Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #41
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Some users don't want players too die fine. Some want a 150 year old Babe Ruth hitting cleanup hey that's fine, Maybe your pretending his half elf and half brothers with Legolas. But someone of us don't want to pretend that someone of us want the realism. We should at least have the option to have players die or be immortal.
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #42
Hankyu Braves
All Star Reserve

Is it possible if one writes an appropriate storyline to get rid of these players somehow and send them to another pool or something of that effect?
For example, once they reach 65 there's a random chance that they could die, with this number increasing over time.
Hankyu Braves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #43
rasnell
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankyu Braves View Post
Is it possible if one writes an appropriate storyline to get rid of these players somehow and send them to another pool or something of that effect?
For example, once they reach 65 there's a random chance that they could die, with this number increasing over time.
Does the database actually include the dates of death of historical players? Any way to turn that option on in future historic releases?
Charlie Root won more games for the Cubs than any pitcher (201), yet was remembered for one pitch to Babe Ruth. Find out more about the 1929 World Series in my book, "Root for the Cubs: Charlie Root and the 1929 Chicago Cubs." See the web site at www.rootforthecubs.com. The book is at http://www.amazon.com/Root-Cubs-Char...t+for+the+cubs.

Beta tester, OOTP 2007-2023 and iOOTP 2011-2014.
rasnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #44
Tycobbler
All Star Starter

I'd vote no to death and like to have their pics freeze the day they walk away from the game for good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Tycobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #45
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I like having their pics freeze once they retire, but I still want to have them eventually die. It's a big news story in sports when a former great passes away, and we don't have that in OOTP.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #46
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
The question would be how hard it will be for the game creators to go and add the Date of Death for 10'000's of players. And if you play a historical game will players still die on the day they died in real life? And about those that died prematurely? For example your the Pirates in the 1970's your Roberto Clemente is just money for you, does he die unexpectedly like in real life and you lose a great player or does he continue to live?
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #47
BigCity
All Star Starter

How about we add an on-off switch to this option as well... thus pleasing everyone?
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #48
Mike67
Minors (Single A)

You can have death in the game.. I play both OOTP and Baseball Mogul for years now. I'd rather see a dead player than someone who's 160 sitting in the retired players list..

Just add a projected date of death field and when they die freeze the age.. If they're in the HOF, then have a news item about the person dying. Same if a player dies in some manner.. When a player dies the coach/unretired options could be disabled.
Mike67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #49
Electrovik
Minors (Double A)

I'd really like that to become an option too!

It would add realism to the game! Man I would be mad if it happened to my star player! But man I would love it!

At the same time, we already have Career Ending Injury that can happen anytime and is kind of a death sentence for a player... but in a different way.

Overall, I think it would add a great HUMAN layer to the game.

I also think it would be a great way of remembering the players when they die.

But it should be an option. Personally, I would enjoy it but others might not... so let's keep everyone happy!
Electrovik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #50
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Apparently, nearly three month old threads don't die either.
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #51
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Dying? There's no dying in baseball!

Markus is weird sometimes. There's no women in OOTP and there's no dying in OOTP. But hobbits and Ghanaians, those we can have.
Difference is Ghanaians are real, Hobbits are not.
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson

Last edited by ashantewarrier; 08-29-2013 at 04:08 PM.
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #52
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashantewarrier View Post
Difference is Ghanaians are real, Hobbits are not.
Yes but I heard that after successfully establishing some baseball camps in Ghana, the Milwaukee Brewers are going to focus full attention on finding Middle-earth to find some.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #53
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I just want to clarify that the only player death I want in the game is old retirees.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #54
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Being new to OOTP as of a week ago I wondered about this...

I think it SHOULD be included; with an on or off option and then possibly a couple of sub category on off options:

Death over time option [on-off]
Random death option to active players/personnel [on-off]
Percentage of chance a random active player/personnel dies [1-100]

That's what I got for a start... If anyone has more sub-options then I can include them as well. That way everyone is satisfied on if they want death in there game or not!

As far as facegen goes...I think then the players facegen could age and then once they pass away there image would be preserved at that state; everything on the players page would be become grayed...

Also with that being said I think the owner thing needs some fixing... When an owner dies I think we as a GM should have the option of appointing a new owner. There can be a database titled "money moguls" or something with a list of "wealthy" people who could buy the team. (This list can just be fictional or maybe take real life names from Forbes and owners from other sports leagues that may want to dip into the baseball world.) Each could have just a couple of different rating categories like the players; example Greed: Very High

You could use say something like this:

Big Spender: Very High
Intelligence: Average
Personal Connection with Team Players: Average
Using Resources for team growth: Low

I just made those up for an example but I think the owner side is dull when it comes to own dying and the "son" always takes over.

But as a starting foundation I think this would work. Seeing players live forever is a small irritating thing to me. If they don't want to get to involved in death they could just have it kind of happen in the background... Over time random player "dies" and they become grayed out with there facegen freezing. We don't need to see a death date on their profile or a league wide email saying so-and-so passed away; we would "just know" by seeing there grayed out profile. Of course with that being said not sure how you could implement active coaches or players passing away with no notifications...

Ok enough rambling but I'd like to have this incorporated.

Last edited by Hockey13Playa; 09-13-2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Context
Hockey13Playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #55
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa View Post
I think it SHOULD be included; with an on or off option and then possibly a couple of sub category on off options:

Death over time option [on-off]
Random death option to active players/personnel [on-off]
Percentage of chance a random active player/personnel dies [1-100]

That's what I got for a start... If anyone has more sub-options then I can include them as well. That way everyone is satisfied on if they want death in there game or not!
I think those are some pretty good ideas.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #56
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa View Post
B
Also with that being said I think the owner thing needs some fixing... When an owner dies I think we as a GM should have the option of appointing a new owner. There can be a database titled "money moguls" or something with a list of "wealthy" people who could buy the team. (This list can just be fictional or maybe take real life names from Forbes and owners from other sports leagues that may want to dip into the baseball world.) Each could have just a couple of different rating categories like the players; example Greed: Very High

You could use say something like this:

Big Spender: Very High
Intelligence: Average
Personal Connection with Team Players: Average
Using Resources for team growth: Low
Best idea I have heard in 2 years. I always try to make my owners in my leagues real or fictional real. I started my MLB league in 1999, not a single owner from then owns a team. They have all died or sold the team. been hoping to lock owners so they dont sell or die because it is frustrating to have to go back and edit the old owner in.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #57
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycobbler View Post
I'd vote no to death and like to have their pics freeze the day they walk away from the game for good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
That's my preference as well. Just freeze their age and photo the day they retire. Problem solved.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #58
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

For news articles purposes, in any sale of a club by an owner, there's a simple formula that can be used to determine the price: the revenue the prior season times 2½. That is an average, of course, so for clubs in bigger markets the factor would be a little higher (perhaps as much as 3 times the revenue), and for clubs in smaller markets it'd be lower (perhaps as low as 2 times the revenue). But on average the sale price is about 2½ times the club's revenue.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #59
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenames View Post
That's my preference as well. Just freeze their age and photo the day they retire. Problem solved.
So then what happens for players who go on to be coaches? Coaches need to age or they'll coach for all eternity.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #60
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
So then what happens for players who go on to be coaches? Coaches need to age or they'll coach for all eternity.
They retire from coaching once they hit 70-75 years of age.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote