Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
BradC
All Star Starter

Online league promotion + a possible grand championship

Hi Everyone:

I'd like to make sure I'm supporting OOTP's online leagues as much as possible, so if you want me to put out the word about GMs needed, new leagues forming, etc., just let me know and I can post the info on Twitter and Facebook. Send me a PM or email me at brad.cook@ootpdevelopments.com

Also, I had an idea a while back that Markus and Andreas liked, so I wanted to run it by all of you. I was thinking it would be fun to do an annual online league that would function as the OOTP Grand Championship. The idea is every league that wants to participate sends a representative (you decide how to do that: your last champion, the winningest GM, random drawing, etc.) and I commish an online league at the end of which the champion gets bragging rights for his league plus some prizes (to be determined, but I'm thinking free copies of the next version of OOTP for everyone in the league, plus something cool for the player who participated).

It would be an offseason thing, to keep interest in OOTP going during the winter, and it would be short, with an abbreviated schedule and an NHL-like playoff structure so more players have a shot at winning the whole thing. I wouldn't want players to get pulled away from the leagues they're participating in, so we could discuss how to structure it in a way that's fun and fair without consuming too much of the players' time.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

- Brad
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
BradC
All Star Starter

Something to add to the promotion part of that message: I can also retweet league championship news and things like that. Just send me a message.

You can also get my attention on Twitter by including @ootpbaseball in your tweets, so I see them. I also try to sweep through various search terms, like OOTP 13, #ootp13, #ootp (tons of Harry Potter stuff), etc. at least once a day.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
snake1399
Minors (Triple A)

This is a great idea, Brad!

The USBL would be happy to send a representative over to the League. I'd be happy to help with set-up or anything else as well. Keep me posted.

Email is best: snake.1399 at wowway.com

thanks!
Snake
Old 11-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
trident
All Star Reserve

The idea is great, the architecture for a level playing field between gm's is a bit more difficult.

I guess if the league is a draft of every player for that year from top to bottom from an agreed upon roster DB.

Either way this is pretty cool to have a 'champions league' of GM's represent their home league.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
BradC
All Star Starter

What do you mean by "the architecture for a level playing field between gm's is a bit more difficult"? Do you mean different leagues are set up various ways, and thus some GMs may be at a disadvantage because of what they're used to? That's a valid point, although I'm not sure how to structure this in a way that adheres to some kind of baseline among the online leagues out there.

I agree, though, that the ground rules should be agreed to before time. I'm also happy to set up the league in a way that's fair to everyone.

I was thinking either a draft using current MLB players, with each GM using whatever team name they want, or a draft with a crop of fictional players. I was also thinking the season would be short, maybe 50 or 60 games, with at least half the teams reaching the playoffs, but that's open for discussion too.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
trident
All Star Reserve

I just mean everyone is going to try to study and get an advantage over the database used. If it's fictionally generated, that'd make things really interesting

I would definitely be following .. I think it's even worthy of some media on our side of things too
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
Kaaosaste
Minors (Double A)

This is a cool idea.

Would each season be a one off? Or would the league keep going from season to season with new GMs (and some returning, I'd imagine)?
Kaaosaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
zero2426
Minors (Single A)

Can you do the games live?
zero2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Spindel
All Star Reserve

Or go more insane, have a deadball league division, modern division, etc and import the champions/selected teams from each online league.

Would be a massive undertaking, but I'd think it would be doable.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
BradC
All Star Starter

I'm thinking each season would be a one-off. It would start all over again the next year, and each league could again decide how to determine their rep.

Broadcasting the games live in real-time sim mode is a great idea. Maybe not sim every day that way, but maybe once a week have an event where games are simmed live. Having running commentary would be fun too.

Having fictionally generated players would definitely be a good way to put everyone on a level playing field, I think. Sort of like way back when, when Atari did those Swordquest games: they had a final championship at their offices, and all the contestants played on a unique game that was created just for that. The idea was "Okay, you solved all the previous games, now put your skills to the test on something you've never seen before."

I'm looking at this in a similar way: Okay, you're the rep for your online league. You've probably been playing OOTP for a long time and have some skills. Now let's see how you do with a crop of fictional players that no one knows anything about until they're generated. I think if I go with modern players or historical players, it will give someone an advantage if their league uses those. Fictional means everyone has to start from square one.

Quote:
Or go more insane, have a deadball league division, modern division, etc and import the champions/selected teams from each online league.

Would be a massive undertaking, but I'd think it would be doable.
That would be insane. It's a good idea, but I don't know if I could do that, at least not without some help. I think an easier way to go right now is to use a fictional league. Start with something manageable and then work my way up to something more complex in the future.

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. Keep 'em coming.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
Travereno
Minors (Single A)

BCB will also be sending a participant. This is an awesome idea!

When ready, send info to travereno@gmail.com
Travereno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
John C
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Brad,

I believe MLBPro would be quite interested in sending a participant. Additionally, you know I'd be willing to assist you in running things. Just say the word.

-John

John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Recte44
Global Moderator

MBWBA will be excited to participate in this as well.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
coljesep
All Star Reserve

would this begin with OOTP 14 or 13?

I think it'd be cool if the first season was a bunch of Commissioner's of the leagues first hah
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
BradC
All Star Starter

It would have to be OOTP 13, since I would like to do this around Jan. or Feb. I don't think we want to use an OOTP 14 Beta for this.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
coljesep
All Star Reserve

Brad, VBL would definitely be interested - let me know! You have my contact info I believe
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #17
Fireguy61
Minors (Rookie Ball)

All Star Baseball would be interested in a "Champions League".
Fireguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
Molson
Minors (Single A)

Is this still happening?

I am sure a few of my leagues would like to send someone.
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #19
suzerain
Minors (Single A)

Interesting idea...add me to the list of people that want to participate in this. (Commissioner of WBH.)
suzerain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

Excellent Idea! I can't wait to see this come to be.

I am in two leagues and probably wouldn't be selected to the championship. But I would definitely be watching my representatives in the championships.
jmknpk2 is offline   Reply With Quote