Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Does OOTP Hate Me? Or Is This a Warm Welcome?

I started my very first season as GM of the 1981 New York Yankees. I was six years old in 1981, so I thought it would be cool to play with the very first player names my tiny brain recalls. I did very well in 1981.

1982 comes along and I'm building a very solid team, in my opinion. The best part is, my rotation was rock solid and my BP guys were good, except for my Closer, Goose Gossage, who was exceptional.

Dave Righetti was my Ace. He was also one of the top overall prospects. I was in heaven. And then it all went wrong...FAST.

(Disregard the amount of time injured. It is not accurate to what I'm about to state. I took these screenshots many in-game months after the initial injuries of the players. I didn't think I'd be in here whining like a baby until the very last injury when I really lost it. LOL)

ABOVE: This was my first wallop of injuries in the middle of 1982. 3 of my 5 Starting Pitchers. And then a couple of months later 1 of my good relievers (D. Bird). The length of time for every injury was between 12-16 months! Needless to say, the second half of my 1982 was all dandelions, candy & unicorns...NOT! It was difficult trying to fill the roles with even remotely good quality Starters without mortgaging my team's future.

We moved onto the 1983 Season and at least one pitcher was coming back to the team.

Tommy John baby! My 4th starter (with a fully healthy roster), I'm sure he'll stop the bleeding. I couldn't wait to see his first game back on the mound. I got nervous and limited him to 60 pitches. Better to be safe than sorry, right? Well, in hindsight I should have limited him to 10 pitches because ole' T.J. blew his arm up again after only 11 gosh darn pitches. Yes. Eleven. That's why you see everybody else's remaining time lowered 1 month while Tommy John's Injury is back up to 8 months.

I'm really struggling in 1983. I was able to get my hands on a couple of good pitchers, but even they are experiencing a run of bad luck - lots of 6th & 7th Inning leads blown. Then, just to put the icing on the top of my crap cake, this happens:

I know baseball is baseball. Stuff happens. But this level of bad luck?!?! Did I do anything wrong by putting Tommy John back into the rotation just a few days after getting back on my Active Roster? Any other Tips or Suggestions?

Last edited by ALB123; 02-26-2020 at 05:11 PM.
ALB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Unless I desperately need someone back on the mound or in the lineup in a pennant race, anyone who has been out for 5-6 weeks or more I put them on rehab for at least a start or two. Not sure how much of a difference it makes but it is supposed to. Most of what happened to you was just the wrong side of variance. Maybe you could have prevented the second Tommy John injury, maybe not.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:57 PM   #3
happyharrell
Minors (Double A)

Wait a minute...the game gave Tommy John a torn UCL? Awesome lol.
happyharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:39 AM   #4
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyharrell View Post
I thought the same thing.

I'll have to look into how to rehab a pitcher. Thanks for the heads up! My Team Owner is going to murder me in the off-season!
Old 02-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #5
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

You should look at what your pitchers do in their spare time. Looks like some of them took up hammer throw as a pastime...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
I thought the same thing.

I'll have to look into how to rehab a pitcher. Thanks for the heads up! My Team Owner is going to murder me in the off-season!
When a player is ready to return, if it has been a lengthy injury (how you define that can be different for each person, but generally speaking if I have a player out more than a month, I consider that rehab territory) you can send them to a rehab assignment by right-clicking on player profile and under transactions select send to rehab assignment (or some such wording, not in front of the game right now.)

There are limits (a bit longer for pitchers than position players) for how long they can be on the rehab assignment and you aren't obligated to keep them there the full time. I'll often check in and see how they are performing and make decisions about bringing them back to the big league club accordingly. But unless the team desperately needs them back even not at full strength, I will err on the side of giving them a bit more time to rehab even if they are tearing things up at AAA.

I don't know if this has any effect on whether they will be less prone to another injury, but it does help knock off the rust from inaction. So if you return them without a rehab stint after a long injury they will likely not be ready to perform up to expectations at first and will struggle.

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:10 PM   #7
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Generally, the number of injuries is pretty accurate, but the length of them is usually a bit of an issue for most

That said, I think the current Yankees iteration feels your pain also
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #8
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
There are limits (a bit longer for pitchers than position players) for how long they can be on the rehab assignment and you aren't obligated to keep them there the full time. I'll often check in and see how they are performing and make decisions about bringing them back to the big league club accordingly. But unless the team desperately needs them back even not at full strength, I will err on the side of giving them a bit more time to rehab even if they are tearing things up at AAA.
Thanks for that information in bold lettering. I happened to right-click a players name just off the IL and saw that I could send him down to the minors for a rehab assignment. Unfortunately, I got scared thinking he'll have to be down in the minors for 60 days minimum. Two more months without my flame thrower? I shudder at the thought. hehe

Thanks to everyone who's posted in this thread! I appreciate the jokes as much as the lessons.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #9
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyharrell View Post
I think it is hard coded that any league Tommy John plays in, he has to get a torn UCL at some point, and from that point on it changes how players react to a torn UCL.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:42 PM   #10
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

believe me you will get worse than that once in a while and occasionally you would get next to no injuries as well. However your medical staff the better it is the less serious the injuries can be as well but doesn't always hold water but more often than not I have seen it help
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #11
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
believe me you will get worse than that once in a while and occasionally you would get next to no injuries as well. However your medical staff the better it is the less serious the injuries can be as well but doesn't always hold water but more often than not I have seen it help
When you say "medical staff" do you mean my trainer? There isn't anything medical related besides that one Trainer, is there?

I'm going to put what is hopefully the last chapter in this Pitching Rotation madness thread (the original topic)...

Quick recap: Of the three Starters, Tommy John spent the most time in street clothes. T.J. had his initial injury and needed Tommy John surgery (who would have guessed?!). Once mended, he came back ready to rock! He took the mound, threw 11 pitches and then his shoulder blew up for another extremely long stint on the DL.

When I finally got him back for the second time, you know he repaid me? He promptly retired. Is there an option in OOTP 20 to have an executive-level "fixer" on the payroll? Tommy and I need to have a talk....
Old 03-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #12
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Your luck is...

...bad. Yep, that's the only word for it. You've got seriously bad luck.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote