Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 02-22-2020, 12:42 AM   #1
ecd1973
Major Leagues

Recap text

Pre ordered as always. Can't wait for March 17!

Any chance of expanded recap text after games? Specifically injury text? Would love to see a blurb mentioning injuries from each game.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Yes, I would like to see some improvement - not that it's bad now, but it could be better - in the game recaps and news articles picking up on such things as in-game injuries, milestones, and off-field events.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

I just hope some time was spent on improving the game recaps in OOTP21.

Markus, if you need some help writing them, I would be happy to help out... I would be glad to look at them in detail and make suggestions for improving the token construction and text.

One thing for sure, I could write enough of them to keep them from being repeated so often.
I could also edit the current library and get rid of some of the adjectives that rate a performance far higher than the actual event... I learned years ago in 2006 on the Beta Team News Team, not to use many adjectives unless they were controlled by conditions to limit their use... otherwise you get a News Stories that says Joe Smith had a terrific year at the plate with a .275 batting average...I also see similar things in the previous versions' game recaps... where it says the Player of the Game pitched a fantastic game, only giving up four runs in six innings.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 02-22-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
I just hope some time was spent on improving the game recaps in OOTP21.

Markus, if you need some help writing them, I would be happy to help out... I would be glad to look at them in detail and make suggestions for improving the token construction and text.

One thing for sure, I could write enough of them to keep them from being repeated so often.
I could also edit the current library and get rid of some of the adjectives that rate a performance far higher than the actual event... I learned years ago in 2006 on the Beta Team News Team, not to use many adjectives unless they were controlled by conditions to limit their use... otherwise you get a News Stories that says Joe Smith had a terrific year at the plate with a .275 batting average...I also see similar things in the previous versions' game recaps... where it says the Player of the Game pitched a fantastic game, only giving up four runs in six innings.
Developers, please take him up on his offer!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #5
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Also, as I have said many times before, it would be nice to be able to edit the player chosen as player of the game. The computer can default to one, but the option to also choose one would be nice for scenarios that make sense outside of the box score (walk offs, etc.)

Been playing since OOTP '08

Avatar is a picture of me drawn by one of my students a few years ago

(My real name is not Rosco, nor do I live anywhere near Peabody)
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Food for thought:

1. If you see an adjective that doesn't fit, report it here (since there's probably a quick fix): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=299984

2. If you think the wrong person was chosen as player of the game, describe the problem in detail here (and Matt, who created the algorithm, will look into it): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...lay.php?f=3961

3. If you have suggestions for extra events to include in the recaps, feel free to post them here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...lay.php?f=3866 Please note that I have already submitted a list of items to Matt, including injuries. He said none of them would be easy to add, but he'd think about it.

4. The recap database contains over 2000 entries. Entries in the most common categories number in the hundreds. When a recap draws from three or four different categories, the potential exists to create millions of different recap stories. The language is often similar, of course, because the same general event is often being described. Perhaps we could add a bit more "color" if we had more conditions. But, as it stands, most of the database entries already contain 8 or 10 or more conditions. Have we reached the point of diminishing returns?
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:52 PM   #7
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
Also, as I have said many times before, it would be nice to be able to edit the player chosen as player of the game. The computer can default to one, but the option to also choose one would be nice for scenarios that make sense outside of the box score (walk offs, etc.)
Or better yet, get rid of listing a player of the game in the box score because, I don't know, it's not done in real life. Then allow the recap to highlight the biggest impact on the game. Sometimes it's the guy who went 4-for-4 or the pitcher who struck out 14. Other times it's the pinch hitter who drove in the winning run or the backup catcher who hit the walk-off homer.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

A bigger space for Recap would be nice. But I just gave up trying to print out the boxscores and Game log because it is just so difficult to get it so it will fit an 8 x 11 sheet of paper. : (

Don't forget to try PStrickert's great 1959 World Series Quickstart Mod for V12 & V11 !! At Padresfan's site.
skunkle333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Food for thought:

1. If you see an adjective that doesn't fit, report it here (since there's probably a quick fix): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=299984

2. If you think the wrong person was chosen as player of the game, describe the problem in detail here (and Matt, who created the algorithm, will look into it): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...lay.php?f=3961

3. If you have suggestions for extra events to include in the recaps, feel free to post them here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...lay.php?f=3866 Please note that I have already submitted a list of items to Matt, including injuries. He said none of them would be easy to add, but he'd think about it.

4. The recap database contains over 2000 entries. Entries in the most common categories number in the hundreds. When a recap draws from three or four different categories, the potential exists to create millions of different recap stories. The language is often similar, of course, because the same general event is often being described. Perhaps we could add a bit more "color" if we had more conditions. But, as it stands, most of the database entries already contain 8 or 10 or more conditions. Have we reached the point of diminishing returns?
pstrickert, thanks for the thorough explanation of the game recap process... it's good to know that you are involved in the game recaps... I know you will do everything you can do to make it as good as possible... you are one of the most dedicated and hardworking Beta Team members I ever worked with... you are also very skilled at your duties and responsibilities... much appreciate you and your hard work.

I write my own game recaps, but I will make a point to check the ones written by the game and report the P.O.T.G picks that should be adjusted.

I will also report any adjectives that need to be changed to best fit the game performance.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:18 PM   #10
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Question for pstrickert:

Could my problem with redundancy in my game be due to the fact that the game picks up at the same point in each category every time I load up the game... rather than pick up where it left off when I closed the game?

Does the game rotate the items in each category?
Or does it begin at the same point each time you open the game?

It seems I see the same opening day news stories at the beginning of each season... it never changes... same thing with Awards winners.

I know there are lots of items in those categories because I wrote many of the them... but they don't seem to rotate in usage.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #11
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Hmm. It should choose randomly. I can only suggest posting a bug report. Matt will have to check it out. In the meantime, I'll pay closer attention. And if you see a duplicate news item, post a screenshot. I can check to see if by chance it's not conditioned properly.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:07 PM   #12
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Hmm. It should choose randomly. I can only suggest posting a bug report. Matt will have to check it out. In the meantime, I'll pay closer attention. And if you see a duplicate news item, post a screenshot. I can check to see if by chance it's not conditioned properly.
I will follow up on your suggestions and report my findings.
Thanks for your replies.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #13
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

Is there anyway to get a printout of the boxscore/game log with black lettering etc on a white background instead of the white lettering on a dark brown background.

The way it works with the white lettering on dark brown background just takes up way too much ink.

Don't forget to try PStrickert's great 1959 World Series Quickstart Mod for V12 & V11 !! At Padresfan's site.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:28 PM   #14
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

I'm able to print the box score if I choose "Open with Browser" and then use the browser's print option. Before I print, though, I choose to print in "black and white" instead of "color." The background is white, the text black. (I'm using the classic skin, by the way.)
Old 03-28-2020, 10:43 PM   #15
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

Mercy...I think you have told me that before...

I forgot all about that. Or I just couldn't get it to work.

Anyway...thanks again Pstrickert....I'll give it a try !!!

Old 03-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #16
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

No problem, Jack. Stay safe.