Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Suggestions and Feature Wish List > Earlier versions of OOTP: Text Suggestion Forum

Old 12-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
tysok
Hall Of Famer

Game News: 5 Plus hits

Instructions:
Read the information below, and post suggestions for this specific text category!

What is available:
-player name
-the player's team
-the oposing team
-Batting stats for that game

Example:
Steve Link was on fire today. He was a very tough out. The Boston center fielder went 5 for 5 against New York in a fine hitting display. "I got my pitches and I connected. They all found the right holes on the diamond. Some days you hit shots and they are right at somebody...and some days they fall in."

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. (Vince Lombardi)

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. (George S. Patton)
tysok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
jdew
All Star Starter

And a quote-based one for Eugene...

TEAMNAME's PLAYERNAME proved unstoppable today as he knocked X hits against the OPPONENT. The fans were nearly uncontrollable and the noise reached new deafening levels during PLAYERNAME's at-bats as they knew they were watching baseball hitting history unfold. In the clubhouse, crowded by reporters, PLAYERNAME remarked "I never realized that batting a little ball around could cause so much commotion. I now know how Lindbergh must have felt when he returned from St. Louis." When asked what the secret of hitting so well is, PLAYERNAME smiled and replied, "The key to hitting for high average is to relax, concentrate, and don't hit the fly ball to center field."

(Stan "The Man" Musial)
jdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Good one, jdew.

Hope you will write some more.

Did Stan "the Man" Musial say that?
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
jdew
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
Good one, jdew.
Thanks!

Quote:
Hope you will write some more.
There are some more real quotes in other news stories categories. Hope you find them entertaining and something a little different.

Quote:
Did Stan "the Man" Musial say that?
The bit about Lindberg:
Wrigley Field Press Conference May 13, 1958

The bit about not hitting fly balls to CF:
50th Anniversary Hall of Fame Yearbook - 1989
Old 12-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #5
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

jdew, I am amazed by your great baseball knowledge.

Very impressive.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
jdew
All Star Starter

Quote:
jdew, I am amazed by your great baseball knowledge.

Very impressive.
Its just an obsession dating back to a time when the Dodgers played in Brooklyn. I can't remember my phone number, but I can sure tell you baseball stories for days.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

The above items have been forwarded to the Text Team for Evaluation.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:45 PM   #8
redsox45
Hall Of Famer

-- Manny Ramirez touched Yankees pitching for five hits in yesterday's matchup. The Boston leftfielder hit balls all over the park, including 1 HR, 2 2B and 2 singles. Ramirez chipped in 3 RBI as the Red Sox took the game 6-3.

-- Manny Ramirez sparked the Red Sox to a 6-5 win over the New York Yankees yesterday. The 34-year old leftfielder cranked 2 home runs, 2 doubles and 1 single on the day. He also drove in 4.

-- Manny Ramirez gave the New York Yankees a rude awakening in yesterday's Red Sox -- Yankees matchup. The Boston leftfielder smoked five hits against the hapless Yankees. He collected two singles, two doubles and one home run. Ramirez also drove in 5. The Red Sox won 7-3.

-- Manny Ramirez shelled New York pitching yesterday. The 34-year old Ramirez went 5 for 5 with 1 HR and 2 RBI. Ramirez also hit two doubles and two singles.

-- Manny Ramirez of the Boston Red Sox put on a batting clinic against the New York Yankees yesterday. In 7 plate appearances, Ramirez logged 5 hits -- three singles and two home runs. He also drove in 6 RBI on the day. The Red Sox won 9-6.

I am aware that these are 5+ hits. I just wrote these in plain English and without the "tokenology" that they will require.

I'm also leaving in the score for now. These are just suggestions afterall. The text team can either keep it or get rid of it. Hopefully Markus will add the necesary tokens, as score makes the game more lively, but, if he doesn't, then the score can be edited out.

Will

1. Murder of Roger Ackroyd -- Agatha Christie
2. Birds of Prey -- Wilbur Smith
3. King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard
4. Comstock Lode -- Louis L'Amour
5. Andersonville -- McKinley Kantor
redsox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox45 View Post
--

I am aware that these are 5+ hits. I just wrote these in plain English and without the "tokenology" that they will require.

I'm also leaving in the score for now. These are just suggestions afterall. The text team can either keep it or get rid of it. Hopefully Markus will add the necesary tokens, as score makes the game more lively, but, if he doesn't, then the score can be edited out.

Will
Plain English is better, Will.

Thanks for continuing to help out with the Text.

I am hoping we can get tokens to include the score of the game, too.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

The above items have been forwarded to the Text Team for Evaluation.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

We really need about 20 more items for the 5 Plus Hits News Stories.

Come on all you talented writers and show you can do more than just complain about OOTPB.

Make about 50% of them with quotes...or 50% of them with quotes...whichever you prefer...I am not hard to please.

Sorry, I stand corrected...I am hard to please.

Example #1

(quote)
It seemed that Boston center fielder Steve Link could do no wrong against the New York Yankees as he rapped out 5 hits in 5 at-bats. New York pitchers couldn't get him out as Link seemed to know which pitches they were throwing.
"I think the Red Sox were stealing signs." growled one unhappy New York fan.
"I just felt good today. I saw the ball well and just wanted to make good contact and put the ball in play." exclaimed the jubilant Link in the postgame press interview.

