Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - Public Beta Test > FHM - Beta Data Issues

Old 08-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #101
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Steve - I've been looking at some of the issues you mentioned regarding the beta. From what I've looked at so far (all of this has been reported to the devs):

- Solway finished 4th in my game, but I did see other teams finishing unexpectedly low (E.g. Nottingham Panthers). I think this is due to the incompleteness of the rosters right now. I know specifically with regards to Nottingham that their roster is now much more complete in real life - and I've just finished adding all of their recent transactions and setting those players' TAs.

- There is relegation between the two Northern NIHL Conferences when there shouldn't be.

- There is a playdown between the NIHL Southern Divisions when it should just be automatic promotion/relegation.

- The playoffs for the NIHL-1 South and North have both disappeared!

- The NIHL-1 North (Moralee) schedule is all over the place. It looks like the schedule I wrote might not have been added to the game.

- There's a crash if you try to view a match report for an EIHL or EPL playoff game.

- My suggested salary levels for the EIHL, EPL and NIHL-1 have now been added. However Jeff tells me that the game isn't using the salary levels in all situations in game yet (particularly in the initial game setup). So the change might not be immediately noticeable - but, once the bug is fixed, hopefully things will be much better and we'll no longer see NIHL-1 players on $80k p/y!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #102
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Steve - You mentioned that Solihull is the only team to have a full roster in the N2 in game. I'm wondering if you're getting them mixed up with Coventry. Coventry do have a full roster in the game because they were in the N1 last season and have moved down to the N2 this summer following the North's restructuring. As I commenced the research last season, when they were in the N1, they have a full roster in game.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #103
archibalduk
All Star Starter

I don't know when the next data update and/or beta is due for public release, but you'll hopefully find some noticeable improvements in the UK game:

1) With the exception of 12 players (because I accidentally missed them!), I have added TA ratings to all players in the British leagues and all free agents with British/Irish nationality who didn't already have TAs. This will allow the game to create random attributes for those players at the right sort of skill level. So that's roughly 175 players updated. These players didn't have ratings before either because they were newly created or free agents (and I'd been prioritising the playable leagues - i.e. EIHL, EPL and NIHL-1).

2) The past 2 or 3 weeks' worth of transactions have been implemented. Unfortunately news of Rylan Galiardi's move to Sheffield came through too late for me to add this week, but it'll be in next week. There are 3 transactions from the UK to other leagues which I can't guarantee will be done by the end of today (e.g. Galbraith). It all depends on the researchers responsible for those destination leagues. But if they've been missed, I'll drop those researchers a message. I have also left it to Mike, our French researcher, to move Hartung to Fife because he has been working on his attributes this week.

3) Jeff has made some changes to the NIHL playoffs and so hopefully they will now work in game. Also, the relegation issues in my previous post have hopefully also been fixed thanks to Jeff. The same goes for the Moralee schedule. We won't know for sure that they've been fixed until we can test them out with the next beta.

4) Jeff has added the salary levels for the playable British leagues. As mentioned the other day, the salaries might not work in game to start with because of a game bug, but hopefully once it is fixed you'll see a difference.

5) This is a pretty minor thing, but I've added the 2012/13 game stats for all British teams (i.e. the EIHL, EPL, NIHL 1 & 2 and SNL). It looks like there has been an issue with the Editor when some changes were made to the team stats screen a few months ago which has resulted in some of the team names being switched (i.e. you might see the historical names being muddled - e.g. the stats may refer to Deeside Dragons rather than Flintshire Freeze or vice-versa, etc). I've fixed some of them, but I'll have to leave the rest for another time because obviously the player rating work is more important.

As for what I hope to do over the next two weeks before release (time permitting, of course):

* Set TAs for the 12 players I missed.
* Add PAs to any players missing them (mostly UFAs and newly created players)
* Add Checking and some offensive attributes to players (and set Leadership ratings for any players missing them).
* Add some goalie attributes (I've already put these into a spreadsheet, I just need to copy them to the Editor).
* Make free agents those players who have not confirmed whether or not they're signing a new deal with their team from last season (only where those teams already have virtually complete rosters).
* Review the staff on the NIHL-1 & 2 and SNL teams (EIHL and EPL already complete).

