Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
ZTO333
Minors (Double A)

Coach Trading

With the latest NFL news broke that the Browns almost traded for Jim Harbaugh it leads me to wonder will coach trading be in the game?
Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

coach trading doesn't really happen. the smart owners ask for compensation. If a staff member is under contract he really can't leave for another job unless the team gives permission. Generally they always allow the person out if it's a promotion but if it's for the same position the smart owner tries to get something out of it. Nobody wants a staff member working for them who doesn't want to be there. But this is all very rare so I would not expect it in.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

dave1927p, you underestimate Jerry Jones, who is keeping Bill Callahan on staff even though he doesn't want to be there since they wouldn't let him interview for OC jobs this offseason.

The only "coach trade" I can think of was Gruden to the Bucs, but that was really a fluke. I mean, Al Davis was involved.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

I know this would be a topic as soon as the news broke of the Harbaugh trade offer

While it does happen in real life, it is incredibly rare, so I won't mark it as a priority to get in BTS because I can imagine it's going to take a long time to get right
Old 02-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
dave1927p, you underestimate Jerry Jones, who is keeping Bill Callahan on staff even though he doesn't want to be there since they wouldn't let him interview for OC jobs this offseason.

The only "coach trade" I can think of was Gruden to the Bucs, but that was really a fluke. I mean, Al Davis was involved.
haha that's why I said generally. There are some stubborn owners who go by their own rules, and Jones is one of them. I would bet that it makes some people think twice before accepting a job with Dallas.

What about getting permission to signing another coach who is already in contract...is that possible [if it's a promotion]?

Last edited by dave1927p; 02-22-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
dumbrabbit
All Star Reserve

Heck the last time I remember a coach being fully traded in recent memory was Doc Rivers last year.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
I know this would be a topic as soon as the news broke of the Harbaugh trade offer

While it does happen in real life, it is incredibly rare, so I won't mark it as a priority to get in BTS because I can imagine it's going to take a long time to get right
Francis,

It is an interesting topic though. What if you provide an option where interested organizations can be shown somewhere. In other words, as coaches become more attractive to hire, a list of interested organizations is generated, making human and AI organizations play by the same rules. No, they can't negotiate with coaches until their team's season ends or permission is given, but with a list, players can then be shown who is calling and how to avoid losing a great coach to a rival team.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Great idea.
As always with any suggestion from now on, it will be in if there is time.

Already we have gone over what was originally planned for V1, so I don't want to go crazy and start promising stuff when there is no guarantee there is time to do it properly for V1
Old 02-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
StLee
Hall Of Famer

Please never make coach trading a part of the game. Has it ever happened?

If teams want to sign another team's OC or DC to be their HC, OK. But that is a promotion, not a trade.

Also:

Quote:
I figured this, too.

Current dynasties: Fallout 4's Commonwealth Baseball Organization

Completed dynasty: Fallout: New Vegas' Mojave Baseball League

Uniforms: My custom uniforms
Old 02-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

It happened. The Raiders traded Jon Gruden to the Bucs for draft picks and cash. It is, however, such a rarity that it's not considered part of the NFL in any real capacity.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #11
Spharv2
Minors (Double A)

Herm Edwards was traded from the Jets to the Chiefs...he only got a 4th rounder though, and they still overpaid.