Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
phightin
All Star Reserve

Building through the draft

I'm curious to know if there are any guys out there who have taken approaches with their OOTP franchises similar to that of marlins of the late 90s/early 2000s and the phillies currently in that they were able to build a championship caliber club with a solid nuculus of talent drafted and brought through their farm system. This is something I'm currently working on and had a lot of success in bringing along pitchers but not so much in terms of hitters. But it would be really cool to hear stories if anyone has drafted a core of young talent that was brought up through your farm and went on to win championships for your club.
phightin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phightin View Post
I'm curious to know if there are any guys out there who have taken approaches with their OOTP franchises similar to that of marlins of the late 90s/early 2000s and the phillies currently in that they were able to build a championship caliber club with a solid nuculus of talent drafted and brought through their farm system. This is something I'm currently working on and had a lot of success in bringing along pitchers but not so much in terms of hitters. But it would be really cool to hear stories if anyone has drafted a core of young talent that was brought up through your farm and went on to win championships for your club.
I have the same luck as you. I will get great pitching from my farm system but when it comes to getting good hitters i'm not so lucky. When I play the game I usually take over the worst team and build them into a powerhouse and then once the one team is a powerhouse I will move on to another bad team.

After taking over the worst team I usually get the top pick the next few years so it helps my farm system. Most of the time I use it on pitchers unless there is a hitter I happen to find attractive. For me I build teams around pitching, speed, avg, and hopefully defense. I have found it easier to develop a speedy .300+ hitter rather then developing a 5 tool guy.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
phenom
Hall Of Famer

with scouts on or off?
phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
AndrewG
Major Leagues

Basically reiterating whats been said.

I also like to take bottom feeders and build. I draft good arms and build aroudn them. I am more of a defence kind of guy by nature, since I am an old hockey goalie, but really, it does seem easier to produce good pitchers htan bats in OOTP.

Its not to say I dotn get good bats, its just tougher. What I edn up doing often is trading one of the surplus of good young arms ai have and trade for a good young bat. I dont rip off the other team, I make a deal faIr for both sides. Considering I drafted and cultivasted the pitcher I trade, I consider it still something I did from scratch to a big degree.

For the f***ing life of me though, I can NEVER develop a good catcher internally....
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
For the f***ing life of me though, I can NEVER develop a good catcher internally....
That's odd. My online league has so many catching prospects. I have about four guys in my organization who are under 25 and capable of starting in the majors. And I'm not even trying to draft catchers. I had to try to move some of my catchers to infield positions I was so overstocked.
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
phightin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
That's odd. My online league has so many catching prospects. I have about four guys in my organization who are under 25 and capable of starting in the majors. And I'm not even trying to draft catchers. I had to try to move some of my catchers to infield positions I was so overstocked.
interesting, do you use feeders? I don't so maybe thats why things are more balanced out. I find that as said before pitching prospects are easier to develop and I always have a good amount on hand, especially MR. I think it could be a situation that since minor league numbers are so low and deflated pitching is just easier to come by or who knows. I find that the hitters I do tend to develop are usually first basemen.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
Hazza
Minors (Triple A)

I tried doing that. But my team had such bad scouts I chucked a temper tantrum and took over a large market (but poorly run) team.

I swear I will go back once i've established my dynasty.

"I never said half the things I really said." - Yogi Berra
Hazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
conception
All Star Starter

Quote:

Seems to me to be pretty easy in my league with feeders. I think because the offensive standards are so much lower at the position, I can usually assure myself that if a catcher in the draft is scouted with high ratings, even with the likely error factor involved he will still end up a pretty good hitter for his position. At positions like first base, where the offensive standards are higher, it seems like there is much less room for error because your league average first basemen should still be a darn good hitter, and it's hard to be assured that any of your draftees will turn into that, unless they are near first overall.

My policy is just to draft players that seem good for their position, regardless of their position. I usually try to think a year ahead and make trades that will fill my system with players I envision as the future at their position. Therefore, I really don't ever depend on my draft to provide my future starters, I just depend on getting some kind of talent that will eventually be a tradeable commodity.
conception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #9
Storm
Minors (Triple A)

I'm not somebody who's actually had a ton of success with building through the system, or anything like that, but I have drafted a damn good batter before. He's actually my league's very first 500 home run hitter and he's only thirty-one right now.

