Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:47 PM   #1
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Player Ratings, Player Creation, and the Development Engine

Oops, nevermind. Can a mod delete this?

Last edited by OldFatGuy; 06-25-2019 at 10:50 PM.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:59 PM   #2
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

But it's such an intriguing title.
I really wanted to know where this was headed.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
But it's such an intriguing title.
I really wanted to know where this was headed.
Well I wanted to see if there was any consensus here (consensus on the internets???? what was I thinking..) about how all those things should work together. I've got my view, and I had some "data" to show OOTP isn't doing that (again, in my view) but after I posted this I went into my spreadsheet to take a screenshot and show that but my file is... missing!

I don't know what the heck is going on. I don't remember deleting it or moving it, but I certainly can't find it.

But the overall question is one of how these work together and SHOULD work together.

For example, every version OOTP releases that year's opening day rosters, and if I'm not mistaken, those ratings are done "by hand" somehow. I.E. instead of being generated by OOTP, they are edited by someone.

And it's my contention/belief/worry that either these ratings are in general inflated OR the player creation/development engine isn't doing what it should be doing.

In my view, unless one argues that these past few opening day rosters in Major League Baseball are special in some sort of way as opposed to just being your typical, about average 40 man rosters (in terms of overall talent as I'm talking here about the basics, STUFF, MVT, and CONT for pitchers and the 5 basics for hitters... well just simply add up the ratings of every player, pitchers and hitters obviously separate, on all the 40 man rosters and this gives you a "total" of the talent in MLB); then if you sim out 30 years and have gotten an entire MLB with just generated players, then the overall talent, in my view, should be similar to what it was for the opening day rosters.

Put another way, is the player creation/development engine developing a universe where the talent level is similar to what is the actual MLB universe? In my view it should. Unless of course you make changes to those values in the league settings. But it seems to me that if you diligently put in the work of putting in the ratings of every year's opening day 40 many rosters as if to suggest this is where the talent level is in MLB, then the player creation/development engine should be generating MLB universes with roughly that overall level of talent.

Is that how others see it or not?

Last edited by OldFatGuy; 06-26-2019 at 06:29 PM.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote