Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
Rayzor
All Star Starter

Old The Hockey News front page

Found this & thought I share, bring back a lot of memories when the Hockey News was a newspaper. I bet JeffR has them all.

http://betweentheposts.ca/2015/11/wh...hinking-of-it/
Rayzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
skunt3m
Minors (Single A)

There's a guy on HFBoards who owns every issue. I think it might even be the same Habsfan18 that posts here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...hotos.2404781/

It's a shame that the Hockey News doesn't have a proper online archive.
skunt3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Rayzor
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunt3m View Post
There's a guy on HFBoards who owns every issue. I think it might even be the same Habsfan18 that posts here: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...hotos.2404781/

Yes, it would be great if they did.........I have The Hockey News subscription for my table but it's not the same as having the old newspaper style in your hands
Old 10-07-2018, 11:39 PM   #4
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
Yes, it would be great if they did.........I have The Hockey News subscription for my table but it's not the same as having the old newspaper style in your hands

During the 1990s, THN was my only source for NHL news and info and only when i was lucky enough to grab a copy in the only shop selling it in Vienna - no satellite TV or Internet streams over here back in the day, lol

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:39 AM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Found this & thought I share, bring back a lot of memories when the Hockey News was a newspaper. I bet JeffR has them all.

http://betweentheposts.ca/2015/11/wh...hinking-of-it/
Nah, those are all before my collection starts. My first THN was May 11, 1979, with Guy Lafleur on the cover and "Cherry-Sinden Rift Brewing" as one of the headlines. And an ad on page 25, taken out by the WHA, that looks like something from the turn of the century, pointing out that "Many of the BRIGHTEST YOUNG STARS in Hockey are thrilling fans in WHA ARENAS, including WAYNE GRETZKY Scoring Ace of the Edmonton Oilers."
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

My first Hockey News bought was from 1971.

I think The Sporting News started publishing NHL box scores during the 1968-69 season.

I haven't looked but can earlier THN issues be found on ebay at a reasonable price?
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunt3m View Post

That is me indeed.

My collection was featured in an article of THN a few years back - Toews and Kane cover. I own every single issue (1947-1948 to present day) as well as over 600 hockey books with some other hockey mags thrown in. It all equals up to over 3,400 items and counting.

My book signatures include Gordie Howe, Jean Beliveau, Wayne Gretzky, Ken Dryden, Eric Lindros, Gump Worsley, Frank Boucher, Denis Potvin, Bill Gadsby, Larry Robinson, Paul Henderson, Don Cherry, Chris Nilan, Lou Nanne, Eddie Shack and Howie Meeker.

I’m an avid collector and student of the history of hockey. Thankfully I have a very understanding wife who lets me have two rooms in the basement dedicated to collection.

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #8
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
That is me indeed.

My collection was featured in an article of THN a few years back - Toews and Kane cover. I own every single issue (1947-1948 to present day) as well as over 600 hockey books with some other hockey mags thrown in. It all equals up to over 3,400 items and counting.

My book signatures include Gordie Howe, Jean Beliveau, Wayne Gretzky, Ken Dryden, Eric Lindros, Gump Worsley, Frank Boucher, Denis Potvin, Bill Gadsby, Larry Robinson, Paul Henderson, Don Cherry, Chris Nilan, Lou Nanne, Eddie Shack and Howie Meeker.

I’m an avid collector and student of the history of hockey. Thankfully I have a very understanding wife who lets me have two rooms in the basement dedicated to collection.

Is there any chance to see some photos of your collection ??

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Old 10-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
Rayzor
All Star Starter

Quote:
That is me indeed.

I have Ken Dryden book "The Game" he autograph for me back in 1983 when he was a Cole's Bookstore in Kingston.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #10
Rayzor
All Star Starter

I would love to know the story from The Hockey News edition from September 1975 article title "NHL, WHA struggle over Orr" what WHA team was going after Orr? & what was the dollar amount the offered him? Was it more then what the WHA offer Bobby Hull to sign?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Did THN always print the various league schedules?

I would love too see AHL/WHL/CPHL schedules from the 1960's.

I had a 30(or so) straight year collection of The Sporting News starting in 1967 and about that time with NHL expansion they increased their coverage of hockey and once in awhile would have a hockey player on the cover.

My favorite THN magazine was Hockey Pictorial.

My favorite overall hockey magazine was Hockey Illustrated(I have a lot dating back to the late 1960s). Each issue had a color centerfold and at one time they had AHL and WHL articles.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #12
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
Is there any chance to see some photos of your collection ??
If you use facebook at all, take a look at the HF Boards link that was posted. It links to my facebook group which contains albums and photos of everything in my collection. If you don’t use facebook I can see about posting a few pictures here.

Quote:
I have Ken Dryden book "The Game" he autograph for me back in 1983 when he was a Cole's Bookstore in Kingston.
Very cool! That must have been an awesome experience.

I had a friend of mine gift me a signed copy of “The Game” that was a part of former St. Louis Blues GM (and former Habs assistant GM and scout) Ron Caron’s personal collection. Ken Dryden personally signed it out to Ron. My friend won it in an auction and knew I was a big collector so he past it on to me along with a signed copy of Eric Lindros biography “Fire On Ice” that was also personally signed out to Mr. Caron.

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester

Last edited by Habsfan18; 10-08-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #13
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is me indeed.

What do you have on the WHA?

I recently bought a book from Amazon that has all the yearly WHA Media Guides. I think is was 30 dollars US.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #14
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would love to know the story from The Hockey News edition from September 1975 article title "NHL, WHA struggle over Orr" what WHA team was going after Orr? & what was the dollar amount the offered him? Was it more then what the WHA offer Bobby Hull to sign?
I can take a look at that specific issue later in the day and see what exactly was said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
What do you have on the WHA?

I recently bought a book from Amazon that has all the yearly WHA Media Guides. I think is was 30 dollars US.
I have it as well. Very nicely done. Was put out by the WHA HOF.

I have:

Rebel League: The Short and Unruly Life of the World Hockey Association

Same Game, Different Name: The History of the World Hockey Association

Big Bucks & Blue Pucks: From Hull to Gretzky, an anecdotal history of the late, great World Hockey Association

The Complete World Hockey Association, 9e

The World Hockey Association Hall Of Fame: A Photographic History of the Rebel League

1972-1979 WHA Media Guides

WHA Gameday: 1972-1979 Game Program Stories from the archives of the WHa HOF

I also own a few DVD’s and of course the complete run of THN from that era.

I also own a neat framed lapel pin set that features logos of every WHA franchise.

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Old 10-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #15
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Anything concerning the Baltimore Blades-lasted half a season;Ottawa Civics- handful of game and Miami Screaming Eagles-never played a game?
Old 10-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #16
Rayzor
All Star Starter

Quote:
I can take a look at that specific issue later in the day and see what exactly was said.

I have it as well. Very nicely done. Was put out by the WHA HOF.

I have:

Rebel League: The Short and Unruly Life of the World Hockey Association

Same Game, Different Name: The History of the World Hockey Association

Big Bucks & Blue Pucks: From Hull to Gretzky, an anecdotal history of the late, great World Hockey Association

The Complete World Hockey Association, 9e

The World Hockey Association Hall Of Fame: A Photographic History of the Rebel League

1972-1979 WHA Media Guides

WHA Gameday: 1972-1979 Game Program Stories from the archives of the WHa HOF

I also own a few DVD’s and of course the complete run of THN from that era.

I also own a neat framed lapel pin set that features logos of every WHA franchise.
Rebel League: The Short and Unruly Life of the World Hockey Association - A great read, one of my fav WHA book.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #17
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I remember reading THN in the '60's you guys are bringing back good memories. Reading every word in every issue I could get a hold of, most times more than once......
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #18
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

I remember watching the Toronto Toros on Global TV. I live in SE Michigan and that's one of the benefits of living close to Canada

I can remember opening night 1972 and CBC showed Alberta Oiler game.

I also recall a late season early morning game on CBC Ottawa at Los Angeles with over 11,000 in attendance at the LA Sports Arena.

CBS showed a few games but nothing to write home about.

I seen Michigan Stags vs Phoenix Roadrunners at Cobo Arena Detroit (12-31-74) a 1-1 OT tie with ex-Wing Gerry Odrowski getting Phoenix lone goal.

I used to listen to Cincinnati Stingers games on the radio(WLW-Cincinnati) with Andy McWilliams doing the play-by-play.

There was a game on youtube (audio only) of a Toros game against the short-lived Baltimore Blades.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #19
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
If you use facebook at all, take a look at the HF Boards link that was posted. It links to my facebook group which contains albums and photos of everything in my collection. If you don’t use facebook I can see about posting a few pictures here.

The link to your FB group is dead - any update?

is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Old 10-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #20
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
The link to your FB group is dead - any update?
It should definitely work. I’m updating it almost daily. When you click on the link it just asks you to log into facebook. I believe you have to be logged in to view the page. Are you clicking on the link on mobile or a web browser?

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester