Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #1
adamj
Minors (Double A)

Catcher playing shortstop.

After playing out about two seasons worth of games in OOTP XX, I was beginning to think this issue had finally been fixed. But here it is. Shortstop Brandon Crawford was injured in the top of the first inning. 2B Joe Panik has a rating of 5 (on the 2 to 8 scale) at SS. The Giants have a 4 rated second baseman on the bench. The correct move is obviously to shift Panik to shortstop and bring in the backup second baseman. Yet there is Buster Posey's smiling face standing at shortstop.

Compounding the matter is the fact that the reason Posey was not in the starting lineup is that he was tired. So they have a tired catcher playing shortstop for 8+ innings.

I've notice that a similar issue related to depth charts has been fixed. That is, using starters as the backup at other positions (e.g. the starting LF is the backup 1B) really does seem to work like it should. The same sort of AI substitution logic needs to be applied to covering for injures during the game.
Attached Images
adamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj View Post
I've notice that a similar issue related to depth charts has been fixed. That is, using starters as the backup at other positions (e.g. the starting LF is the backup 1B) really does seem to work like it should. The same sort of AI substitution logic needs to be applied to covering for injures during the game.
This is exciting

The thing about Posey playing SS. Not so much.

Just to be sure, Posey doesn't have any skill at SS, does he?
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

I don't think the issue is as bad as it used to be, but that might because I don't play as much.

It's as if the AI doesn't have a priority. Not counting catchers, I would imagine that most players are going to prioritize SS and CF.

I have an ex-starting CF'er who has only played CF and is still the best CF'er on the team. He is a switch hitter and can steal bases. The rookie that took his job is also a switch hitter, but isn't as good on defense or as speedy. He is the best hitting outfielder and has played all three OF positions. He is also the best LF'er. My corner outfielders (both bat R) are average across the board and neither expects to start. The 5th OFer is the worst of the bunch. He bats Left and spells the corner outfielders and pinch hits. The playoffs just started and guess what I never saw the WHOLE year... Not ONCE... Both switch hitting CFer's in the outfield at the same time. My manager's lack of creativity just boggles my mind. Sure, I can set the lineups, force start, manage the games, etc... But that isn't realistic at all.

I have a young RP who I claimed of of waivers. I was tempted to send him to AAA, but I put him in the majors. He is a 'Borderline Starter' and his future is 'Starter'. He was rocking and rolling as a long reliever and any day I expected my manager to slide him in the #5 spot. Finally, one of my starters gets hurt. I decide to bring up a RP and force my manager to insert him into the starting rotation. He started 8 games and was masterful. His ERA was around 2.00 and had gone down as a starter. So roster expansion comes along, I bring pitchers off the injured list and he is relegated to the mop up roll.

I have a 2B who has contact 70 (20-80) and he plays half a season as a rookie and hits .330. My manger likes him batting second and so do I. The second year, he makes the All-Star team and is batting .340. One day he's batting 7th. No slump. Then a second day he's 7th. And a 3rd and a 4th, etc... Team goes into a slide. I make a few changes and the team recovers, but he is still batting 7th. Sure he only has 4 or 5 HR's but he was second or third in doubles. He never did get a slump icon, but he finished batting .300.

I once had a 34 year old SS who made the All-Star team. After the season, whilst he was opening Christmas gifts, and apparently eating too much, his ratings took a nose dive. (I confess, I have my scouts spy/peek in on my players during the holidays) Before the very first day of Spring Training, nobody wanted him and my manager refused to give him a chance. I bring this up because I believe OOTP 'cheats' sometimes and peeks at ratings and knows a player is going to tank BEFORE he actually does. It's not that he tanked, it's that everyone knew it in January.

Player: "But I hit 24 HR's and made the All-Star team"
Manager: "But the scout updated your ratings whilst you where enjoying the holidays with the wife and kids and your career is finished."
Player: "But..."
Manager: "No buts, we could careless about the 8 Million we'll pay you this year. And since I'm not very creative and you only play SS, the GM will have to cut you unless you accept a AAA job. It's a shame you don't qualify as a utility IF'er or can't play 3rd."

If I play manager, I complain about the GM and if I play GM, I complain about the manager. I suppose I could do both because that's so common in MLB.
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
adamj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
The thing about Posey playing SS. Not so much.

Just to be sure, Posey doesn't have any skill at SS, does he?
His only position ratings are C and 1B. Enabling commissioner mode and going in to the editor, I see he did not even get any experience for playing most of this game at SS.

He does have decent raw infield ratings, such that he could become a serviceable 3B with enough experience. But maxing out the SS experience at 200 only gets him a SS rating of 50 in the editor. For comparison, Panik's SS rating in the editor is 94.
adamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:08 AM   #5
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
Spit balling here... But I wonder if it's residual raw infield stats from all those years ago when Posey entered the league? He played more 3b, ss and RP at FSU than C
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:07 AM   #6
Dukie98
All Star Reserve

Posey played SS regularly as a freshman at Florida State.

I have a more ridiculous situation... in my 48-team random debut league, depth is at a premium- each team has about 18 reserve roster players, but most teams just load them up with relief pitchers. Last year, Philadelphia's shortstop got injured at midseason... and they decided the best option at short was a 41-year-old, 280-pound Frank Thomas. The results were about what you'd expect... They're in much better shape for the upcoming season, having signed a 43-year-old Glenn Wright (1920s infielder) coming off an ACL tear.
Attached Images
Dukie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #7
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

I was going to say it's an homage to Gene Tenace, but I just checked and even he never played short. Just second.
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote