Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Scruff
Minors (Triple A)

Promotion/Relegation?

Will OOTP 14 be able to handle a promotion/relegation type of league with un or loosely affiliated minor leagues?

While I'm shooting for the moon, a soccer style transfer market as opposed to trades would also be pretty cool. Basically no one is traded, players are bought and sold and they renegotiate and have to approve the contract when they move to the new team.

Last edited by Scruff; 01-24-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Pretty sure Markus has said a Promotion/Relegation system would be very complicated to include. I could be mistaken though. It's something I would like to see as well, along with double elimination playoffs. Maybe in OOTP 15
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
deanemj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan26 View Post
Pretty sure Markus has said a Promotion/Relegation system would be very complicated to include. I could be mistaken though. It's something I would like to see as well, along with double elimination playoffs. Maybe in OOTP 15
Are you sure about that? I may be wrong, but I could swear that he or one of the other OOTP people said that this would be included in OOTP 14. I was very disappointed to notice its glaring omission from the new feature list.

I'm hoping they are just saving this feature for a road to release piece...
deanemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I doubt that you will ever see it. The last discussion of it turned up the fact that it would require a total rewrite of the financial modules.

Demand for it is small, programming requirements huge...see my .sig
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
deanemj
Minors (Double A)

And even so I'm still hugely disappointed. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought for sure that someone in the know said this feature would be included.

I still have my fingers crossed that it will be unveiled in a future post.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

No, this will not be part of OOTP 14.. This is a LOT of coding work and can be done by the user manually already (using the league structure editor)...
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
deanemj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
No, this will not be part of OOTP 14.. This is a LOT of coding work and can be done by the user manually already (using the league structure editor)...
How about OOTP 15?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

I'm happy this never made it in.
How about we focus and make the MLB aspect even better before we start with stuff like this.

I'd like a full Nippon league with history and stats or minor league assocataions first.
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
...aaaaand it's official.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutS|der View Post
How about we focus and make the MLB aspect even better before we start with stuff like this.
How much better would it have to get before you'd consider something like this as okay?

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Ktulu
Hall Of Famer

The most important thing for promotion/relegation would be to code the AI to recognize the consequences of relegation.

Currently it's pretty easy to run a P/R universe, except AI teams can't realize that finishing in a relegation position is bad.

An option to designate leagues as P/R and to select the positions which qualify for P or R, so that the AI can adjust it's strategy, would make P/R feasible for those willing to manually perform the P/R.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Steve4evasaints
Minors (Single A)

I've always done it manually. So at least there is a way to get it done, although it would be easier if it did it automatically. But baseball rules are different to how football works
Steve4evasaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
How much better would it have to get before you'd consider something like this as okay?

Changes to spring training, rookie invites and all the other issues with it

Minor league league totals need to be worked, don't think they have been updated in years and can produce funny results.

Shared all star games like the Triple A does, would like full team and award histories for them as well.

Working winter leagues

Nippon leagues and independent leagues with full history as well

Those are just a few ways to improve the MLB and other major important leagues before any time is spent on the smaller leagues that do use regulation.
It would be nice to have in, but it's near the bottom of my list
Old 01-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Minor league league totals need to be worked, don't think they have been updated in years and can produce funny results.

Shared all star games like the Triple A does, would like full team and award histories for them as well.

Working winter leagues

Those are just a few ways to improve the MLB and other major important leagues before any time is spent on the smaller leagues that do use regulation.
Ooh, want THIS.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Working winter leagues

I could definitely get behind all of those changes.

I don't think anyone would suggest that something like Promotion / Relegation should be a priority anyway.

The problem, I think, is that people (and I'll admit that I'm guilty of this) post stuff that they would like but is low priority, but don't post stuff that would improve the engine but isn't glamourous. Of course as a developer you have to balance the glamourous new features with improving the core every year, and I'd wager it's not an easy balance to make.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #16
Ktulu
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Working winter leagues

Well, I'd put the above at the bottom of MY priority list. So there
Old 01-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #17
deanemj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
I don't think anyone would suggest that something like Promotion / Relegation should be a priority anyway.
I do. I think automatic promotion/relegation should be the TOP priority for the next OOTP. I know I can't be the only one who enjoys creating a fantasy baseball world.

To me, automatic promotion/relegation is the top feature request. I know I'm not the only one.

The MLB stuff in itself is relatively unimportant to me. I rarely play with real world settings. I realize that the overwhelming majority of players do play with the MLB setup and that's fine, but there are other types of players who prefer their own customized leagues and we desperately want this feature added. I must admit that I'm very disappointed that this has been passed over yet again.

There's always next year, I guess.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:46 AM   #18
dynaboyj
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanemj View Post
I do. I think automatic promotion/relegation should be the TOP priority for the next OOTP. I know I can't be the only one who enjoys creating a fantasy baseball world.

To me, automatic promotion/relegation is the top feature request. I know I'm not the only one.

The MLB stuff in itself is relatively unimportant to me. I rarely play with real world settings. I realize that the overwhelming majority of players do play with the MLB setup and that's fine, but there are other types of players who prefer their own customized leagues and we desperately want this feature added. I must admit that I'm very disappointed that this has been passed over yet again.

There's always next year, I guess.
Why badger about it when it's not hard to do manually? I love the idea of promotion/relegation leagues, and I do it manually. While the financials do get skewed and the AI isn't meant for such a thing, it still knows that winning is good and losing is bad.
dynaboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #19
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanemj View Post
I realize that the overwhelming majority of players do play with the MLB setup

This is why the changes i suggested should come first. This is a MLB baseball sim first.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
tomwolf2008
Major Leagues

Here's how I see it. FHM is kinda same type of game with OOTP, the coding of two games is probably quite similiar. People would eventually want to see whatever is avaliable in FHM is avaliable in OOTP. The converse is true as well. Therefore, whenever promotion/relegation and international tournament appears in FHM, I would really like to see them in OOTP shortly after as well
tomwolf2008 is offline   Reply With Quote