Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #21
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I forgot to mention the Pro Cycling Manager series
I would never purchased it year to year since so little changes and the developers are not great about responding to launch bugs.
But if you ever purchase every third version it is a really fun series with great graphics (for a sports management sim)
Once you learn it, it can be very relaxing following your team during a race and watching the scenery roll by.
And it has enough depth building up your team to make it a good management sim.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:40 AM   #22
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I still think Football Manager probably beats us (which is no surprise, they sell 15 times the number of copies we do and hence have a much much bigger staff), but I am very happy with where we are right now. After all, it's not often a game franchise stays around for over 20 years. Here's to the next 20
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:15 AM   #23
jokerhusky1129
Major Leagues

OOTP is an awesome game...and I've found out recently so is FHM!! My two favorite games from the same publisher! Awesome job guys!
jokerhusky1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:02 AM   #24
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

There is nothing better than OOTP for me. Best game of any sort. Yes, I like other games, too. I like my Civ for grand machiavellian schemes that invariably involve the grim demise of a people or two or six (those are MY horsies!!), I like my trucking games (ATS, ETS2) that chill me out when I need it, I like Motorsport Manager (although I haven't played it for 18 months before randomly doing a race last week). I sorta like FM, although it constantly nags you with crap and it's always the same old bum world and the current color scheme makes my eyes bleed.

OOTP beats all of them. It's got baseball for a start, it's got near-infinite options for customization, it conjures up a new world for you in a heartbeat, and it's got a community that puts up with this nutjob.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:57 PM   #25
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Oh yeah, and perhaps the biggest thing that OOTP has over FM is the facegen. OOTP faces look great, while the FM faces (at least FM16-18, haven't played newer ones) look like something out of a horror film. It's a real shock considering the FM budget.

Also, real-life faces in OOTP will blend right in with any future regens. In FM there ends up being a weird mix of real-life photos, blank faces, and zombie regens.

For someone with OCD and wanting immersion, this is a huge point in OOTP's favour.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:01 PM   #26
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Wait...there's other sports? Why didn't you %W*&^$ tell me???

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #27
Ball Four
Minors (Rookie Ball)

For me there is no other game which captures you totally in the moment.

God my 3rd Baseman is down again ,out for what ...5 months ,and we`re supposed to contend this year,whats at AAA,hmm not good enough,we need to find someone,Free Agents...hell no,Waiver Wire,god they`re awfull............................................ ........trade it is then ,lets look at this
guy for trade bait.............................................. ..............................

A hour later and your still looking for that 3rd Baseman .

Where did the time go.......

Completely loose yourself in the game.............OOTP number 1
Ball Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:32 PM   #28
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

OOTPB is a dream come true.

Usually in the spring and summer, we were always at the playground on the baseball diamond, sunup to sundown... when it got too dark to see the ball, we would finally have to call it a day and go home.

Back in the 1950s on rainy days we would play APBA, a board baseball game with player cards based on mathematics and probability.

I dreamed for the day when a game would keep the scorecard, compute the dreaded batting averages and the very-complicated ERAs and keep the league standings.. it was my job to take care of the league stats..

50 years later in 2003, my dream came true with OOTPB.

Danken Sie sehr, mein Freund, Markus Heinsohn.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 01-23-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #29
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Four View Post
For me there is no other game which captures you totally in the moment.

God my 3rd Baseman is down again ,out for what ...5 months ,and we`re supposed to contend this year,whats at AAA,hmm not good enough,we need to find someone,Free Agents...hell no,Waiver Wire,god they`re awfull............................................ ........trade it is then ,lets look at this
guy for trade bait.............................................. ..............................

A hour later and your still looking for that 3rd Baseman .

Where did the time go.......

Completely loose yourself in the game.............OOTP number 1
Yep

In my last off season I needed a 5th outfielder. I studied all of the available free agents. Nothing that would fit or cost too much. My guys in AAA? Forget it, I wonder why I haven't released them yet. How about a trade? Nope, asking prices were way too high. What do I do? I need a utility outfielder. Then it finally hit me. I did something I almost never do. I took a guy in the Rule 5. He looks like the perfect fit. Plays all three positions and can run like a deer. I'm not expecting big offense out of him and likely won't get it, but that's not why he's there.

Easily, it took me an hour to find a utility 5th outfielder.

Another reason why OOTB is the best.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:57 PM   #30
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
I have 1,500+ hours combined in the Football Manager games, and 1,000+ hours combined in the OOTP games.

I think what pushes OOTP over the top for me, and why it's become my exclusive sports management game now, is that I can spend the time doing exactly what I want. Modern day? Historical? Perfect Team? It's all at my fingertips whenever. I can burn through a season in no time at all. With Football Manager there's so much busy-work and it takes forever to sim a season. Plus there's no extra options like Historical and Perfect Team.

With OOTP I feel like I'm playing my game, and with FM I feel like I'm playing SI's game.
This is why I do not understand folks who think FM is still the best game. In FM, you have zero historical leagues, can't ever play a fictional league nor can you change the settings or rules for your league--zilch customization.

There is often a glaring 'exploit' in each iteration, too--sometimes free kicks, sometimes formations of death. I usually stumble upon these gaping holes in the logic when trying to fine tune my team and it ruins the game for me.

Nope, FM is no longer the best. Indeed it is rapidly dropping off the cliff of playability.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #31
KBLover
All Star Reserve

Yep, I love how you can just turn everything on, let the game run wild, put in whatever environment you want it to start with, and it will give you a living, breathing baseball world to compete in.

As someone who is not 100% concerned with "realism" as I am the world's mechanics and "rules" staying relatively consistent, I love that OOTP will indeed develop it's own world and the players will tend to perform true to their environment.

I never know what's going to happen to my universe. In '19, there was what I called the "Japanese Invasion" where by 2040 came around, nearly 40% of my players in the MLB were Japanese and the MLB moved up the years to arbitration to 8, almost like it was adopting *** rules. I thought about merging the leagues somehow since that's what the game-made backstory was working towards...oh and a "natural" Ohtani-type was born. The Rockies drafted a 2-way talent and he became a HoF'er for both his bat and arm. An "American Ohtani".

Now my league in '20...rosters are down to 24 men. Reminds me of the "anti-LOOGY" type sentiment...except instead of batter minimum, they just lowered the roster, making it harder to carry "luxury" type players. However, the 40-man roster is now the 44-man roster, so a few more slots to protect...or gamble on... Rule 5 picks and the like.

The Japanese have not invaded this time (yet) but the league rapidly expanded to 36 teams, the White Sox were sneaked out of Chicago in 2020 and reborn as the San Antonio Generals, hitters are striking out 260 times, soon to have the first fictional 3,000 K pitcher (at age 34), the screwball is back in vogue, the knuckleball is making a comeback, there was a "female" player (unless there's guys named Amber), and my team has a female hitting coach in AA and another has one as an assistant GM....oh and the AL and NL one year both had a Triple Crown hitter.

I always can't wait to see what will happen next. How will the league change? Will there be expansion? Who will be posted? What chaos will ensue around the IAFA period (it's always insane with so much backstabbing lol).

Love this game. So glad I decided to devote all my baseball gaming time here.
KBLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #32
Rich Tiger Fan
Major Leagues

For me:

1. OOTP is king, as others have mentioned the customizability is what puts
it over FM. Also the time it takes to get through a season.

2 FM is a really really close second that I buy each year, but for the reasons
mentioned above, it's a notch below.

3. Motor Sports manager has gotten a few mentions already, and I am here to mention it again. A really fun time to be had here, even for non-race fans like myself. If you enjoyed watching cars go around a little black track as a kid. You'll really love this game.

4. PSU mentioned DDS Pro Basketball and it gets number four for me, the newest version is so clean and it has some features I wish OOTP would incorporate. Such as the Media magazines with blurbs about the top players in the league, preseason previews that are nice to look at...I know OOTP has these things in some manner but DDS does it way better.

5. I am cheating, I will put in all the more arcady games that I enjoy. FIFA,
Madden, The Show, and NHL hockey are all fun to a point but don't
plan on a great franchise experience.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:03 PM   #33
ignats75
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Thanks for the kind words guys!

I still think Football Manager probably beats us (which is no surprise, they sell 15 times the number of copies we do and hence have a much much bigger staff), but I am very happy with where we are right now. After all, it's not often a game franchise stays around for over 20 years. Here's to the next 20
I have over 30,000 hours playing Football Manager over the years. This is the first Sports Management game that can even be mentioned in the same breath. But, I agree with the OP. I have 3 simultaneous saves going in this game. I have a early historical as that's my passion. I have a 1962 historical as that was the first year I attended a baseball live as a kindergartner. And I have a current save. All three managing my beloved Cleveland Indians (well, Naps with the first one). That's something FM can't do. This is my go to Sports Management game now. I didn't even buy FM 20 and haven't hit my multi season Stoke City save in weeks.

So, keep up the good work Markus!
ignats75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #34
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

OOTP allows us to create virtually ANY professional baseball scenarios we can imagine, and, it's all included. I play mainly historical from Deadball to the 1940s. I don't have to pay ridiculous prices for seasons. I love Action PC Baseball but it cost me a small fortune to acquire everything from 1900 to 2019 plus other products like franchise greats, decade best, etc. How about minor leagues? OOTP has them! Negro Leagues? Check!

While other baseball sims claim to be the most accurate, OOTP proves it with the means to check the progress of your season versus the actual season. Having said that, since I play out all of the games of the team I manage in a given season, there will be variance - which is fine with me. If I want an actual carbon copy of a game played, I can easily tune into Classic Baseball on the Radio.

Anyone here ever tried Strat PC Baseball? What a nightmare! You have to buy the complete game every year just to get the most recent season. Ballparks are expensive if you're a historical replay person. In fact, I will go so far as to say that Strat PC Baseball is about as far as you can get from the sheer value and accuracy of OOTP.

OOTP is emperor. I do not see that ever changing.
Beatles Eternally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:57 PM   #35
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Old thread....but for, I want realism and a game that’s absolutely going to put me in the GM chair.

I don’t always love all of the micro-management of FM....as I’d much rather be just in charge of football operations...but it still replicates that so well and in such detail. The scouting, analytics, contract negotiations, etc are all done with incredible detail and is extremely immersive.

As mentioned earlier, OOTP has the macro view I want in that I don’t have to manage games. But as far as the detail with the GM aspect goes, it checkers vs chess in many ways.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote