Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
BradC
All Star Starter

Grand Championship League About to Launch! With Prizes!

Hi Everyone:

I am getting ready to launch the Grand Championship League I mentioned in another thread. I have already gotten in touch with the folks who are interested, so if you want to do this but haven't heard from me, please email me at brad.cook@ootpdevelopments.com

I am giving leagues two weeks to figure out who their representative will be. Cage match? Rock, paper, scissors tournament? You decide how to determine your rep.

The league will launch shortly after 2/15. (Hopefully the day after.) The plan is to do a fictional league with a fairly short season, but with a lot of teams making the playoffs (think NHL- or NBA-style playoffs), assuming we have a lot of participants. I hope the season can conclude by Opening Day and the expected April launch of OOTP 14 and iOOTP 2013.

More details to come, including prizes. (Likely the winner and the runner-up will score something, but I may do more than that, like the final four or final eight. TBD.)

Thanks!

- Brad
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Recte44
Global Moderator

How do we export our teams for this?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
Spindel
All Star Reserve

ULB will be joining in, determining our rep now.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
BradC
All Star Starter

I mentioned this to Matt by email, but I thought I would clarify this here too:

I'm not taking participants' teams. I'm taking participants who will join the league, which will be a one-off fictional one. The idea is to have a level playing field for everyone.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recte44 View Post
How do we export our teams for this?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Molson
Minors (Single A)

Suggestion for Brad.

I know you are saying it is a "one-off", but why not keep the league's players, and dump them back into the draft after this years season plays out, assuming you run one of these annually. While the GMs will be new each year, and there will be a new draft each year, at least the players with in that universe can develop histories.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Snoblitz
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson View Post
Suggestion for Brad.

I know you are saying it is a "one-off", but why not keep the league's players, and dump them back into the draft after this years season plays out, assuming you run one of these annually. While the GMs will be new each year, and there will be a new draft each year, at least the players with in that universe can develop histories.
Fantastic idea!
Snoblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
BradC
All Star Starter

Great idea. It was suggested to me that I create a fictional universe, sim it for 10 years, and then let the players draft their teams from that pool.

The only disadvantage I see to what you're suggesting is what if one GM is new to the league next year while someone else comes back? The person who comes back could have an edge, if they're already familiar with the player base.

Maybe I should do the same thing each year: create a fictional universe, sim it for a decade, and then do the draft. Then it's always a fresh experience and no one has a possible edge over someone else.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson View Post
Suggestion for Brad.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
Molson
Minors (Single A)

I guess I see your point about a new GM having a slight disadvantage, but they would be able to see the history of the league, so it may be mitigated to a degree.

It's your call, but I wouldn't mind stepping in as a GM after a year is in the books, as long as I had access to reports and histories of how everyone played.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Hmm...tough choice. My original thought would be to have it be a fresh league every season for fairness. Especially in the light that you are giving away prizes. But it would definitely be a better narrative to have the same players in the league year after year.

BTW, I think this is a great idea. Kudos for making it happen!

EDIT: I guess the fairness aspect could be changed by requiring leagues to send a different participant every season if they play in consecutive seasons. I would think leagues would kinda want to do that anyway. Then we could keep the narrative of the same league and have more fairness.

Last edited by TribeFanInNC; 02-06-2013 at 04:27 PM.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
eMLBCommish
All Star Reserve

Are you still accepting representatives for this? I have a half-dozen people who have been with eMLB for over 12 years and 25+ seasons of play. One particular GM has never missed the playoffs. EVER.

The Man Behind eMLB - https://atl-02.statsplus.net/emlb/re..._150_home.html

Proud OOTP Affiliate Streamer
Proud Twitch Partner (Partnered 3/15/22)
eMLBCommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #11
BradC
All Star Starter

Yes, I am. One rep per league. Send me an email if you want to send someone. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMLBCommish View Post
Are you still accepting representatives for this? I have a half-dozen people who have been with eMLB for over 12 years and 25+ seasons of play. One particular GM has never missed the playoffs. EVER.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
mskuts
Bat Boy

Just emailed you. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
BradC
All Star Starter

I'm gearing up to get this league going, so please send me your reps, if you haven't already. I have sent emails to a few commissioners, but some folks, such as Molson and Spindel in this thread, I've only contacted by forum PM, so check your in box on the forum too. I would prefer everyone email me at brad.cook@ootpdevelopments.com so I have everything in my email.

The deadline is this Friday, 2/22/13, to tell me who your rep will be. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #14
suzerain
Minors (Single A)

Just wanted to say that we at the World Baseball Hierarchy selected our representative. Since we're a promotion/relegation league, it was a simple conclusion for us to select the team at the top of the pyramid.

About how the league works, I think it would be great if each league's team continued from season to season. I really like the idea of a team that continues year to year, with different GMs taking the reins. It's true that a returning GM would have a slight edge, but I think the benefit of a history accruing over time outweighs the negatives.

Best of luck to the competitors, and to the commissioner!
suzerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
Spindel
All Star Reserve

I've emailed you with our rep. I'll be watching. Can we also have a ghost log in with the file by chance? (For non gm's to follow along?)
Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #16
BradC
All Star Starter

Not sure about the ghost log-in. Will check on that.

The last commish I need to hear from is Dbobola22 of the Paramount Baseball League. Anyone know him or know any PBL members?

I've sent a couple PMs via the forum and sent an email to the commish address yesterday, but no response so far. I'd hate to see them drop out, since that would give us an odd number of teams.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #17
Spindel
All Star Reserve

f you need a league on short notice, perhaps ask Buane of the RSL to join.