Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List Let us know what you would like to see in future versions of OOTP! OOTPBM 2006 is in development, and there is still time left to get your suggestions into the game.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
snepp
All Star Starter

User Interface

A place for general user interface annoyances.

When viewing teams in leagues that have the DH enabled, the default sub-tab when clicking on the "Lineups" tab should be the "Versus RHP + DH", not the non-DH version. This regularly leads to unnecessary and unwanted mouse clicks and page loads.

Pitchers (or pitching stats) being shown in lineups, or batters showing in the rotation tab, still happens regularly, as well as the scope setting showing a minor league level.
snepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
snepp
All Star Starter

I absolutely despise popup messages that force me away from the screen I'm on. I'd like to see something like this where you're given an option to either go to the target page immediately, or ignore the message and stay on the current screen.

The ESC key could be used to ignore the message, the Enter key for go-to.

Last edited by snepp; 11-08-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
snepp
All Star Starter

The "Front Office - Salaries" page could be improved with the notation of option/vesting years in the same manner that arbitration years are shown.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
snepp
All Star Starter

Unreadable email subject once clicked on.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
snepp
All Star Starter

Another easy way to save mouse clicks, provide additional information when hovering the mouse over icons.

The injury ones specifically would be very useful.

Providing recent stats when hovering over the hot/cold icons would be fun.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #7
snepp
All Star Starter

When you have a bunch of emails it would be nice if the arrow keys on the keyboard could be used to go through them. Let me use the delete key as well to get rid of them. How about enabling Ctrl-A to select them all before using the delete key? Better yet, how about shift-delete to delete all?

While we're at it, just provide more keyboard control in general. Customizable shortcuts, hotkeys, arrow keys can scroll lists, etc.

If nothing else, let me assign a hotkey for advancing to the next day. I would LOVE to be able to hit F12 or something to advance a day rather than hunting for that little checkmark hundreds of times per season.

Last edited by snepp; 11-10-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:42 AM   #8
StLee
Hall Of Famer

I think you have a lot of good suggestions. Keep it up!
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snepp View Post
When you have a bunch of emails it would be nice if the arrow keys on the keyboard could be used to go through them. Let me use the delete key as well to get rid of them. How about enabling Ctrl-A to select them all before using the delete key? Better yet, how about shift-delete to delete all?

While we're at it, just provide more keyboard control in general. Customizable shortcuts, hotkeys, arrow keys can scroll lists, etc.

If nothing else, let me assign a hotkey for advancing to the next day. I would LOVE to be able to hit F12 or something to advance a day rather than hunting for that little checkmark hundreds of times per season.
I'm not a big hot-key person but I know that many people are and I have seen people at work hot-key so much faster than how long it takes me to do the same thing with my mouse. I agree that this is a great idea.

I really need to be more of a hot-key person.

Excellent suggestions. UI improvements are always a good thing.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 11-10-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
snepp
All Star Starter

I love me some hotkeys.

I know I've beat this drum more than once around here (apologies), but if I could bring one thing over from FM to OOTP, it would be the shortcuts and the ability to configure them for pretty much any page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
UI improvements are always a good thing.
Especially in OOTP when there's so much fun stuff to do and so much information you can access. v13 took a huge step forward in this department, I just want to see them continue to refine it each year and not fall into a UI rut where little improvement is made for multiple versions.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
snepp
All Star Starter

Now that we have the positional fielding totals in the player profile (which was a fantastic addition btw), can we do something similar for the batting and pitching stats to show the totals for each team they played for?

Just like on Baseball Reference would be perfect.

Ken Griffey Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

You have lovely handwriting.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
snepp
All Star Starter

My MS Paint skills are legendary.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
Ktulu
Hall Of Famer

I'll post this here too:

I - In Game Substitutions

The most annoying is the in game substitution system. This is extremely aggravating. Position players and pitchers need to be separated. Whether that's two sections side by side, or on top of each other, it doesn't matter.

