Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #181
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltJays View Post
I consider the ability to trade a DFA'd player a key aspect of the rules relating to DFA'd players.
I agree with your other points, and I think your long summary above about AI contract issues is excellent, but I don't understand this point at all. OOTP already does let you trade a player on waivers/in DFA. The option to trade a player is not 'negated' when you DFA him.

The problem with allowing GMs to DFA a player without waivers is it effectively doubles the size of the secondary roster. I can DFA everyone on my 40-man roster, sign 40 new guys, then DFA them and reinstate my previous 40 guys, and repeat ad infinitum. Preventing that loophole would require a fair bit of coding effort, and is going to complicate the entire DFA process. And for what? I don't understand what anyone gains by changing things. Everything a real life GM can do after DFAing a player can be done by an OOTP GM as well.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #182
CobaltJays
All Star Reserve

I hadn't considered that potential loophole, but the problem with requiring waivers when DFAing a player is that there isn't any real need for another team to give up something of value in a trade for that player when he can be plucked off waivers for free. The only types of trades that would really be worthwhile are ones where salary is being offset.
CobaltJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #183
injury log
Hall Of Famer

But, three things: AI teams don't understand that. They will trade the same amount for a guy whether he's on waivers or not. And a team with bad waiver priority may well want to trade for a guy who will end up on waivers, because they might not get him otherwise. And finally, OOTP is no different from real life in that respect. When a player is DFA'ed in real life, he essentially always ends up on waivers if he isn't traded first.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #184
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
I can DFA everyone on my 40-man roster, sign 40 new guys, then DFA them and reinstate my previous 40 guys, and repeat ad infinitum.
Actually, you can't under real-life rules (see post #165) since a player can only be re-instated to the 40-man roster from DFA if no other player has been added to the 40-man roster in the interim. Under your scenario those 40 players you DFA's cannot be added back to the 40-man since you added 40 other players to that roster. So those original 40 players have to be released, traded, or outrighted to the minors.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:56 AM   #185
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Actually, you can't under real-life rules (see post #165) since a player can only be re-instated to the 40-man roster from DFA if no other player has been added to the 40-man roster in the interim.
I understand that, but I was discussing what would happen in OOTP now if you allowed players to be DFAed without being waived. The game isn't tracking whether 40-man additions have happened since your last DFA move, so without coding a lot of extra stuff to make the game do things it doesn't currently do, loopholes would exist. That's not to mention the potentially considerable confusion that might arise among users unfamiliar with these technicalities about when they can reinstate a DFAed players to the active roster.

If there's some significant gameplay advantage to making a change, I could be persuaded that the coding effort would be worthwhile, but I've yet to hear any reason why changing how DFA works will make the user experience more interesting.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:31 AM   #186
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

OOTP ERA+ and OPS+ are not park adjusted.

They are not park adjusted because split season/career ERA+ and OPS+ are not calculated properly.

Correct the split season nonpark calculation, then you can make the career nonpark totals correct, and THEN you can make the individual season/split season/career figures adjusted for ballparks, as they should be.

Last edited by VanillaGorilla; 01-25-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Correction: The order for remedy is getting split seasons right, as the career is but a season with X splits.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #187
hfield007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla View Post

They are not park adjusted because split season/career ERA+ and OPS+ are not calculated properly.

Correct the career the calculation, then you can make the split season totals correct, and THEN you can make the individual season/split season/career figures adjusted for ballparks, as they should be.
THIS PLEASE. These are almost useless right now until this is done.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #188
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

Correct the career the calculation, then you can make the split season totals correct, and THEN you can make the individual season/split season/career figures adjusted for ballparks, as they should be.
^ This. Big legacy bug.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #189
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:

I cannot endorse this post forcefully enough. ERA+ and OPS+ without park adjustments are mislabeled stats.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #190
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Unless I'm totally missing it why can't we manually vote for "Manager of the Year"? We can vote hitter, pitcher, rookie, fireman, gold gloves and even a custom award but not Manager of the Year.

