional sport that is easier on the body and arguably more enjoyable to play.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #30
DCG12
All Star Starter

Location: Traveling through another dimension-not one of only sight and sound,but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundries are those of imagination.
Quote:
Imho, there's two problems here:

• The first thing highlighted in bold: I don't think that's anywhere close to being a fair question. You are talking about a horse of another color my friend. What you asked above is yes something that's realistic. However, we are talking about a top 10 ranked prospect - number one ranked in the organization he plays in - that just upped and retired to start a career as a pro golfer, which is something that's unrealistic. You are comparing apples to oranges my friend.
  • The second thing highlighted in bold: Alas, I think there's now a level playing field. Please allow me to simulate a situation. Let's say this player was in your game. Your game somehow develops a glitch and this player ends up retired. Are you saying that you wouldn't edit the player to change his status from retired to active? What's the difference between doing that versus what tejdog1 did? Glitch or no glitch there's now a level playing field. The fact of this matter is the AI should never have retired the player. The AI still does quirky things that are not realistic and this is one of them.
In all fairness, please name me one top 10 ranked prospect - who also ranked number 1 in the organization - in the past 25 years that just upped and chose to forgo a bright career in pro baseball for a career in pro golf.

Lastly, I'd like to know the outcome of this. In other words, I'd like to know what kind of career in pro baseball this player would end up having.
Bowtie, I'm not trying to be holier than thou but I can honestly say I have never edited a player, it's just not how I play. The game retires and or creates career ending injuries and ratings declines to help balance out the talent level. If this prospect had suddenly become a washout talent wise would you advocate editing him back? If you do then the playing field is not level because the AI can't do the same.

Also don't get to hung up on the "golf" thing. What if he had quit to try and play basketball or football would that be more realistic for you? Again this is a prospect who is not yet making $20 mil/yr and maybe he saw opportunity elsewhere or just didn't really like baseball.

Again I'm not condemning Tejdog1 but if he doesn't want differing opinions then he should have just quietly done his edit and moved on.

It's just funny to me that people will post comments about how easy it is to rip off the AI in trades and beg to have it fixed but turn around and edit things in a way that have just as much of an effect on the game.

Again my no better or worse than anybody elses
DCG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #31
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I think in general the story is being taken too seriously. It could have just as easily been a blown knee while dirt biking or he wanted to become a Tibetan monk. It's just a way to liven up the game to it make more than just clicking 'Sim Today' or pushing 1 fifty times in a row. I think the storyline is in there because:

a) it is somewhat based on a real life situation (Yount)
b) it is so off the wall that you would never believe it

Can't we just take a joke as a joke and move on? If that happened to me, I would have both been angry and lmao at the same time. And of course, there is nothing wrong if the OP thinks it's just stupid and unretires him. Whatever makes it fun for him/her is best. That's the point of the game.

I think the storyline is both unrealistic and awesome.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #32
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if God is constantly getting texts telling him the storylines he creates are unrealistic?

I simply don't know how we determine as a whole that something would never occur. The discussion in this thread has been that no one would ever give up a career in baseball to pursue a career in golf. But, in real life, we've had a player leave an established career with the Arizona Cardinals to join our military and fight in a war. My point, it happened in real life, but for OOTP, something like this is declared unrealistic until it really happens. Life is unrealistic.

My problem with storylines is the same one I have with owners dying. They need to be rare events or they lose their punch.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #33
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I wonder if God is constantly getting texts telling him the storylines he creates are unrealistic?

I simply don't know how we determine as a whole that something would never occur. The discussion in this thread has been that no one would ever give up a career in baseball to pursue a career in golf. But, in real life, we've had a player leave an established career with the Arizona Cardinals to join our military and fight in a war. My point, it happened in real life, but for OOTP, something like this is declared unrealistic until it really happens. Life is unrealistic.

My problem with storylines is the same one I have with owners dying. They need to be rare events or they lose their punch.
Is owners dying a storyline? I have storylines off in all of my games and it still happens. Although, I don't see the major effects on franchises like some people have mentioned, so maybe the long-term effects are different with storylines on.

(Sorry if I'm out of touch with the owners dying problems. I've ignored pretty much all storyline threads because I'm adamantly against having them turned on in my leagues and feel like all discussions about them have been as productive as pounding sand.)

Last edited by BIG17EASY; 01-08-2014 at 10:34 AM.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #34
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I'm not going to write a word about storylines, but I want to make it clear that your league is your league and whatever the heck you want to do to it - and I do mean anything - that increases your enjoyment of it is perfectly okay. Want to unretire someone? Want to go 130-32? Does it increase your entertainment factor? Then do it.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #35
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Is owners dying a storyline? I have storylines off in all of my games and it still happens. Although, I don't see the major effects on franchises like some people have mentioned, so maybe the long-term effects are different with storylines on.

(Sorry if I'm out of touch with the owners dying problems. I've ignored pretty much all storyline threads because I'm adamantly against having them turned on and feel like all discussions about them have been as productive as pounding sand.)
Not a part of the storylines. My point is, owners die way too often and the team is taken over by their son who is 9.8 times a jr. It kills the uniqueness of the whole feature.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #36
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

When I think about it, this forum might actually be "storylines" worst enemy. All of us want to report on a unique event that happens in our league and I love it, but when it comes to storylines, once that unique event is reported, it loses it's uniqueness. Then for the most part it becomes something we are waiting to occur.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #37
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When I think about it, this forum might actually be "storylines" worst enemy. All of us want to report on a unique event that happens in our league and I love it, but when it comes to storylines, once that unique event is reported, it loses it's uniqueness. Then for the most part it becomes something we are waiting to occur.
True dat. Apparently we just need to suggest that each license of OOTP have 10 unique easter egg storylines so we can report them all to each other.

TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #38
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Imho, the odds of it happening these days are very slim.
So as long as this event happens very rarely in OOTP, it'd be okay then? Is there any indication that the event mentioned in the OP is happening frequently?
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #39
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
True dat. Apparently we just need to suggest that each license of OOTP have 10 unique easter egg storylines so we can report them all to each other.

Exactly and thanks for the chuckle.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #40
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not a part of the storylines. My point is, owners die way too often and the team is taken over by their son who is 9.8 times a jr. It kills the uniqueness of the whole feature.
Could not agree more.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote