Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
ThrownOutAtHome
Minors (Triple A)

CERA- Catcher ability and catchers ERA

Is the cathers ability supposed to reflect how well he handles a pitcher? For example if a Catcher has a 97 ability should not his CERA be lower normally than a Catcher with a 20 ability?
I have been studying my team in 2020 PT and many other teams and this is not the case at all. BTW this is not a small sample, I have looked up 100s of other teams over the last month and also made sure each catcher caught a fair amount of games to have a fair enough example.
For the most part I see no difference in favoring either catcher.
When I do see a difference and a decent difference at that such as a lower CERA by 1 or more IT IS THE CATCHER WITH THE LOWER ABILITY.

Am I not understanding what CERA means in this game? Am I not understanding what the catcher ability rating means? Of course the catcher arm can play a part also because he might be throwing out a lot more guys but I took that into account and once again I have REPEATEDLY seen a catcher with a lower ability and lower arm rating end up with a much lower CERA then a catcher with a MUCH higher ability and = or better arm.

Someone please give me advice or teach me if I am reading the stats wrong.

Look how much better Ivan Rodriguez catchers stats are better then King Kelly....yet his CERA is higher. Huge difference in both ability and arm.
This is very common from all my studies on catchers. I noticed this also in my single player games after playing thousands and thousands of games. Of course the overall cathers or any players total stats including hitting will give him a better WAR and I have found the WAR stat to work great in OOTP but Catchers ability RARELY to never makes a difference and when it does it seems like the catcher with the lower ability outperforms the better ability in CERA.

Please teach me if I am doing something wrong in reading into this or if this is a known issue.
Thank you for any help.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by ThrownOutAtHome; 11-02-2019 at 01:55 PM. Reason: ADDED IMAGES
ThrownOutAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

This guy did some tests that show how catcher defense affects pitchers

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...4&postcount=11
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
ThrownOutAtHome
Minors (Triple A)

CBeisbol:

Thank you for that link. It helped me a lot. I believe that guy is onto something. Only difference is I suspect/know it is even worse than I thought. I'll make a few adjustments to Catchers I use and obtain and how I use them from now on in both Single player and PT.

Have a great season and thank you for the fast reply.
ThrownOutAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote