Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
MightyQuinn
Minors (Double A)

How many leagues folded due to patches ???

The fact that 3 patches came out within a 2 weeks times really screwed up a player like me being in 7 leagues. Now that all leagues were finally up to date, one totally folded without any warning and now another isnt finishing due to a problem that tech support cant fix.

How many other leagues either folded or restarted due to the patches ???
MightyQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
huston355
Bat Boy

None that I'm aware of. You didn't need to be in seven leagues anyway. Five is more manageable(and that's a stretch for a solid GM) where you can actually be active and not be one of those GM's that just exports enough times to stay in the league.
huston355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
MightyQuinn
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huston355 View Post
None that I'm aware of. You didn't need to be in seven leagues anyway. Five is more manageable(and that's a stretch for a solid GM) where you can actually be active and not be one of those GM's that just exports enough times to stay in the league.
I am very active in all 7, I managed every minor league team also. I did player strategies for ever player in every league I was in. One leagues has 262 players that I had to manage. I won quite a few Minor League Crowns... And I never missed an export...
Old 11-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
kcroyalgm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyQuinn View Post
I am very active in all 7, I managed every minor league team also. I did player strategies for ever player in every league I was in. One leagues has 262 players that I had to manage. I won quite a few Minor League Crowns... And I never missed an export...
Do you eat? Have you ever seen a movie? Are you married?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

To answer the original Q, none that I'm aware of. Most leagues I've ehard of either upgraded without a hitch, or are still using ootp6.5
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
RxDoc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I will not be as optimistic as the above guys.

I know of at least 2 that folded. And 1 upstart that did as well.

I think the incompatibility,Mac issues, the FTP bug and other issues caused alot of quitting and def folded a few and crippled others.
RxDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDoc View Post
I will not be as optimistic as the above guys.

I know of at least 2 that folded. And 1 upstart that did as well.

I think the incompatibility,Mac issues, the FTP bug and other issues caused alot of quitting and def folded a few and crippled others.
Well I cant' speak for anyone else, but my post wasn't meant to have optimism, just observations from my slice of the OOTP online universe.

I am curious as to the health of those leagues beforehand though. The examples that I have the leagues are usually ones that have dated back to at least OOTP6, if not older and only one had spots that weren't instantly fillable by calling up names on the waiting list (although it found folks within 24 48 hours usually.)
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
MightyQuinn
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroyalgm View Post
Oh I eat !!! Dont care for going to the movies, mainly rent from Red box, just saw Aliens vs Monsters & Year One this past week, getting GI Joe this weekend. Not married, engaged.

But being new to OOTP, it doesnt seem like it takes alot of time to take care of a team after a sim. I make my adjustments, sometimes redo all the lineups and depth charts then export, waiting for my next league sim. Some do them daily, others 3-4 times a week.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Of the ones hosted by AllSimBaseball, zero have closed due to patches. We had quite an interesting time figuring out a work-around here and there but no commissioners threw in the towel.

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
RxDoc
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yes let me be another one who backs up Fidel. He was awesome in being on top of the work around etc (as I am on of said commishes he needed to help troubleshoot after patchgate).

Anyone who ever wants to commish and wonders how to or who to get to host look no further then Fidel/allsimbaseball for your site. you won't be sorry!
(Check's in the mail right Fidel? JK )
RxDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
rutri01
All Star Reserve

Ahiba3

We are hosted by Fidel too. He did a great job getting my league started and we are about to start season 2. Without him- I would not been able to start my league and it is really taking off. We just expanded 6 teams for a total of 20. And are full and ready for Spring training.

We were lucky as when the patches came out we were in the playoffs- which took a few weeks to complete. So we held off until the free agent period. i think we got delayed a day or two just to make sure everyone got upgraded. But we had no problems from the patch.
rutri01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You didn't need to be in seven leagues anyway. Five is more manageable....
You know what's best for someone else's life? You nag at a guy for playing in too many online leagues?

Learn two facts: We're grown men, and this is the OOTP "Online Leagues" forum.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
satchel
Hall Of Famer

So, I was just on the forums at NFL.com and I told they guys there to cut down, and only watch one or two games a week.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
huston355
Bat Boy

No Satchel, not what's best for someone's life, what's best for the league that I'm in. You should know as you run a fairly successful league from what I understand! There's a new book out called the The Seven Unsuccessful Habits Of An OOTP GM. I'll summarize so you don't have to read it!

1. Never or seldom votes on anything
2. Not active on the boards-probably can't remember his seven user Id's
3. Never responds to trade inquiries and never makes a trade or even posts on the trading block.
4. When on IM and asked about a player, he responds by "what league"? and then Uh, forgot I was still in that one!
5. Makes his first round draft pick, only to never be heard from again!
6. Continually breaks the rules, but not because he's a cheater, but that he's in so many leagues he can't keep the rules straight.
7. Exports twice, misses once, exports once, misses twice, etc., see the pattern here?
huston355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #15
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Yours is a good post, and I apologize for over-reacting.

