Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #21
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
The reason I'm in the spectator/commissioner/historian category is because if I don't do take on that role, and I decide to manage a team, I will spend all my time getting bogged down in the minutiae of managing, get through a season and a half, and then the new OOTP will be out. I do it to save myself from myself, and my over the top obsessive compulsivity.

When I'm able to back off (which is very hard), I'm able to have games that last a long time, watch players get drafted, reach their peaks, hit the downside of their careers, and if they were great enough, make my HoF. I still vote for awards, manually select All-Star teams (may have to manually select awards too...See? I can't help myself ), and oversee things, but I try to back off as much as I can. I'm a rapid simmer 'til death though. I tried watching games, and quickly lost interest. I like to occasionally check out pitching matchups, like I used to do with the morning paper IRL, which has now morphed into MLB dot com, but I like to get through a season, and spend my immersion time pouring over the stats. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Spectator/Commissioner/Historian mode, Random Debut Historical, and speed simming with lots of swimming in stats. Definitely not for everybody, but it's my comfort zone. Who knows, maybe I'll figure out a different way to enjoy the game, but for now this is where it's at for me.
Different strokes for different folks it is. I think you know from our discussions that I have a massive case of "Sim Envy." Let's face it OOTP(career mode) is a simmers dream come true. Sad to say though, I just can't sim. I know I'm only watching a game per day(soon to be maybe 2 or 3 at times thanks to Bluenoser opening my eyes) and simming the rest, but that one game locks me in and helps me follow my leagues storyline. Something like a hot streak by a certain pitcher will make me watch a bunch of his starts in a row. A team on a tear will catch my eye or a team in total nose dive. I think playing this way is why I love 1 year recalc and the ups and downs that players go through.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #22
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Different strokes for different folks it is. I think you know from our discussions that I have a massive case of "Sim Envy." Let's face it OOTP(career mode) is a simmers dream come true. Sad to say though, I just can't sim. I know I'm only watching a game per day(soon to be maybe 2 or 3 at times thanks to Bluenoser opening my eyes) and simming the rest, but that one game locks me in and helps me follow my leagues storyline. Something like a hot streak by a certain pitcher will make me watch a bunch of his starts in a row. A team on a tear will catch my eye or a team in total nose dive. I think playing this way is why I love 1 year recalc and the ups and downs that players go through.
I totally agree that by doing this, I miss out on a ton of stuff with immersion potential, and can never know as much about my league as others will know about theirs. That's my tradeoff I guess. Getting heavily involved with all-star selections, awards selections, the HoF selections etc. Last year, I even did a dispersal rather than a draft for every draft based on real life advanced stats, from which I created a "draft value" for each player in the draft and stuck with it in the order of my rankings. The inaugural draft was torture, which I won't ever repeat, but it did eliminate the problem of superstars on their last legs going too high in that draft, and late bloomers going too low. Lots of tradeoffs in this game I guess, and everyone seems to see things differently, which is great.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #23
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
When you're on this page, select "All games today" from the drop down. All remaining games will be simmed, but the day won't change. You'll stay on that screen and that day.
Works exactly as you said. I've wanted this for several versions and it's been there all along. Thank you so much for telling me about this.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #24
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Yup, spectator mode ftw

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #25
WestCoastGuy
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Now, I know I can choose the option to not sim in the background and play both, but I'm horrible about forgetting and even worse about remembering to switch it back.

I'm sure it's located somewhere really obvious, but I'm just not finding it. Where is this option to not sim in the background?
WestCoastGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #26
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastGuy View Post
I'm sure it's located somewhere really obvious, but I'm just not finding it. Where is this option to not sim in the background?
Select a game to play. Game will move to game preview screen with team lineups. Middle top there is a box with scroll menu. Scroll that menu down and you will see the option for sim game in background. It is on (yes) by default. Turn it to "no" and games will no longer sim in background while you play .
Old 11-05-2019, 04:57 PM   #27
WestCoastGuy
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Select a game to play. Game will move to game preview screen with team lineups. Middle top there is a box with scroll menu. Scroll that menu down and you will see the option for sim game in background. It is on (yes) by default. Turn it to "no" and games will no longer sim in background while you play .

Perfect. Thank you.
WestCoastGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #28
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Spectate all the way for me.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #29
mytreds
All Star Reserve

I sim day by day, I only play Opening Day, debuts, and Postseason. End of the regular season, too, if the race is close.
mytreds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:52 AM   #30
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Since OOTP11.

I do,however,make a lot of player transactions(move players from team to team) and put additional players on the disabled list(or whatever it called today).
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #31
Hageneezz
All Star Reserve

I almost always play this way, as Uber League Commisioner. I just can`t get into managing a team myself. I think it is awesome being a GM but I always go back to creating new worlds and watching it all unfold...
Hageneezz is offline   Reply With Quote