or am I missing this somewhere?

edit: sorry, fireman of the year is a custom award in our league

Last edited by byzeil; 01-27-2014 at 01:49 AM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #191
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
Unless I'm totally missing it why can't we manually vote for "Manager of the Year"? We can vote hitter, pitcher, rookie, fireman, gold gloves and even a custom award but not Manager of the Year.

or am I missing this somewhere?
Your not missing anything. I keep forgetting to say something about that one.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #192
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Can you please, PLEASE stop making all of the scouting director promotion/demotion recommendations magically vanish at the start of every preseason? I'm not changing scouts and I'm pretty sure I didn't hire Memento.

I always forget to do my promotions/demotions before the preseason starts, and end up shaking my fist at my screen. I use a mix of stats, ratings, and recommendations to make minor league level decisions, and that last factor gets negated every stinking preseason! It's somewhat infuriating and seemingly arbitrary.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #193
Salmon
Minors (Single A)

My pet peeve occurs when a player is injured and he must be immediately be replaced before he comes to bat.

For example: a pitcher is injured after the 3rd out of the inning. He is scheduled to bat 4th in the inning but the game wont allow the batters to bat until he is replaced. It puts the human manager at a disadvantage because you must immediately decide whether to place a pinch hitter in the lineup in the hope that one of the batters will get on base (if they don't you lose a bench player) or use a pitcher and lessen your chances of scoring.

Worst of all its unrealistic.
Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #194
FunkyBike1
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon View Post
My pet peeve occurs when a player is injured and he must be immediately be replaced before he comes to bat.

For example: a pitcher is injured after the 3rd out of the inning. He is scheduled to bat 4th in the inning but the game wont allow the batters to bat until he is replaced. It puts the human manager at a disadvantage because you must immediately decide whether to place a pinch hitter in the lineup in the hope that one of the batters will get on base (if they don't you lose a bench player) or use a pitcher and lessen your chances of scoring.

Worst of all its unrealistic.
This is the biggest legacy issue. No question.
FunkyBike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #195
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon View Post

That also caused a problem when the home team pitcher was injured after getting the third out in the top of the ninth, and then the home team wins the game in the bottom of the inning. The AI automatically named a replacement for the injured pitcher, and the replacement got the victory, even though he never even appeared in the game. I'm not sure if that has been fixed, but I'm sure it generated a lot of bug tickets in the past.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #196
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

As OOTP now blocks the trading of waived players, the DFA issues need to be fixed.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #197
CobaltJays
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
As OOTP now blocks the trading of waived players, the DFA issues need to be fixed.
I was actually about to post something on this. I just DFA'd a player that I no longer needed, but was unable to shop him around to other teams due to the fact he was on irrevocable waivers. I assume it's only possible to trade a DFA'd player once he's cleared waivers, which basically limits trades to salary-for-salary deals.
CobaltJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #198
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
When did that change? I'm not on the latest patch, but I'm on a fairly recent one, and I can trade players while they're on waivers. If that was changed, it's a change for the worse, and should be changed back to how it used to be.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #199
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
When did that change? I'm not on the latest patch, but I'm on a fairly recent one, and I can trade players while they're on waivers. If that was changed, it's a change for the worse, and should be changed back to how it used to be.
Patch #5.

Also, another transaction-related legacy bug: when you add minors to a league that had a reserve roster, all reserve roster players go in "limbo" instead of joining the minor league teams.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #200
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

I'd say that nicknames are the biggest legacy issue. How long have people clamored for change, and how often have they been disappointed? We should have:
  • The option to turn nicknames off;
  • The option to increase or decrease nickname frequency;
  • Nicknames coded like names, so that nicknames are linked to ethnicity;
  • Nicknames made era-appropriate.
Anyway, that's my two cents --

Joe "Death to Flying Things" Fromchicago
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote