Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #21
Ktulu
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Plus there are always nuances like this:

Attachment 610594

I'm not against Steam; as I said before, I do like it for games by developers that I trust and admire (and to the extent that I believe in Steam's viability, which I do. Until I hear otherwise).

I do stand by the drawbacks that I mentioned in my previous posts, though. I also disparage those who dismiss a debate because they are personally convinced. OP asked for pros and cons about Steam vs. Download and the things that we have discussed here will still be "discussable" in 2029.
Other than automatic updates (which can be set to only on game launch - if you feel the need to check for issues beforehand), there is practically no difference between the standalone and Steam. People on here talk about Steam like a boogeyman, when in actuality it has almost single handedly revolutionized the PC gaming industry. Talk of it's viability and "renting" games is ridiculous, you're far more likely to have future issues with essellerate (which also has to be installed on your pc) than Steam licenses.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #22
clamel
All Star Starter

I would stay of steam as often as possible. Got earlier OOTP direct and some other games via steam. Those steam-installed have always created mess beside the fact that you now have an extra "supervisor" that sometimes don't let you just fire up and play. I play mostly offline, but often steam refuse and I have to log in and mess about with certain checks. For crying out load I buy a game no-one should then keep check if I be permitted to play.
Then I must say the folder structure is massively messy, so when trying to "fix" anything you have difficulty to find were. Then if steam think you miss something they just reinstall whatever without you knowing a damn thing.

They rule the game.

Often in my mind. What happens if steam brakes down ??

OK for some it might be easier to install, but really this game isn't that hard to setup and you always keep control of any updates.

Steam has found a brilliant middleway to make money on PC users that can't handle their PC. The idea to then get the rest in the fold too is just a master genius stroke.

I really honor OOTP for still staying with the option on having steam or regular. Fewer and fewer game do this. Hopefully OOTP never have to bow 100% to Steam.
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #23
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamel View Post
Steam has found a brilliant middleway to make money on PC users that can't handle their PC. The idea to then get the rest in the fold too is just a master genius stroke.
Sounds like you are one of those that can't handle their PC, too. In four years I have never had any sort of problem like you are describing.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #24
Clavette
Major Leagues

If it wasnt for steam I may never have learned about ootp.

So for that I'm pretty grateful
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #25
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
I am a huge Steam user, but for OOTP, I personally like to get the OOTP store version.

Being in an online league it's nice to be able to control when you get an update. I've done some mod myself and it feels better to be closer to the metal I suppose.

I like giving more money to the team too, since I've been supporting them for nearly 2 decades now. I remember when it was just Markus and nobody else.
I thought i was just missing a setting but you cant control updates. I had to play offline cause it would overwrite my logos and screw up my expansion. With the store version i knew when it was going to be updated. With steam i may not always notice.

I do like steam as a central location for games. but till i get a better tablet or another laptop the store version is enough for my two desktops.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:30 PM   #26
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

If the Steam price is 20 dollars then I would maybe buy it because I have other Games on Steam like City Skylines minus DLC's because of Graphics Card. Also can't buy Steam version yet.

Last edited by mgom27; 03-16-2019 at 10:43 PM.
mgom27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #27
bestbrother
Major Leagues

I take it then that if I get this game tomorrow that I cant just put the key into Steam?

Really want to play it, but am worried about going outside of Steams platform for it.. mainly as its ease of use to update and not having to backup this that or the other.
bestbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:16 PM   #28
icedragon15
Minors (Single A)

steam i have too many pc g ames so yea but i still buy ootp both stealm and pc cause i want early play and iwant it onsteam so go for double fun rihg
icedragon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #29
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbrother View Post
I take it then that if I get this game tomorrow that I cant just put the key into Steam?

Really want to play it, but am worried about going outside of Steams platform for it.. mainly as its ease of use to update and not having to backup this that or the other.
Yes pre order is a direct download and no steam key.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #30
tward13
All Star Starter

I have a few games on steam, but I always have and probably always will get OOTP direct.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #31
Marcelo67
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Steam works fine for me.
Marcelo67 is offline   Reply With Quote