Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
akw4572
Hall Of Famer

Simple ball flight

Any way we can get some better ball flight animations? I want to see some variation, not just G, L, and F, for what they respectively mean. I'd like to see a flyable, really "fly", with something like a shadow underneath.
akw4572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
thevaliantx
Minors (Triple A)

Nope. There are a handful of folks here who are so in love with the text aspects of OOTP, and their technology is so old that any graphics would have been done in ASCII.

All kidding aside some of the most ardent supporters of OOTP really don't want to see animations in the game.
thevaliantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx View Post
Nope. There are a handful of folks here who are so in love with the text aspects of OOTP, and their technology is so old that any graphics would have been done in ASCII.

All kidding aside some of the most ardent supporters of OOTP really don't want to see animations in the game.
I don't think what the OP is suggesting would be hugely different to what it is now.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I like the suggestion, since I'm playing out all my games and I can follow the path of the ball and the play-by-play at the bottom - but for the love of socks, I can't keep up with the L/F/G thing. I can't "see" it. Strange to explain, but I'm strange anyway.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
akw4572
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
I don't think what the OP is suggesting would be hugely different to what it is now.
Exactly. I hate to bring up other games but simple ball flight like what's in Puresim.......just a shadow to let you know the "ball" is in the air, or something. The letter thing drives me nuts.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
playball335
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akw4572 View Post
Exactly. I hate to bring up other games but simple ball flight like what's in Puresim.......just a shadow to let you know the "ball" is in the air, or something. The letter thing drives me nuts.
I agree as well, I don't know why but it makes a big difference for an immersion factor for me. Nothing fancy, a shadow to depict height would suffice. Would this be hard to add Markus?
playball335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

I might be firing a cannon shot but... Why not add video clips of different plays?

I remember ages ago microleague football doing this showing black and white clips of players make a catch and the QB dropping back to throw. I think this would enhance the game a lot.
With this add dynamic crowd sounds which change with the game situation it to me would be undisputed king of the text sim world.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
I might be firing a cannon shot but... Why not add video clips of different plays?

I remember ages ago microleague football doing this showing black and white clips of players make a catch and the QB dropping back to throw. I think this would enhance the game a lot.
With this add dynamic crowd sounds which change with the game situation it to me would be undisputed king of the text sim world.
Dunno about video clips, but my personal idea would be to animate, using dots for players and a smaller dot for the ball, various versions of each play outcome and play them as necessary alongside the PbP. I don't have a means of creating animated gifs, else I'd mock something up lol.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
Dunno about video clips, but my personal idea would be to animate, using dots for players and a smaller dot for the ball, various versions of each play outcome and play them as necessary alongside the PbP. I don't have a means of creating animated gifs, else I'd mock something up lol.
If only I could show you how cool it was to see routine plays taken from actual games was. Imagine seeing a liner in the gap along with the text playing out. I like the dot idea as a start but I would like to see a combo with the dot going toward the ball and a quick clip showing the fielder making a toss to first for an example. I think they could work together, and you really don't need a whole lot of clips.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
ctorg
Global Moderator

I'd just like to see Earl Weaver level ball flight. That's a game that came out in 1987. It can't possibly take a lot of computing power. But it let you create your own graphical stadiums based on dimensions and it clearly showed the ball path (you could even set the speed of the animation!).

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
If only I could show you how cool it was to see routine plays taken from actual games was. Imagine seeing a liner in the gap along with the text playing out. I like the dot idea as a start but I would like to see a combo with the dot going toward the ball and a quick clip showing the fielder making a toss to first for an example. I think they could work together, and you really don't need a whole lot of clips.
I'll quit the game the day it has that kind of crap in it.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How repetitive would this be? I have a feeling I wouldn't make it through a weeks worth of games and I would be sick of it. I already know what a liner to the gap looks like, so I imagine it.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
How repetitive would this be? I have a feeling I wouldn't make it through a weeks worth of games and I would be sick of it. I already know what a liner to the gap looks like, so I imagine it.
That's why I like the dots idea that I mentioned, because it could be added to pretty easily. It would essentially be an extension of the text PbP.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's why I like the dots idea that I mentioned, because it could be added to pretty easily. It would essentially be an extension of the text PbP.
I agree.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
I like the dots idea also. Nothing big, just something that gives a basic visual idea of how the play unfolds. I don't want to see video clips, those get annoying fast.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
As long as it can be turned off.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #17
akw4572
Hall Of Famer

I don't want dots representing players until it can be implemented in fine fashion. I'm just asking for a better representation of what is already there.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #18
BigCity
All Star Starter

Let me throw my 2 cents in... Maybe all we need is an implementation of a "flight arc" on fly balls, a smaller arc for line drives, and a bounce for ground balls - and add pop-ups. This addition would add the secondary "edge of your seat" response many are looking for.

"High fly ball to left center... not sure if it's long enough... Jason going back... and leaps to catch it right at the wall!!"
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #19
akw4572
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
Let me throw my 2 cents in... Maybe all we need is an implementation of a "flight arc" on fly balls, a smaller arc for line drives, and a bounce for ground balls - and add pop-ups. This addition would add the secondary "edge of your seat" response many are looking for.

"High fly ball to left center... not sure if it's long enough... Jason going back... and leaps to catch it right at the wall!!"
That's exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #20
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I'll quit the game the day it has that kind of crap in it.
Pretty deep seeded response for such a small addition don't ya think? Either way I'm sure it would be an option. Some kind of new graphical representation will be coming down the pipe it is inevitable. Not every traditionalists is gonna like it. It the end more fans will come in.
With regards to the tv clips it could also show plays like a shortstop making a play deep in the holes. The clips would not show all the time. To each there own I guess.