Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:07 AM   #1
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

OOTP on SSD

Do I just have to install the game on my SSD to take advantage of the improved speed? Or do the saved games also have to be on the SSD? I'd guess the latter but I want to make sure.

Also, does anyone know how to change where my saved games are saved? Right now, they are saving to my HDD but I may want to put them on my SSD.

Last edited by Tyler87898; 07-13-2016 at 02:10 AM.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

i have the game on my SSD and my saved games on a regular HD (documents folder), then my backups on an external HD. i just point the game to the HD folder in one of the settings, which i don't have before me right now. Works good. As far as speed .... i don't have any complaints, but really don't know if it all that much faster than it was on my older HDD system.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #3
byzeil
All Star Starter

Putting both on the SSD is probably the biggest win but if you are only going to move one I'd recommend puttig the saved games on the SSD because that is where the majority of the I/O is when writing/reading league files.

To change where your saved games are go to 'game settings' on the opening page, then to Expert and then custom data path.

After you make the change follow the on screen directions.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

before you load the game, edit the custom_folders.ini file in the game's root directory. that way you won't have to load the game, change settings and exit, re-load the game to get it done. after that, you can delete the redundant folders, except for skins and fonts.

the main benefit will be the time saved when loading or saving a league. very little occurs on the storage device once the game is loaded into RAM. while playing, you will see virtually no difference except when auto-saving. however, you're not crazy if you don't want the data folder on your ssd. i'm probably too conservative relative to my ssd use, but i also won't have my ssd die on my while i own this computer or likely the next either.

my ssd is rated for 72tb life - whatever that entails relative to an ssd, some products life estimates are far from accurate. my leagues get quite large because i keep the history. even early on it's a gig or more each time i click save, auto-save occurs or close the game -- sometimes closing immediately after an autosave, lol. thats a gig+ written every single time. no other game i use can pile on 10-20gb of writes in a matter of a short period of one game session (verified through S.M.A.R.T. info). i prefer not to do this.

if you do point the custom data path to the hdd, you can delete the leftover folders from the c:<game>\data\... folders. there's a post in the forums by markus that specifically states which folders must remain: Fonts and Skins... not sure about the misc. files inthe data folder itself, so i just left those.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-13-2016 at 02:23 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

On one computer I run and have run 4-5 versions of OOTP including the executable on an SSD. Almost 4 years and counting with zero issues.

I wish it was a bigger capacity SSD.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Thanks guys. I think I'm just gonna put the saved games on my hard drive if putting them on my SSD wont really help sim speed. I know OOTP 17 is supposed to have much faster sim speeds, but too me there is not really a difference from previous versions (though that is purely anecdotal). Maybe it's cause of my CPU (i5-2500 3.3 GHz).

Last edited by Tyler87898; 07-13-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:39 AM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

the big increases will be seen if you sim a larger amount of time. most people go day-to-day which only in the largest game worlds will be slow enough to notice an improvement.

use the SMART feedback from your drive. crystaldiskinfo is good and free, if i recall. i use 3-4tb a year... so i supposedly have a little less than ~20 years of use. i could easily fit ootp in and still throw what will be a tiny ssd in ~5 years before it dies.

in the end it's just a storage device. nothign is done on the storage device but store. no processing. so, the only advantage is when something is read and written into RAM. you get an improvement in the read speed and that results in an increased write speed, because RAM is not the bottleneck in this equation.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-15-2016 at 01:45 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote