Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2002, 07:54 PM   #1
Kurtis R.
All Star Starter

Post 1st OFBA Awards

The first OFBA awards are now final!!

<a href="http://www.simleagues.com/ofba/" target="_blank">Check it out</a>

Kurtis
OFBA
Old 05-03-2002, 01:03 AM   #2
Aussie Mark
Major Leagues

I'm not sure what you're smoking, but your awards criteria is definitely flawed. You rank Heritage League Baseball in the top 10 (I'm in the HTB sister league so have no axe to grind against Cooley) that is in it's inaugural season, yet Crackerjack (CBL) that is in it's 8th season ("history"), with a great website, lots of activity, and has negligible owner turnover doesn't rank in the top 10.
Old 05-03-2002, 04:26 AM   #3
LivnLegend
Hall Of Famer

Wouldn't worry too much about it Mark. He did point on his front page it is purely his own opinion and apparently to be nominated you have to send him your league info so good leagues may be omitted for not realizing they have to nominate themselves. I regularly stop by all of the OOTP leagues I am aware of and still come across new ones (to me) every week.

With just one person's opinion, the results can differ greatly from what you or I think. For example, Canadian Baseball League probably would not make most OOTP'ers top 10 list but it is #5 on his. Similarly, Crackerjack and Baseball Maelstrom did not make his top ten, serious omissions in my opinion.
[side note, my comment should not taken as a rip on CBL, I have followed that league since it first started and it has improved tremendously over time]
Old 05-03-2002, 11:00 AM   #4
Kurtis R.
All Star Starter

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Aussie Mark:
<strong>I'm not sure what you're smoking, but your awards criteria is definitely flawed. You rank Heritage League Baseball in the top 10 (I'm in the HTB sister league so have no axe to grind against Cooley) that is in it's inaugural season, yet Crackerjack (CBL) that is in it's 8th season ("history"), with a great website, lots of activity, and has negligible owner turnover doesn't rank in the top 10.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well.. if Crackerjack Baseball would have entered their league, maybe they would have ranked up there!!
Old 05-03-2002, 11:05 AM   #5
JWay
Hall Of Famer

Lets give him a break. Its only the first time. Its out there now we can get more leagues entered. And Leagues with history will have a little advantage until they win. But if you have the web site, owners and everything else. I thought it was a good first time
JWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 11:16 AM   #6
Kurtis R.
All Star Starter

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by LivnLegend:
<strong>For example, Canadian Baseball League probably would not make most OOTP'ers top 10 list but it is #5 on his. Similarly, Crackerjack and Baseball Maelstrom did not make his top ten, serious omissions in my opinion.
[side note, my comment should not taken as a rip on CBL, I have followed that league since it first started and it has improved tremendously over time]</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Canadian Baseball League, actually I don't think this is the league you are thinking of... click on the link and you will find out that this is not even an OOTP league... it is a BBpro league.

Like I said in the email I just sent to all the OFBA members... If the commissioners would read their emails.. this would not have occured! EVERY league was sent an email on how to enter their league into the judging!!!

This kind of thing really pisses me off.. guys start shooting their mouth off without knowing what the hell their talking about!!

Enter CBL next time... and DMBL and I will judge it!!
Old 05-03-2002, 11:21 AM   #7
Kurtis R.
All Star Starter

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by JWay:
<strong>Lets give him a break. Its only the first time. Its out there now we can get more leagues entered. And Leagues with history will have a little advantage until they win. But if you have the web site, owners and everything else. I thought it was a good first time</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Shouldn't leagues with history have an advantage? Should a league that just starts up win first place.. and the next year they fold?

Leagues with history show me that they have been around for more than a season and they aren't going to fold tomorrow.

<small>[ 05-03-2002, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: CUBL Commish ]</small>
Old 05-03-2002, 11:24 AM   #8
Crackerjack
Major Leagues

First off thanks for the mention (Mark), Second I did enter our league (CBL).Not sure why you did not get it as my e-mail has it as sent (sent in on a whim, not usually intrested in that stuff)? I did get an email from the OFBA that the voting was complete and to take a look at the final tallies.Third its not a big deal, these league are for fun. The key to a great league is not its site,commish or all the extras..its the owners. The best ones are where the original owners stay with the league, send in lineups, make trades and contribute. Our league has all that. Lastly I think the gentleman that did the OFBA site and voting did a good job. It does take a lot to wreak the jabbing by everyone for not picking their league for any amount of reasons. Kudos!!

Bird

<small>[ 05-03-2002, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Crackerjack ]</small>

Cheers
Bird

WWW.CRACKERJACKBASEBALL.COM
Crackerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 12:36 PM   #9
Kurtis R.
All Star Starter

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Crackerjack:
<strong>First off thanks for the mention (Mark), Second I did enter our league (CBL).Not sure why you did not get it as my e-mail has it as sent (sent in on a whim, not usually intrested in that stuff)?

Bird</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I did recieve an email for you to enter OFBA, but I do not see CBL on the message board to be judged.

Some leagues did not want to be judged... some league just wanted the exposure... or whatever.. that is why I had the leagues that WANTED to be judged, sign up on the message board.

One more thing... every year the judging panel will grow... so every year the scores should get more and more accurate and not based on one persons opinion... they will be averaged out..

thanks
Kurtis
OFBA

<small>[ 05-03-2002, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: CUBL Commish ]</small>
Old 05-03-2002, 04:42 PM   #10
Aussie Mark
Major Leagues

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by CUBL Commish:
<strong>[QUOTE]Well.. if Crackerjack Baseball would have entered their league, maybe they would have ranked up there!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Crackerjack is listed at the site
Old 05-03-2002, 04:49 PM   #11
Aussie Mark
Major Leagues

Sorry for mouthing off. You guys are right, it's not such a big deal, and it's only one person's opinion. I shouldn't post with lots of caffeine in my system :-)
Old 05-03-2002, 05:27 PM   #12
Kurtis R.
All Star Starter

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Aussie Mark:
<strong>Crackerjack is listed at the site</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes Crackerjack is listed at the site, but is it signed up in the message board?
Old 05-05-2002, 10:52 AM   #13
Ragin Cajun
All Star Starter

First off: Thanks to Kurtis for having the brass to even attempt this venture.

Secondly: I've seen Mark (and actually been in a league with him) and know that he does not normally "shoot from the hip". I guess the caffeine levels were really peaking that day.

Anyway, thanks Kurtis for the hard work. The NBSL would like to thank you for finding us worth of the second place award and we will display the 2nd place ribbon proudly on our website. We will also continue to strive for excellence and attain the #1 ranking.

Any feedback Kurtis on how often you will be judging?
Old 05-05-2002, 07:30 PM   #14
Kurtis R.
All Star Starter

Twice a year.. every six months is the planned schedule right now. Next event will be at or near October.

I would do this more often, but it is a lot of work to do this... and I also have my own league that I run.. and it comes first.

thanks
Kurtis