Example #2
(quote)

During a player’s career, there are days that stand out, and this day was certainly special! Steve Link went 5 for 5 against the New York Yankees.
"He was patient up there today," the Boston skipper told the press after the game. "I like the way he waited for his pitch and wasn't overly-agressive. Link has a tendency to go after some bad balls sometimes."

Example #3

(quote)

History in the making. That what the fans at Fenway Park got to see today. Steve Link of the Boston Red Sox came to the plate 6 times and came away with a dynamite day as he exploded for 5 hits against the New York Yankees.
In the postgame press conference the New York skipper told reporters, "Hey, we tried to get him out. We threw everything but the kitchen sink against him and he hit it. Maybe next time we'll throw the kitchen sink."

Example #4
(no quote)

If just anyone could go out and hit a baseball, big dollar contracts wouldn't exist. But they can't, so the good hitters get the big bucks. Boston's Steve Link showed how it's done as he went 5 for 6 against the Yankees.
If he keeps hitting like this, he could be headed for a big pay raise.

Example #5

(no quote)

Steve Link exploded for a barrage of base hits today. The Boston center fielder had a field day against the New York Yankees, finishing up with a 5-6 day.

Example #6

(no quote)

Every batter wants to have a quality at bat every time he steps up to the plate. He wants to hit the ball hard. Well, that's just what Steve Link of the Boston Red Sox did against the New York Yankees. He went to the plate 5 times and 5 times he delivered base hits, much to the chagrin of the Yankees pitching staff.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 12-28-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
redsox45
Hall Of Famer

-- Manny Ramirez had an answer for everything the New York Yankees threw him today. The Red Sox leftfielder went 5 for 5 with 7 RBI and 2 HR in the Red Sox 8-3 win.

-- Manny Ramirez spurred the Red Sox offense to a 9-4 victory earlier today. The 29-year old leftfielder went 5-6 with 4 RBI and 2 HR against Rangers pitching.

"I just see the ball and I hit it," Ramirez commented after the game.

-- Boston's Manny Ramirez touched Yankees pitching for 6 hits today. The 29 year old left-fielder took one deep, hit 2 doubles, and two singles. He also picked up four RBI.

-- Manny Ramirez sparked the Red Sox to a 10-7 victory over the New York Yankees earlier today. The 34-year old left fielder went 6-7, picking up 2 HR, 2 doubles, and 2 singles on the day. Ramirez also chipped in 5 RBI.

Will

1. Murder of Roger Ackroyd -- Agatha Christie
2. Birds of Prey -- Wilbur Smith
3. King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard
4. Comstock Lode -- Louis L'Amour
5. Andersonville -- McKinley Kantor
redsox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the good lines, redsox.

I will forward them to the Text Team.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:26 AM   #14
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Do with them what you will . . .

Brewers outfielder Ben Oglivie took a second look at his bat after collecting five hits against the White Sox. "The hits never come that easy for me," he grinned. "I figured I must've grabbed someone else's bat." For the game, Oglivie went 5-for-5 with 2 doubles and 2 runs batted in.

Never satisified. Even though Milwaukee first baseman Cecil Cooper collected 5 hits tonight against the Detroit Tigers, he wanted to talk more about the pitches he did not hit. "I missed a couple of meatballs," he said. "I should've crushed them." Oh, well. He'll just have to settle for 5 hits in 6 at bats, with a double and 3 runs batted in.

"I could've gone up there blindfolded," said Milwaukee's Paul Molitor, "and still gotten a base hit." That's how Molitor described his hitting feat against the Yankees: 5-for-5 with a double, a triple, 2 runs scored, and 4 runs batted in. "It was one of those rare nights," he said. "No matter where I hit the ball, it found a place to fall in."

The Red Sox hope Milwaukee's Robin Yount feels better the next time they see him. Yount was almost a scratch before tonight's game with the flu bug. Instead, he took the field. The result: He went 5-for-6 with a home run and 4 runs batted in. "Maybe I should get sick more often," he joked.

Some nights, pitchers seem unhittable. Other nights, it is the hitter who seems unpitchable. Milwaukee catcher Charlie Moore belonged to the latter category last night. Kansas City had trouble getting him out. Moore went 5-for-5 with a triple, scored twice, and knocked in 3 runs. "With all due respect to the Royals," said Moore, "it was like taking batting practice out there."
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:33 AM   #15
PBL Commish
Minors (Double A)

just a suggestion but say a guy is like less loyal or less desire for a winner or something, idn but whatever you all would assume to be a bad ego and good ego there could be seperate statements.

the ego one might say "its about time you saw how good I was" or "what can i say, he's a horrible pitcher and i'm a great hitterl; this is a result".

and the other one might say "today was just my day. I definetly haven't had many of these in my life" or "I just saw the ball well out of his hand and connected".
PBL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #16
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Well done, pstrickert.

I will forward these to the Text Team.

Thanks for the fine contributions.

Thanks to PBL Commish for the suggestions.