Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
The Game
Hall Of Famer

When Do You Give Up On A League or Team?

I suck at managing in my ABF. I am way overbudget. No one wants to trade for any player i have with the exception of 5 untouchables. My 1B is great on offense but is the worst defender in the league with 54 E. .340 51 HR 145 RBI 29 BB 35 K. I won my 6th POTY award 19-6 244K my 2006 #1 overall pick won ROTY. 312 12 HR 54 SB ( I have running jacked up and i simmed the entire year)
I seem to have platoons at every position except 1B & SS. I cant find a 2B that can hit. My 3B of Ventura while good on D keeps hitting .220. Harold Baines has been on a steady decline each of the last 4 yrs and at 6 million hit .224 24 HR 45 RBI. Andre Dawson sucks in this game. a RF who I traded for who the previous 3 seasons averaged .334 26 109 hit .254 21 63. With the exception of myself no other SP had a winning record. My Greg Maddux clone Markus Heinsohn went 4-16 5.46 in his 3rd season. a once ranked #13 SP prospect went 11-16 6.14 in his 4th year.

Trying to decide if I should give it a few more years, switch teams or give up on my ABF.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

When I run out of real players.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

When I get bored of it (which is often very quickly). I'll spend hours setting up a fictional league with five levels of minor leagues and then play it for a day and not play it again.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
soxfan34
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
When I get bored of it (which is often very quickly). I'll spend hours setting up a fictional league with five levels of minor leagues and then play it for a day and not play it again.
I tend to do this as well. Considering writing a dynasty report, solely for the purpose of staying engaged in my own game, whether or not anyone actually reads it.
soxfan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

For me it's always just been a gut feeling. Like mpejkrm stated, sometimes I'll spend six hours setting up a full fictional league only for it to never draw me in... and sometimes I'll play every inning of every game for 12 seasons.

Generally speaking, I only play fictional. As a theoretical example, I'll just get too caught up in what Justin Verlander should be doing instead of what he is actually doing... So I've found that pure flights of fictional fancy are the style for me... That said, if I'm in a rut and the league isn't drawing me in... Then I'll usually just let the CPU simulate for a decade or so and then try to jump back in.
Nunyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan34 View Post
I tend to do this as well. Considering writing a dynasty report, solely for the purpose of staying engaged in my own game, whether or not anyone actually reads it.
That's the reason I write a dynasty report. Because it helps keep myself engaged. Having others read it is just a nice bonus.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Giving up is never an option.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Thinking about just simming to 2013 playing out some games and see what type of history I can build. Just upset that I seem to have these good players that dont do anything for my team but leave as FA or get traded and become All Stars. I had 5 former players as All Stars in 2006. 3 played for me in 2005 and did bad.

"Stay Strong"

Old 08-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

The only time I become disinterested in a league is when my team wins too much. Three championships in a row? Bored now. I see your kind of position as a challenge - I'd be absolutely determined to turn the team into a contender.

I also can never bring myself to switch teams in a league. I get too emotionally attached to my players to consider doing that. I'd rather start over with a fresh league.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

What I do is to create a couple of leagues. Set them up to the point of the inaugural draft. I then exit the game and place this saved file in another folder, other than saved games.

I currently have 3 leagues that I play. If I get bored with one I just delete it from the saved games, and select another league out of the 3 and start over.

I do this so I can always have a league going and if I get bored just switch over to another league. I also reset the names of the players when I bring a league over to the saved games folder. This way I do not know which players are studs and which are duds.

This works from me and I don't have to set up a league, other than the initial creating of leagues.

I usually sim out my leagues to about 40-80 seasons before I try a new league.

-Sandman

Last edited by SandMan; 08-12-2013 at 02:11 PM.
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
The only time I become disinterested in a league is when my team wins too much. Three championships in a row? Bored now. I see your kind of position as a challenge - I'd be absolutely determined to turn the team into a contender.

I also can never bring myself to switch teams in a league. I get too emotionally attached to my players to consider doing that. I'd rather start over with a fresh league.
It is becoming a challenge. This is the only team that I struggle with. 2 winnings seasons out of 6. I did squeak into the playoffs a few seasons ago to win the ABF championship. I am dead last in budget and payroll. My market size dropped to below avg and my fan loyalty is minimal. I was able to shed 12 million in payroll. I'll post some SS's for this league soon. I do have 5 great players to build around so I should be able to win soon.
Myself as a SP. 5 or 6 POTY awards 30 yrs old.
1B Ben Harris 28 yrs old L/L can also play LF but he is as bad there as he is at 1B. an offensive force.
I lack a real 2B. I have a clone of Joe Crede at 2B.
3B Robin Ventura 5th season overall
SS Wilbur Duggleby. the best player of all time. I have 3 players in my league where i edit their yearly stats. This is one of them. In 2007 he will have a stat line of .343 35 HR 472B 213B. 250 speed 200 defense at SS/CF.
LF Harold Baines on the decline each of the last 4 seasons signed thru 2007 at 7 mil.
CF Lance Johnson. decent season in 2006 31 SB but only a .310 OBP making 700K in 2007 725 K in 2008.
RF Bruce Beach. Did great with Detroit with me injured and hit .254 27 HR 112 RBI. I also have Andre Dawson but he is not nearly as good as RL Dawson.
C. Charles Johnson solid on D. typical CJ in RL low avg decent power. I also traded for a real good backup C since muy entire system lacks a decent C prospect
SP
Me
Markus Heinsohn (clone of maddux)
Jose Deleon L/L 10-16 4.56 last year approx
Ritchie Valens (out til next year, clone of Billy Pierce)

I'll post more on this later on.

"Stay Strong"

Old 08-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
soxfan34
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh View Post
Giving up is never an option.
Said A-Rod to his PEDs.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
soxfan34
Major Leagues

How many of you guys actually play your games out as opposed to simming? I tend to get much more engaged if I manage the team, particularly if it's fictional, as you get to learn the players.

Last edited by soxfan34; 08-12-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
Garrett67
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
How many of you guys actually play your games out as opposed to simming? I tend to get much more engaged if I manage the team, particularly if it's fictional, as you get to learn the players.

I keep meaning to get back to my game (College league that feeds into majors), its been idle for about 2 months now.

I prefer to play the games out, just to learn the guys and feel like I know what is going on. But, that takes time and makes me not want to play.

Then , if I sim, I end up just simming a week and seeing nothing really happened so then I sim another week (Rinse/repeat). Doing that makes me feel like the game has no meaning and I'm not very involved. So I end up not wanting to play it.

I love the game but I can't keep focused on it for more than a day.

I keep updating hoping to start it up and play at least one game, but for some reason I just don't.
Garrett67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
D-BacksJosh
Banned

I play every game out that way when I look back on the stat history of my team I know that I took part in everything that went on. Simming large chunks at a time does not interest me in the least.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

I'm a pure simmer. Only play out playoff games. I still feel interaction with my fictional guys.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
i'm a pure simmer. Only play out playoff games. I still feel interaction with my fictional guys.
+1
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #18
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

I spend the time like the people above have stated setting up MLB, CBL plus COL and HS Then I sim for 20-30 years and to keep my self interested I start with my high school team and add my self I coach there for 4 years then look for a job. I try to add players to college and high school to follow friends, band members, pro players. I usually get attached to players so I try to pick a few to play out careers with my team then I leave team and sim a little to give me a new set of players (something I didn't do in my current league) and try again with my old team or with a new team. I rarely quit a league in less its corrupted or I lose to many seasons due to not backing up. The league I have now I made for OOTP 12 and have lost 2.5 seasons near the start of me playing and just recently lost 1.5 more seasons but I haven't given up yet and I hope my league can get better.

Quote:
I love to steal and control my rookies or spot starters so I play out 30-40 games a year the game plays differently when I manage and I know what some guys can do, like steal with that 36 year old catcher on back end of double steal. I don't think I could play out every game tho and with really life players it frustrating when they don't play like I think they should.

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For this league I played every game 2000-2004. 2005 I played just the games I pitched in and simmed the rest and then simmed the 2006 season.
For mt MLB vs EBL league I played 80% of the games 2003-2008. 25% of the games 2009. I play until my team is either 10games up or 10 games back. Also depends on how interesting the season is. I try to play one home and 1 road series vs each team.
In my top 25 league I play every game thru 4 years.
I sim my History of Baseball and my History of the White Sox leagues until 2000.

"Stay Strong"

Old 08-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When I first started OOTP, I played out games. I felt like it took too long, so I started simming more often (I'd only play maybe 1 or 2 games a week). Gradually, this turned into total simulation, acting as simply the GM and letting the AI manage all the on-field matters. While I still like this approach, for the speed at which you can get through a season, I have to say that playing out the games is better by far.

I recently switched back to playing out every game, and my god, I had forgotten what it was like to feel a true connection with your players. All those seasons I had simmed, trading a whole bunch in the offseason, giving up fan favorites in the name of making the team better, taking a "what have you done for me lately" attitude when re-signing guys... I used to THINK that I was connected to my players, but I never realized how removed from the team I actually was.

Previously, it was nothing. I made deals left and right. The league was full of guys who played on my team for a year and then got traded. I felt no loyalty to them, and because of that, I was always able to improve the team and took so many different franchises to so many championships that, as I pointed out above, I would get bored with the league. Now, I'm sitting at just over .500 for the third straight season, but I wouldn't give up this core of guys for the world. I try to make a deadline deal for that SP we so desperately need, and I look at the list of guys I could trade... and I don't want to trade them. They're no longer just numbers in a chart; I know these guys. Sure, they're not REAL, but I still feel like I'm connected with them. I believe in them, and I know that when I finally do win a championship with them, it's going to be so much more special because of it.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote