Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #141
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Never realized just how many players there are that I've never heard of. Or how much attention I pay to OOTP baseball instead of real baseball. Patrick Corbin is finishing up a nice career in my RDL. 250+ wins. Didn't even realize he's an up and coming pitcher in the NL.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #142
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Never realized just how many players there are that I've never heard of. Or how much attention I pay to OOTP baseball instead of real baseball. Patrick Corbin is finishing up a nice career in my RDL. 250+ wins. Didn't even realize he's an up and coming pitcher in the NL.
Yeah, he's with the Diamondbacks. They have one helluva staff now with Greinke, Miller, Corbin, Archie Bradley - Geez! He very nearly made the HoF in my league, even though he suffered a CEI during his age 33 season.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #143
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Yeah, he's with the Diamondbacks. They have one helluva staff now with Greinke, Miller, Corbin, Archie Bradley - Geez! He very nearly made the HoF in my league, even though he suffered a CEI during his age 33 season.
The NL is definitely my weak spot. Doesn't help that I'm in a AL only fantasy league. Oh and Bud blackmailed the Astros (used to be my gateway to the NL) into moving to the AL.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #144
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I've been meaning to ask, do you use the draft pick signing period for your league? I have it turned off in mine. I remember VanillaGorilla used to use it in his. I would be scared that a player like Cobb would refuse to sign and I would miss out on part of his career.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #145
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've been meaning to ask, do you use the draft pick signing period for your league? I have it turned off in mine. I remember VanillaGorilla used to use it in his. I would be scared that a player like Cobb would refuse to sign and I would miss out on part of his career.
I don't use it. I know it's not realistic, but I want the best players to go to the worst teams regardless of whether they want to or not. It's my game, I'll play it my way thank you very much.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #146
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't use it. I know it's not realistic, but I want the best players to go to the worst teams regardless of whether they want to or not. It's my game, I'll play it my way thank you very much.
Hell, my free agency rules are pretty much laughable, so you won't catch me dogging the way someone plays. I have it set so guys have to play 15 years before they become free agents. I prefer to use the reserve clause, but without free agency guys tend to refuse to retire. My next go around I plan to use more traditional free agency. Been debating changing the rules in my current league, but I don't want anything to go wrong.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #147
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hell, my free agency rules are pretty much laughable, so you won't catch me dogging the way someone plays. I have it set so guys have to play 15 years before they become free agents. I prefer to use the reserve clause, but without free agency guys tend to refuse to retire. My next go around I plan to use more traditional free agency. Been debating changing the rules in my current league, but I don't want anything to go wrong.
I can't think of other settings offhand, but mine is a very simple setup, for a very simple guy.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #148
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

One of your favourites Reggie "The Shreveport Slugger" Smith is now second all-time in HR in my league with 513. He's got a long way to go to get to number 1: Frank Robinson had 643. Rocky Colavito is closing in on 500, with 476.

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-02-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #149
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One of your favourites Reggie "The Shreveport Slugger" Smith is now second all-time in HR in my league with 513. He's got a long way to go to get to number 1: Frank Robinson had 643. Rocky Colavito is closing in on 500, with 476.
So cool. I'm still waiting for someone to reach 500. Thinking now that I'm locked into 84 I will get there and beyond. Lots of the late 60's and early 70's cut my home run guys down quite a bit.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #150
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Ridiculous draft class coming in. Headed up by the Big Unit, it includes Harmon Killebrew, Carl Yastrzemski, Willie Randolph, Eppa Rixey, as well as potential player develop system darling (or bust?) Lyman Bostock. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a draft class this good. Whoa!

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-02-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #151
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

My draft was so ordinary the great Mickey Stanley was the number one pick Still no Whitaker in the Hall. 74.8% of the votes. Meanwhile Joe Morgan went in on the first ballot.

I was wrong about the Rookie of the Year. Bill Singer(Toronto Grasshopper) takes it, 14-12 2.07 8.5 WAR. McCovey second, Balboni third.

27 win Fernando Valenzuela didn't win the Cy Young award. Instead Sid Fernadez took the prize 22-9, 1.82 ERA 9.4 WAR.

Dallas beat Cincinnati in 7 games to win the 87 World Series.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #152
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My draft was so ordinary the great Mickey Stanley was the number one pick Still no Whitaker in the Hall. 74.8% of the votes. Meanwhile Joe Morgan went in on the first ballot.

I was wrong about the Rookie of the Year. Bill Singer(Toronto Grasshopper) takes it, 14-12 2.07 8.5 WAR. McCovey second, Balboni third.

27 win Fernando Valenzuela didn't win the Cy Young award. Instead Sid Fernadez took the prize 22-9, 1.82 ERA 9.4 WAR.

Dallas beat Cincinnati in 7 games to win the 87 World Series.
Sorry to hear about your draft luck. It's bound to change and when it does, look out. After all it is random debut.