I usually look for the guy who has similiar ratings to who my scout is telling me to draft, especially if he's younger, because my scout usually reccomends someone who is going to bust. That's just my experience though.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
Killing Time
All Star Starter

I build mainly from within, but I'll trade or sign players to fill any gaping holes that develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
In my best imitation of KT, "I don't know. Would? May? This could have been better. I'm a bit disappointed."
Please don't beat the dead graphics horse.
Killing Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #11
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I think the real barrier to "building from within" in OOTP is the fact that the AI won't ever trade as intelligently as a real life GM. Most deals that happen in real life that enable teams to be successful rely on the other GM to 1) overvalue a veteran and thus, give up quality prospects for him or 2) firesale deals that result in a bushel of prospects being dealt to the other team or 3) three-team trades which only could happen in OOTP if you are willing to play "god" and intervene a bit (which I do willingly, but I know others don't like because they're afraid they can't trust themselves to be "fair")

But I think the key is to create an entire league that's your creation and to learn it well, know it and then think about ways to realistically create empires. I will intentionally create juggernaut teams that I then have to beat from time to time, because I know the AI won't do it the way a human would.

I realize that's a lot more hands on than some folks want to be, but I think only in a universe like that, can you really test your skills at rebuilding/building a franchise.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:28 AM   #12
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm curious to know if there are any guys out there who...build a championship caliber club with a solid nuculus of talent drafted and brought through their farm system.
Skillful drafting can lift a club out of the cellar, and into the first division. It takes planning and concentration. In two or three consecutive drafts, if you've got a decent spot in the draft order, you can grab a core of four or five players who will turn your club into a winner within a few seasons. I've done it, and built winners in online leagues, against tough competition.

I find that the second-round pick is crucial (my leagues have short drafts, between five and ten rounds). At that point, there are still some gems available, but you have to be prepared.

Neglecting the draft and making lackadaisical picks will net you tragedy.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:14 AM   #13
phightin
All Star Reserve

thanks satchel that's what I was looking for. And as other people said there's ways to trade for prospects obviously as IRL, but I dunno something strikes me as always more fulfilling in building a core you actually draft yourself. I actually did an experiment recently where I drafted my players for the first time based on their OSA potential and not the useless info from my scouting director director. I'll know within a few years how they're doing I think. Also stachel do use feeders? I'm thinking of starting to but I havent yet. Some people love and square by them while others curse them away, I havent added them yet in all my time playing so far.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #14
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post
Skillful drafting can lift a club out of the cellar, and into the first division. It takes planning and concentration. In two or three consecutive drafts, if you've got a decent spot in the draft order, you can grab a core of four or five players who will turn your club into a winner within a few seasons. I've done it, and built winners in online leagues, against tough competition.

I find that the second-round pick is crucial (my leagues have short drafts, between five and ten rounds). At that point, there are still some gems available, but you have to be prepared.

Neglecting the draft and making lackadaisical picks will net you tragedy.
Agreed 100% on the importance of drafting in online leagues. Wise picks at key times can make you a winner, no doubt.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also stachel do use feeders?
I haven't taken the dive and started to use feeders, but all my research and testing has shown that they're a good idea. I plan on putting them in place, but just haven't done it.
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #16
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

I've done it in multiple online leagues but unlike the Marlins, when I do get that core I go out and raise payroll to support those young players with some moderately priced veterans. If your drafted core is really strong enough to build around, that will get you in the playoffs.
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #17
Hazza
Minors (Triple A)

Oh, there is the old draft SPs and trade them away like bars of gold for a good team.

Does that count?

"I never said half the things I really said." - Yogi Berra
Hazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Yeah I go about rebuilds like AndrewG. I usually pick the best available player in round 1 and in the supplemental round. In the remainder of the rounds I pick pitchers and I usually trade a lot of them for hitting specs.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #19
AndrewG
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by conception View Post
Seems to me to be pretty easy in my league with feeders. I think because the offensive standards are so much lower at the position, I can usually assure myself that if a catcher in the draft is scouted with high ratings, even with the likely error factor involved he will still end up a pretty good hitter for his position.
Perhaps I just have too high expectations... I whip all my players with the same leather. (Not to be confused with my wifes whips)
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #20
conception
All Star Starter

Quote:
Perhaps I just have too high expectations... I whip all my players with the same leather. (Not to be confused with my wifes whips)
It also depends on how you rate players in game. If you set it according to all players, then I could understand why it would seem difficult. There aren't going to be many catchers who are five star players in comparison to all players in the league.

Last edited by conception; 10-30-2009 at 08:49 PM.
conception is offline   Reply With Quote