Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
Just because most people that do fictionals do dynasty reports and there generally isn't anything "game-breaking" or the like to warrant a whole forum. I'm no one on this website, but I would just guess that would be the reason why.

Most people that go in-depth fictional report their leagues, and most fictional "questions" can be handled right in general discussions.

I would definitely post there as well, just probably no need seen by the admins/moderators!
By that logic, most historical questions and topics could easily be handled in the general discussions, too, so why bother having a whole sub-forum dedicated to it?

By many accounts here, fictional league is the number one type of game played here, more than historical actual games or modern major league games are played. I'm not arguing with you on why the moderators don't do it, and I'll concede to you that that's probably the case, but I also think there's enough interest in fictional leagues to warrant it, and I'll bet it would become more popular than Historical, too.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #22
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
By that logic, most historical questions and topics could easily be handled in the general discussions, too, so why bother having a whole sub-forum dedicated to it?

By many accounts here, fictional league is the number one type of game played here, more than historical actual games or modern major league games are played. I'm not arguing with you on why the moderators don't do it, and I'll concede to you that that's probably the case, but I also think there's enough interest in fictional leagues to warrant it, and I'll bet it would become more popular than Historical, too.
Oh no, I don't think you're arguing. I guess I just didn't want to go in-depth. Historical games present a ton of issues that other games just don't present. Any present-day MLB league that you play past where the DB ends is essentially a fictional league from that point on. Figure, by the end of your first draft on the MLB quickstart, you are playing an MLB league that will have fictional elements up until the point it becomes wholly fictional once every MLB player has retired.

Would the forum get used? Most likely... I just wouldn't stump for one.

My biggest thing is I don't think General Discussions is busy enough as it is to really warrant spreading the discussions out more...

EDIT: For the record, I would say my "main" style of game to this point is Fictorical. I love random debut and doing new histories of the league, and I never use recalc. Which, essentially makes all of my players fictional and at the mercy of the dev engine -- just with names you recognize.

Last edited by jaysdailydose; 10-08-2013 at 03:27 PM.
jaysdailydose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #23
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

One Idea I had but never did and was inspired by my favourite report (End of the world, seattle mariners). Its just a regular world in the us. Either mlb or some fictional set up but in the world super heroes are tired of being just heroes and want to be paid. So a few heroes enter the draft each year and are extremely overpowered players.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
Bisbo
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Another was based on an open league format like soccer with promotion/relegation, a champions league, and a world cup.
I would love to do something like this, but can't figure out how to actually do the promotion/relegation - any easy way to do this?
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #25
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisbo View Post
I would love to do something like this, but can't figure out how to actually do the promotion/relegation - any easy way to do this?
This post might be interest to you:

Promotion/Relegation
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
On a separate note, does anyone reading this thread have experience creating actual world files complete with differing maps? (The_Game, perhaps, with your Endor league?)
When I created this league I was a kid, my map is the same as North America. New France is Canada, Confederate States of America is USA, Bezheen is Mexico, Fullerton is Cuba. Chirpa is Maryland, New Kashyyyk is West Virginia, Broca is New Jersey. All my cities are based on real cities some with more or less population. I have a hand drawn map I made in 1988 and have added cities and such to it. I have not redone it yet.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #27
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsh06 View Post
One Idea I had but never did and was inspired by my favourite report (End of the world, seattle mariners). Its just a regular world in the us. Either mlb or some fictional set up but in the world super heroes are tired of being just heroes and want to be paid. So a few heroes enter the draft each year and are extremely overpowered players.
Reminds me of my Metropolis Supermen. Clark Kent, Peter Parker, Hank McCoy & Tony stark to name a few players. i also have Gotham City Batmen.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:11 AM   #28
dward1
All Star Reserve

the NARBL looks like a great and creative idea, really love it.

mine is the classic baseball takes over the world narrative. league began in 2043. the unique twist to make it feel real to me was to use actual data for nation quality, teams per nation, and where players come from. I counted pro athletes from Caribbean and West African nations in the top 50 leagues across the world for a class and went ahead and did it for every country. I combined this with population and GDP to get a score from which I could calculate how many players and teams each nation should have. I also use this to adjust the PCM's across the different leagues. I have 8 leagues:
US and Canada-24 teams
East Asia-20 teams
South America-14 teams
Northern Europe-12 teams
South Asia-10 teams
South and East Europe-10 teams
North Africa-8 teams
South Africa-8 teams
Oceania-4 teams

with expansion planned for the future.

each league has a draft pool only from their countries and with percentages representing their quality (example: South Asia very diverse with India and Iran in the low 20% as leaders in draft pool, East Asia has China and Japan both over 40%).

every 3 years I run a World Cup. stretched to have 32 teams early in the save, but this last year ran extensive qualifying (66 nations entered I believe) to get down a lean, mean 32 teams before China won it's second straight over Japan in the final. Japan won in '48 and '51, China '54 and '57. what a rivalry. US always is predicted to be the best team but has disappointed. Norway shocked by qualifying for the 2057 World Cup over powerhouses like Germany while South Africa to the Quarterfinals was a great story.

also in 2nd year of having continental Cup competitions where throughout the season teams across each continent are drawn randomly for one-off games leading down to a Cup winner.

also have global Champions League and Global Cup at end of the season to see how teams stack up across the world. North America dominated last year, winning both and putting it's 3rd and 4th place teams into the Champions League final.

it's a lot of work hand-scheduling the games but I love the feel of a large universe and still enjoy the feeling of managing in a small league where I recognize most of the players (I manage the Kenya Harambee Stars and am trying to scratch my way back into the race against the mighty Walia Antelopes of Addis Ababa).
dward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #29
Mr. Baseball
All Star Starter

I've thought about doing a Fraternity Baseball League for a few months now, but haven't had the time to build it. The league would be focused more on alumni than actual college students (I don't like capping my guys at four years). Thought it might be an interesting take.

Duluth Danger (HBL) Dynasty Report -- Online League Franchise
Duluth - 1985/1989 North League Champions!

Mr. Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #30
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

My next Fictional Leagues:
64 team MLB League(30 real MLB teams plus 34 Fictional)
64 team TripleA(30 real Triple A plus 34 Fictional)
64 team Double A (30 real Double A plus 34 Fictional)
64 team Single A (30 real Single A plus 34 Fictional)
64 team Rookie League(30 real Rookie Leag. plus 34 Fictional)

Plus
1965 MLB teams-Cherry Pick players(any team can pick them up)
1977 MLB teams-Cherry Pick players(any team can pick them up)
1990 MLB teams-Cherry Pick players(any team can pick them up)
no duplicate players used

Last edited by Orioles1966; 02-16-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #31
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

My fictional league isn't elaborate, but I find it to be a lot of fun. I have an 18-team league (three six-team divisions in one league, one wild card) with AAA, AA and A minor leagues. All cities at all levels are within five hours of my home. 144-game schedule in the major league, approx. 120 in the minors, all MLB rules apply (new CBA, waivers, DFA, roster sizes, etc.).

But the twist that makes it so much fun is that each time a draft pool is created, I sort it by potential using OSA scouting and change the top five or six players to be people I played with in high school or college or guys I've coached in the past 15 years. Makes the level of immersion much deeper because I'm always checking to see how my "friends" are doing.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #32
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
My next Fictional Leagues:
64 team MLB League(30 real MLB teams plus 34 Fictional)
64 team TripleA(30 real Triple A plus 34 Fictional)
64 team Double A (30 real Double A plus 34 Fictional)
64 team Single A (30 real Single A plus 34 Fictional)
64 team Rookie League(30 real Rookie Leag. plus 34 Fictional)

Plus
1965 MLB teams-Cherry Pick players(any team can pick them up)
1977 MLB teams-Cherry Pick players(any team can pick them up)
1990 MLB teams-Cherry Pick players(any team can pick them up)
no duplicate players used
Good luck with all of this, man. It took me probably a solid week at least to get things setup for my USB game (which has a quickstart available, now.)

My league is 48 ML teams, and 48 for AAA, AA, A, and Rookie, with a full NCAA and high school feeder, along with 2 "elite baseball academies" (college feeders, but with higher creation modifiers.)

Between adding everything in and then putting in the graphics for every team, it takes FOREVER. So worth it once you get it done, though. I've never been happier with any fictional league I've ever created!