Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:18 AM   #21
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post
Can someone give me a review on Front Office Football? Pros and cons? I've been dying for a football sim ever since Front Page Sports died in the 1990s......nothing has been remotely good..
I bought it last week and am enjoying it once I get past the bad GUI. I find myself having to write down a lot of things on a paper because the game does a poor job of displaying certain items but overall i'm happy with it. I am playing purely as a GM and not bothering with calling the plays...I did not enjoy that aspect in the game but from a pure GM standpoint its holding me over. Try out the demo. It will let you play long enough to decide if you feel it is worth purchasing. It's a surprising deep game.
http://www.operationsports.com/revie...ootball-seven/

Last edited by dave1927p; 08-10-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:59 PM   #22
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
I bought it last week and am enjoying it once I get past the bad GUI. I find myself having to write down a lot of things on a paper because the game does a poor job of displaying certain items but overall i'm happy with it. I am playing purely as a GM and not bothering with calling the plays...I did not enjoy that aspect in the game but from a pure GM standpoint its holding me over. Try out the demo. It will let you play long enough to decide if you feel it is worth purchasing. It's a surprising deep game.
Front Office Football Seven Review (PC) - Operation Sports
I agree with this!

If you can get over the UI then you have a great game!

Old 08-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #23
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Ok, I read the review, and there's a lesson here. The Operation Sports review states...
"Dated interface and graphics; Steep Learning curve; Menus could be organized better."
I agree. This will hold me back from buying the game, even if it's a completely updated title, with new rosters, rules, and features. I do not like the appearance of an aging interface, which should have received some work. It appears that the lone developer had to spend more time on data and features, but relying on a tired appearance isn't a great selling point.

My hope is that BTS will vastly exceed the GUI from FPS.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #24
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413 View Post
Ok, I read the review, and there's a lesson here. The Operation Sports review states...
"Dated interface and graphics; Steep Learning curve; Menus could be organized better."
I agree. This will hold me back from buying the game, even if it's a completely updated title, with new rosters, rules, and features. I do not like the appearance of an aging interface, which should have received some work. It appears that the lone developer had to spend more time on data and features, but relying on a tired appearance isn't a great selling point.

fair enough, but it will take a couple versions I expect for it to reach the depth of FOF.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #25
Garethw87

Quote:

The GUI on the Op Sports review are outdated now. The guy who makes the make let the community make some better graphics for the game so it looks more like...

http://www.solecismic.com/frfo7screen/mainframe7.jpg

Ok so the system the game uses is still stuck in 1996 but at least it's easier on the eyes!

Old 08-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #26
conception
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
The GUI on the Op Sports review are outdated now. The guy who makes the make let the community make some better graphics for the game so it looks more like...

http://www.solecismic.com/frfo7screen/mainframe7.jpg

Ok so the system the game uses is still stuck in 1996 but at least it's easier on the eyes!
None of the chances from FOF2007 to FOF 7 to the latest graphic update really chance the interface all that much. The under the hood stuff in FOF2007 was good enough that I would have been happy with the exact same game but modern interface. Nothing in the new version makes me even feel like I am playing a new/different game compared to the old (ok, maybe the coach contract system) and the interface is bad enough that it really makes a well-coded sim non-immersive.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:49 AM   #27
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

The jpg in that link does look improved, but blocky, poorly colored, and not very attractive. Doesn't have any sort of football feel to it.

As I said, seeing a game look like this, even the more updated screen in the link, makes me think twice about buying it. I love stat simulations, and the game of football with every blood cell in my body, but if all I do is stare at screens like that one, I'll keep my money.

And in case anyone thinks I'm a hypocrite, I'll gladly support a new product like BTS with only limited GUI graphics, but that's because it's new. Something in development deserves time to mature in the marketplace.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:13 AM   #28
conception
All Star Starter

Quote:
The jpg in that link does look improved, but blocky, poorly colored, and not very attractive. Doesn't have any sort of football feel to it.

As I said, seeing a game look like this, even the more updated screen in the link, makes me think twice about buying it. I love stat simulations, and the game of football with every blood cell in my body, but if all I do is stare at screens like that one, I'll keep my money.

And in case anyone thinks I'm a hypocrite, I'll gladly support a new product like BTS with only limited GUI graphics, but that's because it's new. Something in development deserves time to mature in the marketplace.
I didn't mean to discourage anyone from buying the game. It has its flaws that unfortunately were scarcely addressed in the recent update, but believe me when I say that under the hood it really is a good simulation of football. If you download the gameplan library that a user created, it really does possess the challenge that any fan of sports management and football will really enjoy. Putting together a roster, choosing a strategy (which the gameplan library is essential to), and then seeing if your decisions lead to wins or losses is every bit as fun and sometimes as frustrating as real life. You can win with a decent QB but be held back by him at the same time, and obtaining a franchise QB is a challenge that I find surprising difficult unless you can trade up in the draft for a can't miss-prospect, which is as difficult to find in the game as real life. If you don't have a good defense, you can watch your offense come close to domination yet have their efforts stifled by a group who keeps no lead safe and limits the opportunity of the offense to make an impact. It also has mechanics to award continuity in a roster, so you don't change your roster week in and week out by signing a guy rated 2 points higher than the guy you already have.

I've many many hours playing this game, and that it produces realistic stats and keeps a fairly good record of them is something that makes me want to keep playing. Most of use that you hear criticizing or being a little disappointed in it aren't because we found the game unenjoyable, it's just that we've spent 5-7 years in a relationship with a game that doesn't seem to be going anywhere, which after a while gets stale like in real life even when you are with something great.