Well, Joe Morgan is a first-ballot type of HoFer if ever I saw one (broadcasting exploits aside ), and Whitaker's gotta get in next year, doesn't he?

I find I have to constantly change the Rookie of the Year selections. The criteria are no more than 130 AB, 50 IP, or 45 days on the 25-man roster before September 1st entering the rookie season. Since I don't expand the rosters on September 1st, anybody with 1 year and 46 days or more are out. I've seen guys with 2 years and 0 days who the game has wanted to give the award to. I would imagine it's really hard to code, so I won't ask Markus for it, but it's a PITA. I select my own awards anyway so it's not that bad.

Bill Singer huh? He threw the first pitch in Blue Jays history, so way to go Bill! Quite a decent rookie class though. That McCovey kid might have quite the future though.

Sid Fernandez and Fernando Valenzuela were tremendous lefties when I was growing up. El Toro (Valenzuela) was pretty much cooked after age 26, while El Sid seemed to have boundless potential (and a wicked rising fastball) but he was constantly getting hurt, and couldn't live up to it.

The euphoria over my draft could be short lived as I may have to turf Jose Bautista and Duane Ward out of the HoF (Betting on baseball? Who knows?) should they get in. I'll be submitting an empty ballot this year because it looks pretty lame, but there are good classes coming up, so that's good.

That's all for now. I'll bet The Game never expected this thread to go on so long. I hope you're getting something out of it too The Game.

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-02-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #153
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Well...Yaz went first overall to the Cincinnati Reds, followed by Eppa Rixey to the Philadelphia Athletics, then Randy D "Big Unit" Johnson to the White Sox, and Harmon Killebrew to the Cubs. Willie Randolph was the fifth pick and went to the Senators, and Bostock was grabbed with the 15th overall pick by the Cardinals. Four HoFers and a should've been HoFer with the first five picks, and then the wild card Bostock with the 15th overall pick. 1934's gonna be interesting. :rubs hands: Onto the HoF balloting. Steal yourself Jackson. Steal yourself.

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-02-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #154
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Forgot to mention one guy that was in my draft. With the 10th pick of the first round, the Memphis Prowlers selected none other than Garth Iorg. Saw earlier where you said he was one of your favorites.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #155
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

One thing I continue to be stunned by is how many things we are doing the same way. I don't expand rosters in September either.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #156
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Forgot to mention one guy that was in my draft. With the 10th pick of the first round, the Memphis Prowlers selected none other than Garth Iorg. Saw earlier where you said he was one of your favorites.
Used to copy his batting stance all the time (except I was a LHB). His was sort of like Rod Carew's (that's where the similarities ended between the two of them), except that he was a RHB.

Well, nobody made the HoF. Bautista had 68.6% of the vote on his 7th try, while Ward had 60.1% on his 10th (I allow 15 times on the ballot like it used to be pre-steroid era kerfuffle). Bautista still has 8 tries and Ward has 5, so we'll see what happens. I still have 23 HoFers through the 1934 vote.

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-02-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #157
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One thing I continue to be stunned by is how many things we are doing the same way. I don't expand rosters in September either.
Is there any other sport where rosters expand during the regular season? Nope. Just baseball. I don't mind it IRL especially if the Blue Jays are out of it as they often are. It gives you a chance to look to the future in what would otherwise be bleak circumstances, but I think it messes things up in OOTPland. I must confess I did select that by accident though, and then I liked it so much that I didn't change it back.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #158
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Used to copy his batting stance all the time (except I was a LHB). His was sort of like Rod Carew's (that's where the similarities ended between the two of them), except that he was a RHB.

Well, nobody made the HoF. Bautista had 68.6% of the vote on his 7th try, while Ward had 60.1% on his 10th (I allow 15 times on the ballot like it used to be pre-steroid era kerfuffle). Bautista still has 8 tries and Ward has 5, so we'll see what happens. I still have 23 HoFers through the 1934 vote.
My computer crashed and I came back into the game the day before HoF voting. The vote turned out differently. Bautista got 64.0%, while Ward got 61.4%. Same end result: Nobody got in, but I thought it was interesting that it was different.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #159
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wouldn't expect much out of Mr. Iorg. He wasn't much of a player. He was helped a lot by Bobby Cox' system of platooning. Sometimes when you're a kid you just gravitate to certain players, regardless of abilities. I guess it's like you and Aurelio Rodriguez.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:44 PM   #160
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

I don't imagine you're a big fan of them IRL, but you'll want to get behind the Cleveland Indians in my universe David Watts, as well as Detroit of course. The Indians signed Reggie Smith and Lou Whitaker in the offseason to a team that already had Miguel Cabrera, Al S Shaw, Bubbles Hargrave (how can you not root for this guy), and Rocky Colavito. They're projected to score 865 runs, allow 678, and win 103 games and de-throne the Tigers, and I know they've got some of your favourites on there, so I'll be sure to keep you posted. That's what an analysis of the teams on paper says, but they don't play the games on paper do they?...

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-03-2016 at 07:46 PM.