Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Cfl?

Just curious, will the game have the CFL playable? There is virtually no CFL games out there, let alone a CFL manager game!
Old 01-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

No. One of the main issues is that the game is a lot different we'd have to do a different game-Engine.

You could make your own fictional league with the proper team names etc, but the actual game would still play like a NFL game though.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

From Francis' posts, not in the first version, but I'm hoping to see it in a later version.

EDIT: Beaten to it by the man himself by less that a minute

Last edited by Cryomaniac; 01-31-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
From Francis' posts, not in the first version, but he's hoping to get it in a later version.
If only to stop me nagging him about it.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
DeViLzzz
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjo View Post
Just curious, will the game have the CFL playable? There is virtually no CFL games out there, let alone a CFL manager game!
I too am hoping one day we will see some sort of CFL game out there.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
No. One of the main issues is that the game is a lot different we'd have to do a different game-Engine.

You could make your own fictional league with the proper team names etc, but the actual game would still play like a NFL game though.
I see, that makes sense. I guess that'll be better than nothing. Any chance we'll see it in a future version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
If only to stop me nagging him about it.
Haha keep it up :P
Old 01-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeViLzzz View Post
I too am hoping one day we will see some sort of CFL game out there.
I was thinking maybe EA would do with their Madden game what they do with NHL - add some other football leagues like CFL.

But I'd understand if the demand isn't there for a CFL game. Sadly. I'm not even a huge football fan, besides the CFL.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
dmytron

And what about Aussie rules?

Old 01-31-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
Twelvefield
All Star Starter

I don't sign in very often anymore, you can see that in my profile. OOTPB is an outstanding game, so there will be a lot to live up to for BTS, I am sure.

What a crushing disappointment that the CFL will not be modelled. I can understand that development resources are limited, but that does nothing to reduce my letdown regarding this situation.

There are aver 100 years of history of the CFL, that's more than an unbroken century of football. The game has been played in floods and storms, through bitter winters and blighted droughts. We have seen wars and prosperity. Canadian football has been the constant catalyst that binds our country, east and west, anglo and francophone, prairie and city alike. It has provided American football with their greatest player: the incomparable Warren Moon. It continues to refine the prospects that the established NFL nabobs reject, or was there someone among our friends to the south who really did see Cam Wake coming?

Sure, be excited for BTS, it looks like it will be a nice game. But it will be incomplete until it can include the CFL. Whatever can be said to make the CFL a part of this game, please consider that when it comes time to add features to BTS!

Last edited by Twelvefield; 01-31-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefield View Post
I don't sign in very often anymore, you can see that in my profile. OOTPB is an outstanding game, so there will be a lot to live up to for BTS, I am sure.

What a crushing disappointment that the CFL will not be modelled. I can understand that development resources are limited, but that does nothing to reduce my letdown regarding this situation.

There are aver 100 years of history of the CFL, that's more than an unbroken century of football. The game has been played in floods and storms, through bitter winters and blighted droughts. We have seen wars and prosperity. Canadian football has been the constant catalyst that binds our country, east and west, anglo and francophone, prairie and city alike. It has provided American football with their greatest player: the incomparable Warren Moon. It continues to refine the prospects that the established NFL nabobs reject, or was there someone among our friends to the south who really did see Cam Wake coming?

Sure, be excited for BTS, it looks like it will be a nice game. But it will be incomplete until it can include the CFL. Whatever can be said to make the CFL a part of this game, please consider that when it comes time to add features to BTS!
I am pretty sure that the CFL will be part of BTS one day, it will not be in the first version though. But please keep in mind that this is just the start, Rome wasn't built in a day either. We will work hard to release new versions every year, and these will improve the game substantially each time. And one of those years, stuff like playable college leagues, historical leagues and other leagues including the CFL will be added.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
Cole98
Minors (Triple A)

If you do add CFL have it so you can change rules of a league
IE you can make a 4-down league using a CFL field

OOTP 16 Dynasty
The North American Game
Old 01-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #12
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole98 View Post
If you do add CFL have it so you can change rules of a league
IE you can make a 4-down league using a CFL field
Ideally we should (eventually) be able to have any combination of rules we like. I appreciate that programming AI for such things is not likely to be easy though.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
struggles_mightily
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Ideally we should (eventually) be able to have any combination of rules we like. I appreciate that programming AI for such things is not likely to be easy though.
Yeah, although OOTP is super-customisable, most of that customisation 'just' covers the structure and rules of leagues, the players and teams, schedules, etc.. It has never really allowed customisation of the game of baseball on the field -- no 9-balls-for-a-walk in the 19th century, for instance, or 7-inning minor league double-headers. So I can imagine that such things are harder to enable than off-field customisation.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:38 PM   #14
BradC
All Star Starter

FWIW, I'm looking forward to historical USFL play.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:45 PM   #15
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by struggles_mightily View Post
Yeah, although OOTP is super-customisable, most of that customisation 'just' covers the structure and rules of leagues, the players and teams, schedules, etc.. It has never really allowed customisation of the game of baseball on the field -- no 9-balls-for-a-walk in the 19th century, for instance, or 7-inning minor league double-headers. So I can imagine that such things are harder to enable than off-field customisation.
The difference is that baseball is the same everywhere, but the CFL does actually have different rules to the NFL, so if you want to include it you would have to allow such things.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:45 PM   #16
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
FWIW, I'm looking forward to historical USFL play.

As long as some teams-New Jersey Generals and Michigan Panthers can switch to the NFL.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:47 PM   #17
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
I am pretty sure that the CFL will be part of BTS one day, it will not be in the first version though. But please keep in mind that this is just the start, Rome wasn't built in a day either. We will work hard to release new versions every year, and these will improve the game substantially each time. And one of those years, stuff like playable college leagues, historical leagues and other leagues including the CFL will be added.
That is the only way to do it start small then grow
Old 01-31-2014, 06:55 PM   #18
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Just announced my first Expansion Fictional CFL team-Alberta Clippers.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 01-31-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #19
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefield View Post

No it won't be. It's an American football simulator, not an "all world" football simulator. I ragged on a guy earlier for saying he wanted to see some obscure second-tier leagues in the game in the first version and no offence but I think it's the same case here.

Listen, I'm Canadian and a fan of the CFL as well, but I think you are being way over dramatic about this. I would imagine the number of people like yourself who feel strongly enough about the CFL's inclusion to consider the game incomplete otherwise would be an extreme, extreme minority.

It might be something important to you and important that you want to see, but that doesn't mean it's a good business decision for the developers of this game to put tons of time and effort into including it in the first version.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:41 PM   #20
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

personally I'm a avid watcher of the Ti-Cats in the CFL and I'm glad to hear from a development standpoint the plan is to add it eventually. That vision is good enough for me.

I'm also a big Bills fan so to start with the NFL only makes sense. It is a happy day for me right now and will be an even happier day once the CFL is implemented correctly. In the meantime I will work hard on winning the Bills the championship.