The more OOTP fans that play FOF, the better we can help guide the developers here with constructive input to help them eventually make the football game that we all really want to see.

Last edited by conception; 08-13-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:46 AM   #29
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by conception View Post
...The more OOTP fans that play FOF, the better we can help guide the developers here with constructive input to help them eventually make the football game that we all really want to see.
Great point. In a way, it's reverse engineering, in that we experience an existing game, deconstruct it in our minds, make notes of its strengths and weaknesses, and post ideas about what works and what doesn't.

The only concern I would have is that Francis is already moving in a direction in game development and too much volume in the form of idea mapping could result in disappointed (or reassured) fans. If he's bombarded with outside ideas, even if they're well formulated, it could bog things down.

But, like a 21st century organizational view, there are no "bad ideas", so yes, I'd encourage anyone to post thoughts, but it might be better to read those thoughts on other sites and then share them here in comparison once more news of BTS comes out.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #30
sflcat61
Minors (Double A)

The guy who makes FOF doesn't seem to be much interested in gamer feedback. For a long time people were wanting multi-player for FOF, which he finally put in a couple of releases before the current one. For years, people have chimed in about what customizations they would like to see in the game. However, JG seems to have a singular vision of what he wants the game to be, and if what you want isn't part of that vision, well tough luck. I think the only reason he opened the game up to custom graphics from the users was because the reaction to the old school GUI was so negative, it must have impacted sales.

Now, having said all that, it is a very good simulation of the modern pro game. You won't find a deeper career-based sim for American football.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #31
dumbrabbit
All Star Reserve

You mean besides BTS?

Last edited by dumbrabbit; 08-25-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:10 PM   #32
dsthom
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Having played quite a few Cyanide games, I have to say that they tend to make nice games but of inferior quality to what OOTPD does.

So if you can only choose one, I'd wait for BTS. If you can afford and have the time for both though, go for both.
How could any game be "inferior" to FHM?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:52 PM   #33
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsthom View Post
How could any game be "inferior" to FHM?
I've played hundreds of games that are inferior to FHM. I don't love FHM but, at this point, it's a lower mid-level game with some good points and some bad points, but with real promise. Many other sports games have neither any good points nor any promise.

You're letting a personal grudge against the FHM team get in the way of your reason, or else you just haven't played many games and so haven't seen just how bad most games, especially sports sims, really are.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 08-31-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:17 AM   #34
Penfold75
Major Leagues

Front Page Sports Football out on Steam on the 25th September. Screenshots look pretty good so far :-)
Old 09-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #35
HerbD
All Star Reserve

No mention of Professional Football Simulator in this thread so I thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #36
dumbrabbit
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbD View Post
No mention of Professional Football Simulator in this thread so I thought I'd throw it out there.
I've played PFS before, but honestly, it's not that great. I would tell you why except that I really don't have a reason, it just feels, bleh kind of. I guess I just need to get used to PFS more.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #37
Cap Heresy
Minors (Single A)

I would avoid PFS. I did a study of some of the personality traits and how they are supposed to affect the player's career. One example is Work Ethic, which is supposed to affect their off-season skill development. I used a significant sample size, did an eye test, and also ran it through a Pearson correlation calculator. There was absolutely no correlation, despite the developer's continuing insistence that there is.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #38
Quinton_Upchurch
All Star Reserve

Was bored and about to pull the trigger on this but, holy fck, this is the first review on Steam:

*No initial draft - You're given a team to start with and have no control over who's on it.
*No 4th down conversions as far as I can tell. There is a category for it in the game recap screen but every time I've had a 4th and short the AI decided to punt automatically.
*No 2 point conversions... Very frustrating.
*No onside kicks... Again, this is a necessity if you're trailing late in a game. None to be found here.
*Quarterbacks like to throw to receivers who are well covered even if another is wide open.
*On the flipside, defensive backs have a tendancy to either stay a few yards away from the receiver they're supposed to cover or just not cover him at all. This is probably my biggest annoyance at the moment.
*No forward progress - If the ball carrier picks up yardage and then gets pushed back, the ball is spotted where the play ended.
*Incorrect yardage for kick/punt returns - On several occasions I've seen a kick returner tackled before he gets to the 20 yet is still awarded a return of ~35 yards.
*Blitzing doesn't seem to be effective in the slightest. I'll have to do some more experimentation on that, though.
*You are limited to 16 plays from your playbook on each play meaning that sometimes the play that you really want to call may not be available.
*There are all sorts of grammatical errors and typos.
*The only penalties I've encountered thus far are offensive offside and illegal contact.
*No play clock.
*No audibles.
*3D view is simply useless. The 2D overhead is much better for diagnosing what's going on on the field.
*There appears to be no multiplayer whatsoever, not even local.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #39
Penfold75
Major Leagues

Front Page Sports Football probably the worst game I have ever played. Total waste of money. No way to edit ridiculous team names, player names or ratings. 3D game view is tiny. Games are called matches and there are 4 yard penalties. Developed by folk with no Football knowledge whatsoever. Roll on BTS the so called competition is pitiful. Game release was postponed due to things that the Quality Department spotted. The bugs and issues they didn't spot and released is very worrying.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #40
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

I have to agree that PFS sucks when it some to solo play but it can make for some GREAT online leagues. If anyone wants to try it you can find a new league (with openings) here: Login Required | GLFootball I am San Fransico. All the online leagues have great communities, and solves the problem of the AI not trading. Plus most use minicamps which allow you to train your players specifically, and it takes into account work ethic too.

Sorry to post about another game here, just thought I'd defend PFS as a big fan of it.