Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Is there any way to get a player to discuss contracts after he's been angered?

While trying to sign a free agent, I offered him slightly too low a contract a few too many times, and now, two months later, after his demands dropped to below what I was offering him, after he sent me a message saying he was ready to come back to the negotiating table, I still can't talk to him about a contract.

I really, really wish the devs could make this an editable box to uncheck, or otherwise make it so that they come back to negotiate faster. Fine if they're starting out angry, and one more bad contract offer will shut them up for good, but at least give me one more chance.

It's so frustrating to watch them sign for less money than I offered, many months after they broke off negotiations. A real agent wouldn't reject offers out of hand.
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
pgjocki
All Star Starter

There are cases though where a guy flat out refuses to deal with a team and Jason Heyward signed with the Cubs for less than what St. Louis offered a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if you aren't talking about FA after the season, i think you'll have enough time for that to reset... not sure how long, but i think he'll re-engage at some point. whether a month to a year? no idea
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
if you aren't talking about FA after the season, i think you'll have enough time for that to reset... not sure how long, but i think he'll re-engage at some point. whether a month to a year? no idea
I am, unfortunately. It's almost mid-February and I can't engage.

Quote:
There are cases though where a guy flat out refuses to deal with a team and Jason Heyward signed with the Cubs for less than what St. Louis offered a few years ago.
There are fringe cases, but it shouldn't be the rule. It should be the exception.
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
fifthorkid
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Play as commissioner and edit it and sign him anyway
fifthorkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
Anyone
Major Leagues

I can think of extreme cases it makes sense, like a pitcher who sent me several messages during the season demanding to be part of the rotation when he was in the bullpen, who I wouldn't put in the rotation. It makes sense that he might be unwilling to talk to me.

But as Torpid says, it should be a rare exception like that.

A player might be disinclined to sign with a team, and to that point it's okay if he signs with another team for an offer lower than he rejected from you. But he should almost always be willing to hear the offer.

It might be given as a combo if rejected, 'I don't especially want to play for your team, and that offer certainly doesn't change my mind." But if you offer someone enough above what he thinks he'll get elsewhere, he should always agree to sign.

His demands should just be higher or lower for specific teams based on if he liked playing on the team if he played there, and during free agent season with those he didn't play for (or didn't recently) the chance of the team winning vs. desire for winner, chance of starting for the team based on who else they have, and proximity to his home town (which that last part is why home town is in the game and is rightfully in there; the importance of that would vary in real life, mattering significantly to some and not at all to others, though I don't know how one would simulate that part).

But there should almost always be some figure a given player should be willing to sign for.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote