Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 09-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #61
Romagoth
Major Leagues

Seems a little strange to me how many are willing to take an inferior online mode over nothing at all. Isn't it worth the wait to get it right?

Maybe it's just me though.
Romagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #62
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romagoth View Post
Seems a little strange to me how many are willing to take an inferior online mode over nothing at all. Isn't it worth the wait to get it right?

We did this error in the past and will not do it again. We don´t have a big team or a big Publisher with unlimited money, so we have to plan our resources carefully. We often wrote how our main focus is on the modern game, day to day play and with the NHL license it is even more important. For the foreseeable future we will go with this plan until we like what we have and then move on to other things.

When the release is over we will sit down with our Researchers and think about possible ways how Online Leagues could be added in later versions. But we will not promise anything.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #63
slugger922cubs
Major Leagues

Really Excited. For the new version. Was hoping online leagues would be playable in FHM3 but as someone who tried to run a FHM 2 league they were almost unplayable and the market for them seem limited. Focus on making the best core game possible then branch out from there. Cant wait for hockey to start and to play the new version.
slugger922cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #64
Empach
Minors (Double A)

Pretty cool to get the actual NHL license. Very happy to hear you've spent more time on the core modern game. I'll definitely be pre-ordering.

I am curious is the "All-New 'Path To Glory' Mode" just the standard modern game, or is it a separate mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
getting the NHL license is a big step for us and a great chance for us to get more people to play Hockey Manager games. It is a long term deal, we are commited to the game and will continue to work on it every day.
That is very good to hear.
Empach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #65
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empach View Post
I am curious is the "All-New 'Path To Glory' Mode" just the standard modern game, or is it a separate mode?
It is basically the modern mode (you can play Path to Glory with a fictional or historical game as well, but it makes the most sense with the big world modern game) but focused on your career. There are no fast-sim options, no commish mode, a very strict game flow. We want you to really dive into the world and your (and other) leagues. We added many news and PM´s, yo you see what is going on in the world, streaks, milestones, great game performances, awards, etc. Basically your goal is to start with an unproven Coach/GM, gain experience over time, improve your skills, get more popular, maybe get to coach a national team and ultimately enter the Hall of Fame at the end.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #66
benspit
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Really excited about the release!! I enjoyed 80% of FHM2...there were some gameplay restrictions (like the limit on players during the off & pre seasons & the player morale system) that were a bit annoying but I'm hoping with the time, money & experience you've put into this version, those issues will be resolved!

Will be pre-ordering the Steam key version shortly.
benspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:45 PM   #67
seven
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Sorry, we had to remove online league functionality. It is not clear if and when we are able to offer saves that are compatible from version to version. It makes no sense to offer online leagues until we have such feature. So if online leagues are the only reason for you to buy the game, please don't.

This year, with the NHL license, we fully concentrated on the modern, real world game and immersion.
I completely agree. This is a very important next step for this franchise.
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:25 PM   #68
highheat42
Minors (Double A)

Fun times.

Last edited by highheat42; 09-23-2016 at 11:38 PM.
highheat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:45 PM   #69
HockeyHippie
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Completely understand your sentiments, just remember that this developer is fantastic with updates/communication/adding features. If he says it will be added as soon as possible, then you can bet it will be a part of FHM at some point. It will be worth the wait.
Yup, I've been an OOTP fanboy and supporter for over a decade, so I'm not worried. My only issue was the timing, not the decision.

It was like being all dressed up and ready to party only to see your girlfriend was going with your best friend, haha. Total kick in the crotch .
Old 09-23-2016, 11:50 PM   #70
SR002
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I also can't really purchase either though I'd like to. It's more fun playing with 29 other people than a better game alone and our league is too involved for me to do both.
SR002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:52 AM   #71
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

I'm kind of glad I had no interest in online anyway, so all the disappointment about it not being there doesn't affect me. However I still hold out hope that some necessary improvements will fall into fictional in the future. Particularly things that could apply to modern games as well like divisional re-alignment or changing the schedule length. Or being able to add farm teams when you expand.

But in the meantime, the NHL license and all the improvements are worth it. It's the building blocks for what we all want in the future. So I'm not too concerned, I know things are trending in the right direction.
Lord PichuPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:55 AM   #72
P.Lehtonen#23
Bat Boy

Quote:
Sorry, we had to remove online league functionality. It is not clear if and when we are able to offer saves that are compatible from version to version. It makes no sense to offer online leagues until we have such feature. So if online leagues are the only reason for you to buy the game, please don't.

This year, with the NHL license, we fully concentrated on the modern, real world game and immersion.
I don't understand this at all. If you're not able to offer compatible saves then why don't you just keep the online feature and let the gamers decide which version they want to use, seems a strange reason to remove it...

How can you have a game without online play?? It's like releasing a new mobile phone without internet connection. Really bad decision.

Last edited by P.Lehtonen#23; 09-24-2016 at 04:03 AM.
P.Lehtonen#23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:56 AM   #73
HockeyHippie
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

I don't want to speak for the rest of our league, but please re-read what I've said here as there's no reason for you to be confused. No one wants an inferior product and I completely understand the decision, I really do, especially once it was explained. Please, let me reiterate: once it was explained.

I too want the best sim platform possible and I have faith in Sebastian, Markus and everyone else at OOTP, as I love the OOTP product. I want the game to be as fantastic as I know it can be, and with a small company such as OOTP, we acknowledge this can't happen overnight.

But....In my case it's the fact we found out *today*, the day of the pre-order announcement. And we found it via a comment made in the forums. as opposed to any type of official acknowledgement. It would have akin to reading on the forums the day of the release of your favorite hockey sim that *your* favorite team wasn't included. Just yours. Any everyone else on the forums was like, "hey no biggie, get over it dude, it's only 1 team."

We had literally put our league on hold as we waited for the release. We were all pretty excited, guys had changed teams, we were all looking forward to it, people were already researching line combinations! It was a little deflating, to say the least. The online experience adds so much realism to the sim.

As in politics, the best way to handle this would have been full transparency, get out in front of it ASAP, and let the online community know beforehand:

"Dear hockey fans,

Today is a special day for us, as we have just officially announced Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - Officially licensed by the NHL!

Sebastian, Jeff, Malte, Daniela and many supporters from our community have worked very hard to create the most realistic and fun hockey management game available, and I am sure you will agree and enjoy FHM 3 once it is released on October 17.

Unfortunately, we realized in order to fully support our FHM3 core features and the numerous improvements we've made, we wouldn't be able to include online league functionality in the initial release version. This decision was a very hard one for all of us as our online leagues have been a big part of the success of OOTP and FHM2, but we think you will agree the progress made on the FHM3 core features will make the decision worth it. And of course we will try to add the online features via an update at some point, when we feel they are to the quality you all deserve.

If you pre-order now, you will save 25% (the game is $29.99 right now and $39.99 after release) and also get access to the Gold Master Beta version three days prior to the official launch.

Thanks so much for understanding and thank you for continuing to support Franchise Hockey Manager and OOTP."

Boom, done, and we all, while disappointed, would have understood.

Otherwise it seems as though you were kinda hoping people would pre-order before realizing such an important feature wasn't included, whether that was the case or not.

Last edited by HockeyHippie; 09-24-2016 at 03:23 AM.
HockeyHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:03 AM   #74
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

"He shoots, he scores!" Congratulations! I've been playing OOTP Baseball for many years, but never have played FHM until now. I'll be more than happy to get this game and play it for the first time. Great work, team!
RubeBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:38 AM   #75
bjernagris
Minors (Single A)

The iNHL, its GMs and commishes are ready to assist in any way possible to get online mode added back into FHM3.
bjernagris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:22 AM   #76
bjernagris
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
FHM2 online is not inferior in my opinion. All we need is the functionality to create/export/import teamfiles. I am not a programmer so I can't tell whether that is complicated to add back in, but it seems to me that it should not be.

iNHL is the longest running FHM online league in the world

- Semi-realistic, modern-day NHL league
- Running since 2015, currently in our 30th season (two restarts)
- Active, friendly community
- Own research team adding real-life prospects to make drafts more realistic
- Recently moved to FHM10
- Read more and apply HERE
bjernagris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:27 AM   #77
Bookker92
Bat Boy

For me, focusing on core features was the most important things to do.

Even if there is no online game anymore, they could add it back in the future.
I understand bad reactions, but if you think about the restricted development team / the money to spend carefully (even more after the great news of the NHL Licence) / and the wishes of majority (who play I guess offline), that was 100% logical and smart to take that decision.

I will buy the game, and I'm sure I will enjoy all the improvements a lot.

Thank you OOTP for all the hard work on FHM3.

Last edited by Bookker92; 09-24-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Bookker92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:25 AM   #78
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

I personally think it's a brace step to not include online functionality. I played in an online league and absolutely hated it. As the guys said, the game just didn't work online and they should focus on making the game a better experience overall.
I'm not sure spending money on the NHL licence was the right move yet though. I think more resources could have been put into making this game fun.
I love how in depth FHM2 is, but it just isn't fun to play. This should be the main priority and I for one hope the game day experience is rewritten, because it's really not fun to watch. I just skip it.
jonnycosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:11 AM   #79
brent_dog
Minors (Single A)

End of the day, if online had been included - even in it's current basic FHM2 capacity - this thread would have been full of nothing but happy people. Instead there are more negative comments than positive ones, which is why I think the whole thing is a bit of a PR own goal.

With that said, the new changes sound very exciting and the whole interface looks a lot more appealing and polished from the screenshots. Obviously it's difficult to say until the game itself is actually out, but in terms of single-player it looks like FHM3 could be on point.
brent_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #80
croatian
All Star Starter

Quote:
and ultimately enter the Hall of Fame at the end.
Is this means that there is no unlimited number of seasons to play ?
croatian is offline   Reply With Quote