Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #41
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

I'm excited for the new fielding development style. Does this mean that 1) you'll see a lot more talented defensive players in the draft in general and 2) defense will peak pretty young on average? Also, will there be any way of knowing which guys will likely outgrow their position (for example, most scouts know a guy won't be able to stay at SS long-term most likely).

Thanks as always!
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #42
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcharlesxii View Post
I'm excited for the new fielding development style. Does this mean that 1) you'll see a lot more talented defensive players in the draft in general and 2) defense will peak pretty young on average? Also, will there be any way of knowing which guys will likely outgrow their position (for example, most scouts know a guy won't be able to stay at SS long-term most likely).

Thanks as always!
Yes, defense peaks rather early... you will have to keep an eye on the height/weight of the player. A tall 18-year old SS with poor range to begin with, will likely not get better with age. There will be exceptions of course (may want to keep an eye on the work ethic)
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #43
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Regarding actual independent leagues, I am not aware of any pressing issues here. If you disagree, please PM me and let mw know what doesn't work with them currently.
I don't have any specific gripes, but there are quite a few threads about them not necessarily functioning in a realistic way relative to major leagues, eg:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...t-leagues.html

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...mulations.html

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #44
Dr. P.R. Park III
All Star Reserve

Markus, as a champion of independent leagues, I'm stoked to see the blatant mention of them...but are these "independent" leagues fully customizable and can the player engage with them? Or are they basically fictional players with generated-stats from the "independent leagues"?
Dr. P.R. Park III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #45
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You can access them already from the schedule screen, can't you? Or do you mean from previous years?
I meant previous years, actually.

But now that you mention it, the current method is a little awkward since you have to click on a team, go to their schedule page and THEN look at box scores. Maybe making the series result clickable that brings you to a page with a series summary?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #46
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, defense peaks rather early... you will have to keep an eye on the height/weight of the player. A tall 18-year old SS with poor range to begin with, will likely not get better with age. There will be exceptions of course (may want to keep an eye on the work ethic)
That sounds pretty much exactly what I wanted, great news!

Another question - will guys moving down the spectrum be completely useless for a long time while they learn a new position? For example, if a good SS moves to 3B, will he still put up a huge negative ZR for half a season?
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #47
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Markus - any chance tie-breakers and Championship announcement for non play-off leagues have been added?

I will sometimes play small, one division leagues with 6 or 8 teams and no play-offs. Regular season winner is League Champion. Right now, if there's a tie, tie breakers and news announcements must be done manually.

It would be nice if this could happen automatically.

Also, any chance the news item about 5 hits in a game gets fixed? Quite often the news article about a player with 5 hits will include a mention of entering the "record" book. While, there is no record book for 5 hits in a game, it's only there for 6 hits in a game.

Absolutely there should be an article in the news when a player has 5 hits, it is after all, a great accomplishment. However it should not say the player entered the record books.

Here's a sample of one from today:

Quote:
It was a hits blitz for Roy Hobbs at Lagers Ballpark. The Bathurst Griffins left fielder tore into St. John for 5 hits in 7 at-bats and wrote his name into the record book. But it wasn't enough to win the game. The St. John Lagers swept past the Griffins 5-4 to ruin the day for him.
The Bathurst manager bemoaned his pitching, saying, "We fell behind and weren't locating well. Once you get behind in the count, you have to make real good pitches, rather than good pitches, and we weren't able to do that today. Bad location was the story of the ballgame. That's why we lost the game. The Lagers got too many good looks today, and we paid for it."
Roy Hobbs singled in the 1st, grounded out in the 4th, singled in the 6th, singled in the 7th, singled in the 10th, flied out in the 12th and singled in the 15th.
Currently Hobbs has 4 home runs and a .282 batting average.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #48
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

Everything looks good.

I do hope at some point soon, you create a realistic spring training however. I'm referring to Florida or Arizona weather, and everyone playing day games there, instead of a mid-March game at night held in Toledo. Even if there was just 1 or 2 default spring training ballpark photos, I'd be happy. As it is now, Pittsburgh vs Boston in Spring Training is essentially the Ice Bowl.
DanP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #49
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

Regarding indy leagues and discovering players there... How does this interact with or impact universes that already have a number of indy leagues coexisting with other leagues? Will my Major Leagues now be able to buy players from the existing indy leagues? Or are these players just appearing out of the ether?

Also, will setting a league to, say, 15 position players and 10 pitchers per team mean that all AI teams in that league stick to those hard numbers? Or is that just an average, and some teams will vary by a pitcher or two?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #50
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemanofleisure View Post
little disapointed stadiums werent touched this year but seeing this made me excited.
I'm assuming that OOTP14 is not going to mark the addition of an Earl Weaver-like stadium creator.

Or... Markus is going to spring this on us as a surprise last minute addition!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #51
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP68 View Post
Everything looks good.

I do hope at some point soon, you create a realistic spring training however. I'm referring to Florida or Arizona weather, and everyone playing day games there, instead of a mid-March game at night held in Toledo. Even if there was just 1 or 2 default spring training ballpark photos, I'd be happy. As it is now, Pittsburgh vs Boston in Spring Training is essentially the Ice Bowl.
Markus,
Does this have an impact on players health during ST? I see injuries often and wondering if players playing in 30 degree New England weather contributes to more injuries. If we can't get true ST this year, can these types of weather effects be diminished a bit?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #52
HockeyHippie
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmount78 View Post
"Improved Trading
We improve the trading AI each year, and OOTP 14 is no different. On top of that, we added a screen that keeps track of all the trades in the history of the league, with a detailed look at the involved players' salaries, overall ratings, prospect rankings, and so forth. OOTP 14 also adds a "Not interested in Player X" function that prevents the AI from repeatedly offering a certain player to you."

It just got real people! This feature alone is worth buying the game for me. Markus, I will also private message you my shipping address for the iPad. Thanks.
Haha, but I think Markus is sending it to me.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #53
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootpFox07 View Post
Markus,
Does this have an impact on players health during ST? I see injuries often and wondering if players playing in 30 degree New England weather contributes to more injuries. If we can't get true ST this year, can these types of weather effects be diminished a bit?
I always manually edit the March weather for my stadiums to better reflect spring training climate. But yeah, some attention to making ST feel more realistic would be great.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #54
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

Revised player origin and fielding development are definitely something to look forward to.

Revised depth and pitcher charts are much appreciated.

Can't wait!
jmknpk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #55
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBL-Commish View Post
I'm assuming that OOTP14 is not going to mark the addition of an Earl Weaver-like stadium creator.
Nope. Not in OOTP 14.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #56
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

Quote:
Markus,
I have teams that play in the Yukon Territory. It's sometimes -10 degrees during spring games. It's hard to work on getting your slider over the plate when you're wearing a parka and double-insulated plastic mountaineering boots!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #57
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

Quote:
Nope. Not in OOTP 14.
(rushes off to find my six-year-old for advice on throwing tantrums)
Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #58
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Markus,
Yes, fixing this is on my list
Old 01-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #59
ShaneCarson
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP68 View Post
Everything looks good.

I do hope at some point soon, you create a realistic spring training however. I'm referring to Florida or Arizona weather, and everyone playing day games there, instead of a mid-March game at night held in Toledo.
Coming from someone who coaches little league in Toledo starting in March, I can attest to it not being exactly the most ideal baseball conditions.
ShaneCarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #60
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Markus, since you seem to be answering specific questions, I am hoping that mine was missed above.

Has the problem with the timing of injury substitutions been addressed?
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote