Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #1
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

Rebuilding the Orioles?

Is anyone taking a stab at trying to rebuild this organization? I started a new MLB start and am not doing to bad early on. The Davis contract is obviously brutal. Anyone else giving this a shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Birdland24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

*raises hand*. Yup. I'm starting an Orioles 'chise tomorrow. Excited to try.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
I started one yesterday... Traded or released everyone over 25. Used spare parts from the indy leagues for season 1 cus I wanted a 2nd #1 pick for 2020...lost 120 games in 19 but am playing. 500 in 2020. Adley Rutchman is a beast... He played at Aberdeen, Delmarva and Bowie in his first season. Never hit less than. 360 at any stop. Averaged an Rbi a game. Continued this to start 2020 at Norfolk and forced his way into the bigs already. He's 3 stars already... With a . 285 start with power.. Mountcastle Tanner Scott and Akin have all solidified themselves as centerpieces of the team..
My trading brought in Dakota Hudson, who is now my ace Durbin Feltman, my 2nd most dependable reliever and
Michael Chavis who mans the hot corner and brings nice power. My lone Fa in the first off-season was Xander Boegarts since he was young enough to still be around when I hope to be more competitive. It's been a fun game so far
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbandits View Post
I started one yesterday... Traded or released everyone over 25. Used spare parts from the indy leagues for season 1 cus I wanted a 2nd #1 pick for 2020...lost 120 games in 19 but am playing. 500 in 2020. Adley Rutchman is a beast... He played at Aberdeen, Delmarva and Bowie in his first season. Never hit less than. 360 at any stop. Averaged an Rbi a game. Continued this to start 2020 at Norfolk and forced his way into the bigs already. He's 3 stars already... With a . 285 start with power.. Mountcastle Tanner Scott and Akin have all solidified themselves as centerpieces of the team..
My trading brought in Dakota Hudson, who is now my ace Durbin Feltman, my 2nd most dependable reliever and
Michael Chavis who mans the hot corner and brings nice power. My lone Fa in the first off-season was Xander Boegarts since he was young enough to still be around when I hope to be more competitive. It's been a fun game so far

This sounds pretty fun. Releasing the players didn’t cut into your available money?
What did you set your scouting budget at? I’m always torn how that really helps in the game and development.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

And if you don’t mind me asking... How do you personally scout the draft and decide what player you want to take?

Old 06-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
qcbandits
Banned

I took Rutchman because I knew he is a beast in RL and wanted to see how he'd do in OOTP. as i said, he's blown all my hopes out of the water... I was thinking 2021 maybe a Sept callup, he had different plans tho...its hard to say no when I got a fantastic offer for Sisco and he was hitting over .425 at Norfolk... my other picks, i've looked for guys with multiple tools, I have taken more high floor college guys than high risk HS kids just cus I wanted to fast forward the rebuild with guys that will fly up the system. I do look for at least one HS kid in the top 5 rounds, even if he's an impossible sign.. and then toss an armored truck at him to get him to sign for the overall longterm health of my team... then for the J2 guys... I'm not splitting my 5 mill up over a couple guys.. I find one top guy I want and throw the entire 5 mill at him
Old 06-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdland24 View Post
This sounds pretty fun. Releasing the players didn’t cut into your available money?
What did you set your scouting budget at? I’m always torn how that really helps in the game and development.

oh my finances sucked the first season...Chris Davis was one of only 2 cuts... I was able to find deals for most everyone... even if it was a backup catcher on someone's DSL team lol... well not really but you get the idea. I made up for the lost money by using indy guys to fill in some holes.Big Z, Carlos Zambrano was a long reliever and backup DH during the 2019 season LOL
Old 06-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #8
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I took Rutchman because I knew he is a beast in RL and wanted to see how he'd do in OOTP. as i said, he's blown all my hopes out of the water... I was thinking 2021 maybe a Sept callup, he had different plans tho...its hard to say no when I got a fantastic offer for Sisco and he was hitting over .425 at Norfolk... my other picks, i've looked for guys with multiple tools, I have taken more high floor college guys than high risk HS kids just cus I wanted to fast forward the rebuild with guys that will fly up the system. I do look for at least one HS kid in the top 5 rounds, even if he's an impossible sign.. and then toss an armored truck at him to get him to sign for the overall longterm health of my team... then for the J2 guys... I'm not splitting my 5 mill up over a couple guys.. I find one top guy I want and throw the entire 5 mill at him

Do you use the stars or 20/80 ratings? I struggle with keeping track of everyone in my system. I shortlist my top pitcher and position prospects. I’m gonna trade away Mullins, Givens, Mancini and hopefully Trumbo and Cobb. Mancini is killing right now in the first month and a half. What I’m trying to learn before I get to draft is how to draft well and learn to keep track of most guys in my system.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #9
qcbandits
Banned

I follow the draft in RL closely... I have a paid subscription to Baseball America and everything so most of mine is RL knowledge then just looking at their ratings. When I look at the ratings I am looking for guys that may not be as high a ratings as some other guys... Like let's say I'm looking at hitters, if one guy has a 60 max potential power and a current 30 power and another guy is 50 potential and 40 current, I will usually take the second guy. He wont have the potential of the first but is more likely not to fizzle out. I do take my risks in the draft, but out of 40 picks.. I'd rather have 20 to 25 guys that can be decent to above average players 10 to 15 guys that are at the end of the draft and just complete lottery tickets and 5 or so well chosen guys here and there that are huge upside guys, at least one will be in the top 5 rounds and be a hard to impossible sign as long as my owner is allowing me a good enough budget to throw a 8-10 million dollar signing bonus at the kid to get him not to go to college.

Trumbo, and Cobb i had to settle on trades just to get rid of their salary.

Givens, Mancini, Sisco and Nunez were the guys I killed it on

Mullins was lost on waivers because no one would trade for him and i needed his roster spot for someone else.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:32 PM   #10
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I follow the draft in RL closely... I have a paid subscription to Baseball America and everything so most of mine is RL knowledge then just looking at their ratings. When I look at the ratings I am looking for guys that may not be as high a ratings as some other guys... Like let's say I'm looking at hitters, if one guy has a 60 max potential power and a current 30 power and another guy is 50 potential and 40 current, I will usually take the second guy. He wont have the potential of the first but is more likely not to fizzle out. I do take my risks in the draft, but out of 40 picks.. I'd rather have 20 to 25 guys that can be decent to above average players 10 to 15 guys that are at the end of the draft and just complete lottery tickets and 5 or so well chosen guys here and there that are huge upside guys, at least one will be in the top 5 rounds and be a hard to impossible sign as long as my owner is allowing me a good enough budget to throw a 8-10 million dollar signing bonus at the kid to get him not to go to college.

Trumbo, and Cobb i had to settle on trades just to get rid of their salary.

Givens, Mancini, Sisco and Nunez were the guys I killed it on

Mullins was lost on waivers because no one would trade for him and i needed his roster spot for someone else.

I’m at May 19th I’m 16-31 lost like my last 12 in a row.
Trumbo still has 2-3 weeks left on IL
Cobb has been a waste
I shopped Mullins almost pulled the trigger on him for Kinergy but that salary to end the contract sucks but he’s smoking this year batting .322 with a .400 OBP

Old 06-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #11
qcbandits
Banned

lol That's exactly who i needed the roster spot for. I have him in a super utility role and he's doing fairly well for me. I didn't worry about the contract because I will still have so many guys that are cost controlled at that point that it wont matter
Old 06-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #12
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
lol That's exactly who i needed the roster spot for. I have him in a super utility role and he's doing fairly well for me. I didn't worry about the contract because I will still have so many guys that are cost controlled at that point that it wont matter

I might make that deal tonight. I’m gonna get me 12 miller lite and draft away tonight.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #13
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
I might make that deal tonight. I’m gonna get me 12 miller lite and draft away tonight.

If you want, i can list my fav picks I got in the 2019 draft... doesn't mean they will develop the same for you... but i will share it with you if you want
Old 06-09-2019, 06:03 PM   #14
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
If you want, i can list my fav picks I got in the 2019 draft... doesn't mean they will develop the same for you... but i will share it with you if you want

That would be appreciated. I’m definitely going Adley 1.1 maybe If it’s not to much trouble some mid to later round guys that I can target?

Old 06-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #15
qcbandits
Banned

Fast movers have been
1b Tristen English (2-way player)
LH SP John Doxakis
RH SP Matt Canterino
RH SP Zach Linginfelter (Using as a reliever)
CF John Rave
SS Tanner Morris
RH RP Parker Caracci
Old 06-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #16
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Fast movers have been
1b Tristen English (2-way player)
LH SP John Doxakis
RH SP Matt Canterino
RH SP Zach Linginfelter (Using as a reliever)
CF John Rave
SS Tanner Morris
RH RP Parker Caracci

Ok I’ll shortlist them. Hopefully will be able to grab them from round 3 on...
I’m going with what the O’s did in Adley 1 and Gunner 2

Old 06-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #17
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Ok I’ll shortlist them. Hopefully will be able to grab them from round 3 on...
I’m going with what the O’s did in Adley 1 and Gunner 2

I tried to get the HS OF'er the Dbacks got out the Pac NW as my 2nd pick. He'd been a steal but he was an impossible sign and said no to 9.5 mill and went to college
Old 06-09-2019, 06:33 PM   #18
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

That will p—-s me off if I draft someone that high and don’t sign him.
Can you explain to me how this slot stuff works?
Like for example Adley is demanding slot but Witt Jr demands $6,000,000
Why is Witt so expensive and how do I go about this to best suit me? Any idea how much I’ll be able to spend in the draft?

Old 06-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #19
qcbandits
Banned

The draft in Ootp isn't as strict as in real life. Your owner will tell you what you have available. I've never not had enough money to get the players I want.. I usually walk away from the draft with at least one overpay on someone that says they're going to college. I took 3 chances that first year because I was trying to Jumpstart the farm system. One signed.. Two didn't. But I got 2 extra draft picks in the top 2 rounds because of it in 2020 and was able to get one of the guys that turned me down the year before haha.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #20
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
The draft in Ootp isn't as strict as in real life. Your owner will tell you what you have available. I've never not had enough money to get the players I want.. I usually walk away from the draft with at least one overpay on someone that says they're going to college. I took 3 chances that first year because I was trying to Jumpstart the farm system. One signed.. Two didn't. But I got 2 extra draft picks in the top 2 rounds because of it in 2020 and was able to get one of the guys that turned me down the year before haha.

I just traded Bleier for Stevenson 24 y/o prospect with Nats. Broxton out for 6 weeks