It's extremely annoying to go to make a pitching change only to see your batters listed, or going to select a pinch hitter only to see pitchers listed, or trying to make a pitching change and seeing your entire roster displayed with your hitting ratings view selected, or trying to select a pinch hitter and having your pitching view selected, etc. etc.

Such a common thing like making substitutions should be a lot less aggravating.

II - Consistent Sorting of Players.

This little thing is driving me crazy . Every time I go to my lineup screen, the roster is sorted in some order which makes no sense (It's consistent, but I don't know what it is). So I click the Pos column twice (the first click sorts RF to C) to sort players by C to RF - a logical way to view your roster. Now I click VS LHB and everyone is unsorted again! So I click click to sort. Now eventually I go back to VS RHB and that's unsorted! Click click to sort. Back to VS LHB and it's unsorted. Click... you get the idea.

It's the same deal with the Pitching staff, I have to click twice to sort SP to CL. Fortunately there is no vs LHB so this only has to be done once.

III - Saving Views

How many versions has it been since custom views were added and we still have to re-type the name of the view in order to save it? The dialogue doesn't even help you by auto filling the name of the view you are editing.

It can't be that much work to add a simple dialogue box that allows you to simply save the view (overwrite) or rename the view.

And while you address that, it would be very handy to add a function which can set the default position filter, so for example, if you have a view designed for pitchers you can save it and when it is loaded the position filter is set to Pitchers.

And since you're doing that already , you could add another option so that you can set which screen(s) the view will apply to. (I think there are 5 or 6 different screen types: All, Draft, Free Agent, Retired, Awards, and probably some others judging by the stuff in the tables folder).

Views and Filters can be very flexible and powerful, but also tedious to work with especially for new users.

Finally, a nice touch would also be to provide a way to "lock" a view as the default for a particular screen. (Maybe a little icon beside the view) If you are on your lineup screen and you have your custom hitter view setup, you could then click the icon beside the view name and this view will always be loaded when you go to your lineup screen.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulu View Post
I'll post this here too:

This little thing is driving me crazy . Every time I go to my lineup screen, the roster is sorted in some order which makes no sense (It's consistent, but I don't know what it is). So I click the Pos column twice (the first click sorts RF to C) to sort players by C to RF - a logical way to view your roster. Now I click VS LHB and everyone is unsorted again! So I click click to sort. Now eventually I go back to VS RHB and that's unsorted! Click click to sort. Back to VS LHB and it's unsorted. Click... you get the idea.

It's the same deal with the Pitching staff, I have to click twice to sort SP to CL. Fortunately there is no vs LHB so this only has to be done once.

Finally, a nice touch would also be to provide a way to "lock" a view as the default for a particular screen. (Maybe a little icon beside the view) If you are on your lineup screen and you have your custom hitter view setup, you could then click the icon beside the view name and this view will always be loaded when you go to your lineup screen.

+1,000,000,000

These issues trump all others in my opinion. Please leave how I sorted last time as the new default. Please.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 11-11-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
snepp
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulu View Post
I'll post this here too:

I - In Game Substitutions

III - Saving Views

Lots of great stuff there.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
snepp
All Star Starter

These are a couple minor suggestions for the pitching screen.

Display the current condition for the pitchers. This is another click saver where you don't have to open a player's profile to see their rest status.

The next is to make the "#" column clickable to select the next starter. This could be used as an alternative to the dropdown selection box.

Last edited by snepp; 11-13-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

BAM!

Nailed it again.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #19
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snepp View Post
These are a couple minor suggestions for the pitching screen.

Display the current condition for the pitchers. This is another click saver where you don't have to open a player's profile to see their rest status.

The next is to make the "#" column clickable to select the next starter. This could be used as an alternative to the dropdown selection box.

This is an excellent suggestion. Perhaps you could add it to the "Art and Design Feedback" thread as well? http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #20
snepp
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
This is an excellent suggestion. Perhaps you could add it to the "Art and Design Feedback" thread as well? http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html

Thanks for the heads up on that thread, I'll be sure to cross-post any relevant ideas in there.