Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 06-09-2006, 01:07 AM   #1
treedom
Hall Of Famer

Mc's and Mac's

I wasn't sure wether to put this here or in the bug forum, but some (most?) of the Mc's and Mac's in the Scottish, Australian, Canadian and French-Canadian namesets are not capitalized correctly.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #2
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedom
I wasn't sure wether to put this here or in the bug forum, but some (most?) of the Mc's and Mac's in the Scottish, Australian, Canadian and French-Canadian namesets are not capitalized correctly.
Best to do it here.

Submit a change list and a sound argument and maybe this can be looked at.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
Jamey
Minors (Double A)

EDIT: LINK REMOVED SINCE THE MY NAME FILES WERE INCLUDED IN THE 1.0.2 PATCH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedom

Fixed.

I changed all of them in my name files set, available here:

if you find any more errors, please let me know.
thanks!

"how true" - JML

Last edited by Jamey; 07-18-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Jamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey
any other errors found in the poorly made original ootp files please let me know.
thanks!
Jamey,

I appreciate your help, but would equally appreciate it if you stopped posting "poorly made OOTP files" every time you post. The names files were created by volunteers, who spent months trying to find forty sets worth of name data. Frankly, even with the mistakes you've found, it's far more complete and accurate than previous versions of OOTP.

Different name sets were compiled by different people, so what you might think was "done poorly" might only have been touched by one person, while your comments reflect on everyone who helped out.

It's great that you're correcting them, mind you. It's just that all you're doing is hurting feelings when you keep posting that.

[/soapbox]
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:40 PM   #5
Jamey
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists
Jamey,

I appreciate your help, but would equally appreciate it if you stopped posting "poorly made OOTP files" every time you post. The names files were created by volunteers, who spent months trying to find forty sets worth of name data. Frankly, even with the mistakes you've found, it's far more complete and accurate than previous versions of OOTP.

Different name sets were compiled by different people, so what you might think was "done poorly" might only have been touched by one person, while your comments reflect on everyone who helped out.

It's great that you're correcting them, mind you. It's just that all you're doing is hurting feelings when you keep posting that.

[/soapbox]
ya ur right...i just get frusturated after days and days of fixing errors.

i'm sorry but the i am very picky when it comes to names and that hispanic last name section was horrendous...... whoever made it obviously threw in names that 'sounded' hispanic, had tons of spelling errors and typos that needed to be deleted, and also had more common last names that were left out, like Palmeiro and Guillen.

but some of the nationalities were very good like the Azerbaijani nationality ( WOW! ) i really didn't expect Azerbaijani to be a priority but someone took the time to do it. Well basically all the Slavic ones were very impressive. The European ones are well done as well. Great job on those!

so yeah you're right.... i assumed Malleus Dei was the only one who made the name files because he is the only one given credit for it in the game credits.

"how true" - JML

Last edited by Jamey; 06-14-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:19 AM   #6
Jamey
Minors (Double A)

( deleted to maintain freshness )

"how true" - JML

Last edited by Jamey; 06-14-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
battists
Hall Of Famer

PM sent.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #8
Jamey
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists
PM sent.
thank you for the response steve! i appreciate it!

steve = great guy

"how true" - JML

Old 06-14-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey
thank you for the response steve! i appreciate it!

steve = great guy
Well, I don't know if I'd go that far, but I appreciate it. 'sall in the name of better name files.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:59 PM   #10
Chappy
Hall Of Famer

how do I download this?

"You Do Not Have Permission To Download Files In This Category."
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #11
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy
how do I download this?

"You Do Not Have Permission To Download Files In This Category."

I think you have to register first.

albatross
albatross11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:20 PM   #12
battists
Hall Of Famer

You can grab it here too:

http://www.ootpmodsquad.com/
Old 06-19-2006, 09:04 PM   #13
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

I've had the same problem of say McQueen showing up as Mcqueen, or O'Connel as O'connel.

I've gone over the name file, and they all seem to be correct there, just not translating properly in-game.
jbsnadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:19 PM   #14
treedom
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsnadb
I've had the same problem of say McQueen showing up as Mcqueen, or O'Connel as O'connel.

I've gone over the name file, and they all seem to be correct there, just not translating properly in-game.
They seem to be correct in some of the namesets but not all. Maybe you were checking the one(s) in which they are correct?
Old 06-20-2006, 03:09 AM   #15
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

All I know is that, when I used the MAL quickstart supplied by the game, there were no problems, but I seem to have to change them all in the Canadian League I started. And, I'm pretty sure I checked them ALL in my names file. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if everyone who MADE the names files didn't swear up and down pre-release that this problem had been fixed!
Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 AM   #16
treedom
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
All I know is that, when I used the MAL quickstart supplied by the game, there were no problems, but I seem to have to change them all in the Canadian League I started. And, I'm pretty sure I checked them ALL in my names file. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if everyone who MADE the names files didn't swear up and down pre-release that this problem had been fixed!
Yep, as noted in the opening post, the Canadian ones are where they're wrong. The American ones seem to be okay. You were probably looking at the American ones in the name file.

Last edited by treedom; 06-20-2006 at 07:34 AM.
treedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #17
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

Any chance of getting ALL names files correct for release with the second patch? There is NO reason why these files should be wrong or incomplete in any way.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:44 PM   #18
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Any chance of getting ALL names files correct for release with the second patch? There is NO reason why these files should be wrong or incomplete in any way.
The problem is that the quickstart that was already created used the original nameset, which has the mistakes. Correcting the name file at this date will not correct the names in the Quick-start game.

I'll pass along a note to see if the quick-start can be recreated.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #19
jbsnadb
All Star Starter

I don't think I'm being clear.

I completely re-did the quickstart (based on the same principles as the original I made) from scratch after I installed the patch, and I am having the same problems with the names.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:00 PM   #20
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think I'm being clear.

I completely re-did the quickstart (based on the same principles as the original I made) from scratch after I installed the patch, and I am having the same problems with the names.
No, you're being perfectly clear. It's me that isn't.

The point is, if you're basing a game on a quick-start, the players inside the quick-start were already created before you even started. It doesn't matter whether you have patched or not. The players were created whenever the quick-start itself was created.

Quick-starts already have the players in place. In this case, the quick-start you are using already has name data stored inside that has the bad Mcs and Macs.

For example, OOTPB comes with a few quick-starts. I don't believe those were recreated or updated when the patch came out. Therefore, the players inside those quick-starts were created with the ORIGINAL name set, and not with the name set from patch 1.

Not sure if that makes any more sense...