Last edited by archibalduk; 08-19-2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Missed off PAs and goalie attributes from the list
Old 08-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #104
Stevo
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibalduk View Post
Steve - You mentioned that Solihull is the only team to have a full roster in the N2 in game. I'm wondering if you're getting them mixed up with Coventry. Coventry do have a full roster in the game because they were in the N1 last season and have moved down to the N2 this summer following the North's restructuring. As I commenced the research last season, when they were in the N1, they have a full roster in game.
I'm looking at the Solihull Barons right now in the Laidler division after 4 seasons simmed. Solihull has a full team with 7 veteran players with 13 under the age of 18. Coventry has just 8 players after 4 seasons. In the first season Solihull start with 9 players, Coventry have a full team. Because Solihull are at the top the table every year, they are always in the Playoffs which they always get thrashed in. Solihull signing players has got to be something to do with them being in the playoffs or being placed top of the league. Solihull make all their signings in late January which I guess is when the North 1 has finished and Solihull are getting ready for another doomed playoff appearance.

Also in the Laidler division are a Latvian team called Liepaja Metalurgs Juniors.

I managed to get through 4 seasons before the game crashed. I simmed the first season and then took over the Telford Tigers and took the best British players between 14-17 years old. I came third in the EPL the first season and won the playoffs. I won the EPL in the second season. I took over the Sheffield Steelers for the last season and gave myself the same players and came third in the league before winning the playoffs, my oldest players were 19. I really like this fictional game where British hockey is reaping the benefits of throwing lots of money into junior development. It would be great to be able to choose the level of players that are developed and also allow teams to be able to improve this level by putting money into their junior development or Academies.

I really started to enjoy the game, it should be interesting to see the changes made in the next Build.

Last edited by Stevo; 08-22-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #105
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Thanks!

The promotion/relegation playdown for the NIHL North has been removed. I wonder what effect that will have. I suppose it makes sense that the free agents would gravitate towards the "top" Laidler team.

Yeah I saw Liepaja Metalurgs Juniors too! I reported it last week and it is fixed in the latest internal beta build.

It's a little concerning what you're saying about the youth players. There are going to be some changes to player ratings in the NIHL and SNL and so let's see how things are once these changes have been made (hopefully by Sunday/Monday). I think I've seen reports of other leagues where it seems very random which teams win the leagues from the second season onwards. I wonder if this is related to the strength of generated prospects. Trafford are by far the weakest team in the EPL and I wouldn't expect them to win the league any time soon. It shouldn't be possible to win the EPL or EIHL by playing purely under 19 players.

Btw, the salaries are now much more realistic in game.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #106
Nino33
Major Leagues

Hey Arch...here's another question for you http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...tionality.html
Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #107
Stevo
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibalduk View Post
Thanks!

The promotion/relegation playdown for the NIHL North has been removed. I wonder what effect that will have. I suppose it makes sense that the free agents would gravitate towards the "top" Laidler team.

Yeah I saw Liepaja Metalurgs Juniors too! I reported it last week and it is fixed in the latest internal beta build.

It's a little concerning what you're saying about the youth players. There are going to be some changes to player ratings in the NIHL and SNL and so let's see how things are once these changes have been made (hopefully by Sunday/Monday). I think I've seen reports of other leagues where it seems very random which teams win the leagues from the second season onwards. I wonder if this is related to the strength of generated prospects. Trafford are by far the weakest team in the EPL and I wouldn't expect them to win the league any time soon. It shouldn't be possible to win the EPL or EIHL by playing purely under 19 players.

Btw, the salaries are now much more realistic in game.
The seasons after the first one are definitely very random, it doesn't compliment the hard work you've done on entering the players and rating them when the teams change a lot after the first season. Hopefully the next manager A.I. update will improve this. Perhaps the changes to the wages will have an effect, at least they'll make the game a lot more playable.

From what I've seen the ratings for the players are very good . The only player I think that needs a big boost and you may have changed this already is Robert Dowd, arguably the best British player ever produced and should be at the top of the scoring in the EIHA for Sheffield this year.

I'm getting the same young players with every new game I'm playing, including the phenom that is Northern Ireland's Nathan Ayson who appears in the second season. Does this mean that all players are already generated for all the seasons or just for the first few seasons? I think I'd prefer them to be freshly generated according to the level of money & coaching being put into the youth system, perhaps that could be added in the future.

Last edited by Stevo; 08-23-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #108
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
The only player I think that needs a big boost and you may have changed this already is Robert Dowd, arguably the best British player ever produced and should be at the top of the scoring in the EIHA for Sheffield this year.
From what I remember, he doesn't have any ratings set at all in the most recent public beta. I don't think the Allsvenskan researcher had gotten round to setting them. I gave him some ratings either last week or the week before - so you should *hopefully* see an improvement in his offensive output in the next public beta. Although the scorer totals in FHM are much lower than real life, so don't expect him (or anybody else) to be getting a 70+ pts season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Does this mean that all players are already generated for all the seasons or just for the first few seasons? I think I'd prefer them to be freshly generated according to the level of money & coaching being put into the youth system, perhaps that could be added in the future.
AFAIK the players are newly generated each season. Their skill level depends on the skill level of the league. There are some settings which cannot yet be edited in game which controls the skill levels for each league in the game.

Last edited by archibalduk; 08-23-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #109
archibalduk
All Star Starter

As with last week, this week's data update for the UK is a fairly large one (in part because I did some of the research during my house move):

* All transactions implemented (except a couple which need to be implemented by my fellow researchers) - the latest transactions implemented today are Jan Safar to Edinburgh and Craig Mitchell to Solway
* Added Checking ratings for all players in the EIHL, EPL and NIHL-1.
* Added Passing ratings for all players in the EIHL and EPL.
* Added Blocker, Glove and Low Shots for all goalies in the EIHL and EPL.
* Added TAs to a small number of British-based players/free agents missing them (as per my post a week ago).
* Removed any players from EIHL rosters who are yet to sign a deal for 2013/14.
* Renamed 2 NIHL teams: Trafford -> Manchester Minotaurs & Hull -> Hull Jets.
* Set team colours for all teams in the EIHL, EPL, NIHL-1, NIHL-2 and SNL (these will probably need some tweaking).

Jeff and the devs are also making some changes to the leagues which should *hopefully* see an end to the EIHL teams signing unrealistically large numbers of imports. Also, the TA ranges for NIHL and SNL players are being adjusted (I don't know if this will be applied to this week's update or next week's update). This latter change is why I haven't set goalie attributes for the NIHL-1 yet (I've drafted them in Excel, but the goalie TAs are being raised by 25 so there will need to be some very minor adjustments). This change should also hopefully result in a better range of salaries in the NIHL-1 (currently all players have almost identical salaries at roughly $23k).

As per my list from last week, my plan for the final week of research before the game's release is (time permitting, as always):

* Add missing PAs for newly created players [All EIHL/EPL/NIHL-1&2/SNL contracted players done 28/08/13]
* Set goalie attributes for NIHL-1 players [DONE 27/08/13]
* Release any players in the EPL and NIHL-1 who are yet to sign deals for 2013/14. [DONE 30/08/13]
* Review NIHL-1, NIHL-2 and SNL TAs following the batch TA adjustments. [DONE 27/08/13]
* Review NIHL-1 staff (and, time permitting, NIHL-2 and SNL).
* Double-check team colour settings. [EIHL - 30/08/13]

Last edited by archibalduk; 08-31-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #110
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Just a note about the UK team colours before somebody else picks it up: They all need to be redone.

When we were setting them up last week, the way in which the colours worked was different and this meant I had to set the colours in a less than ideal way in order to ensure that the coloured text was readable in game. Now things are different (and better, IMO), I can set up the colours more realistically. I'll do my best to redo the colours before tomorrow's deadline, but I can't promise it as I've several other more important tasks I need to get complete beforehand.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #111
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Yesterday night was the final DB editing deadline before next week's release. Here's a summary of the main things I worked on this week:

* All EIHL, EPL and NIHL-1 rosters are up to date as of approx 30 August (e.g. the most recent trades include Vjaceslavs Movko -> Sutton Sting and Euan Forsyth -> Fife Flyers).
* Added PAs for any British-based players and UK free agents who didn't already have them set.
* Reviewed and updated the EPL and NIHL-1 rosters (EIHL already checked) - i.e. all players who are yet to sign a new deal for this season are now UFAs. Some teams in the NIHL-1 have signed a number of junior players and these players have now been added to the DB (with bio data, TAs and templates, of course).
* Added Blocker, Glove and Low Shots for all goalies in the NIHL-1.
* Made some adjustments to NIHL-1, NIHL-2 and SNL players following adjustments to the TA settings for those leagues.
* Adjusted team colours for the EIHL teams.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to review the NIHL-1 staff, but I don't think it's a major issue because they were reviewed in the late spring IIRC. I'll go through them when we're next able to work on the DB. I'll also go through the non-EIHL team colours. I'm wondering whether the non-EIHL teams should have their colours set according to their road/third jerseys rather than their home jerseys. Unlike the EIHL, all other teams (except one or two IIRC) have white jerseys - so there's currently a lot of white in game.

Regarding the rosters, there are a couple of teams who haven't confirmed any signings yet. For this reason, I've left them with their end of 12/13 season rosters for the time being (except of course for those players who have since moved on to another team). This applies to the following two teams (both NIHL-1 South):

* Cardiff NIHL Devils
* Milton Keynes Thunder

There's still plenty to do, but I think there's enough set in the database to make the UK leagues playable (I hope it is acceptable to others too!). I've really enjoyed working on the database and developing the British side of the game (I've been working on the DB since June 2012 - time has gone fast!). I'm going to take a break for 2 or 3 weeks and then I'll get back to work.

I'd be really interested to hear anybody's experiences playing the British leagues following next Tuesday's release - and whether there is anything that can be improved (I know I've come across players in the DB who I felt I'd initially under or overrated).
Old 09-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #112
grazza
Bat Boy

Great job overall. Just noticed a small thing Horna at Edinburgh has his nationality as Scottish but it should be Czech.

Last edited by grazza; 09-07-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #113
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Oops! My bad! I'll get that fixed for the next DB submission deadline (which is next weekend). Thank you!

I've been taking a break from DB editing because it was pretty hectic for the final two months in terms of editing workload. However, there have been a few transactions in all leagues since the game's release and it's bothering me that they're not in the DB yet. So I expect I'll probably implement all of them this week. Also, MK Thunder and Cardiff NIHL Devils have announced their rosters and so I can now finalise them too.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #114
archibalduk
All Star Starter

As mentioned previously, I've been taking a couple of weeks off from DB work whilst I settle into a new job and also because I needed a break generally from staring at my Excel spreadsheet and the DB Editor!

Anyhow, it was bothering me that the rosters are a little out of date and so I've implemented all of the roster changes since my last DB work. This includes creating some junior players who have signed with the NIHL Cardiff and MK teams (and also their rosters have now been finalised). So when the next DB update comes out, it'll be bang up to date. I've also fixed the nationality of Horna - it seems I omitted to set his nationality and so the game defaulted to Scottish.

I hope everybody is enjoying the start of the new season! There has been plenty of controversy already. I just came back from the Guildford v Bracknell game. It felt like most of the game was spent with somebody in the penalty box!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #115
thebusbybriddon
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Every time I go to access the Steelers or Panthers the game crashes and I have to restart it.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #116
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebusbybriddon View Post
Every time I go to access the Steelers or Panthers the game crashes and I have to restart it.
I recommend you upload your saved game and report the bug via this thread: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3565758