I agree that it's possible for a GM to take on too much responsibility, by joining too many leagues, but I don't think that "overburdening" is the source of much low-quality GMing. I don't think that poor management of a team is usually due to any genuine shortage of time, or any other resource (and I include "mental capacity" here as a resource).

When an owner neglects his team, it's not due to a shortage of time, but due to a shortage of commitment. If playing in online OOTP leagues is someone's principal hobby, it would be entirely possible to manage seven teams effectively.

The "Online Leagues" forum is just a dangerous place to disparage involvement in Online leagues, even if it does seem as if someone is overdoing it. Those who are inexperienced, or un-knowledgeable, concerning online leagues, might become intimidated, thinking that running a team in a league (or maybe that running more than one team) is so demanding that they shouldn't try it.

My perception is not that sub-par owners are exerting too much effort, in too many locations, to be effective in any one place: they're simply not exerting enough effort, at any place, to be effective.

If your comments apply specifically to the MightyQuinn, because you have observed this behavior in him firsthand, I add another apology to my first. I missed this, if it's the case. For anyone who "mails it in" to an online league, a word of reprimand is well-due.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #16
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroyalgm View Post
With all due respect to my colleague KCRoyalGM—your sig has evidence of your involvement in five leagues, and you mock the man who has seven?
Old 11-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #17
MightyQuinn
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
No Satchel, not what's best for someone's life, what's best for the league that I'm in. You should know as you run a fairly successful league from what I understand! There's a new book out called the The Seven Unsuccessful Habits Of An OOTP GM. I'll summarize so you don't have to read it!

1. Never or seldom votes on anything
2. Not active on the boards-probably can't remember his seven user Id's
3. Never responds to trade inquiries and never makes a trade or even posts on the trading block.
4. When on IM and asked about a player, he responds by "what league"? and then Uh, forgot I was still in that one!
5. Makes his first round draft pick, only to never be heard from again!
6. Continually breaks the rules, but not because he's a cheater, but that he's in so many leagues he can't keep the rules straight.
7. Exports twice, misses once, exports once, misses twice, etc., see the pattern here?
1. I vote on almost everything
2. Active on boards if I have something to say
3. Always respond to all pm's
4. Always keep my leagues straight
5. Use Utility to make all my draft picks
6. Never break rules.
7. exports all the time
Old 11-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #18
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post

The "Online Leagues" forum is just a dangerous place to disparage involvement in Online leagues, even if it does seem as if someone is overdoing it.
Or starting a thread titled, "How many leagues folded due to a patch."

Not currently an onliner, but future involvement is always a possibility, so take my for just that, perhaps worth little. On the initial reading, I wanted to post that thought, but decided instead that the Manager's Lounge should have a sense of entitlement to candor and freedom to share any and all ideas. But after reading the dialogue, I thought I'd be remiss not to mention my- as an outsider -initial reaction to the thread. It wasn't a draw and bordered on an affront to those working diligently to find reasonable solutions for the few, and I mean few, having real difficulties.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #19
Alan T
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Or starting a thread titled, "How many leagues folded due to a patch."

Not currently an onliner, but future involvement is always a possibility, so take my for just that, perhaps worth little. On the initial reading, I wanted to post that thought, but decided instead that the Manager's Lounge should have a sense of entitlement to candor and freedom to share any and all ideas. But after reading the dialogue, I thought I'd be remiss not to mention my- as an outsider -initial reaction to the thread. It wasn't a draw and bordered on an affront to those working diligently to find reasonable solutions for the few, and I mean few, having real difficulties.

I guess I count as one of those that is trying hard to help people with problems. I personally don't have an issue with this post or thread, but I guess I feel people are free to state their mind as long as it is not in an attacking manner.

I know the majority of the people who had problems that I had been helping , we've sorted them out or got them working as long as they responded and were willing to try a few things. Most of the ones who didn't get fixed were the ones that either never responded back, or didn't respond for days at a time, or were just being a pain.

I do know of a small handful of issues that will need the patch to be fixed, but in all, thankfully I don't think most leagues are even impacted any more by the issues.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #20
MightyQuinn
Minors (Double A)

Well in the one league that has been posting about their problems, got no solution. We had someone else try to continue the league but when they went to do things, they got the problems with their game also...

"Well I just got in there and it crashed and now it's crashing every time I open the league. I give up."

So this league folded due to patch and according to them no help from the OOTPX people "3" games short of finishing the season !!!