Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
tykond
Minors (Rookie Ball)

When/How to Upgrade

I am currently in Silver and will be promoted to gold next week. I have packed a few solid cards, but am also running a pretty heavy SE team. I have 160000 PP. I have won my division, or the league regular season all but 1 year. Because I am just rolling along, part of me does not want to touch my team as it's working right now. The other part wants to start upgrading now, but I am not sure if I should be making small upgrades to see what works/does not work or save up and buy a top guy that I can probably keep forever? Want to focus on SS, 2B, CF most, but value is most important to me above all.
tykond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Any ideas posted here would drive up the price and we have no pumping and dumping on this forum, do we? I would say do nothing and just study the teams who are winning in your leagues and try to get ideas from that.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:53 PM   #3
ubernoob
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykond
I am currently in Silver and will be promoted to gold next week. I have packed a few solid cards, but am also running a pretty heavy SE team. I have 160000 PP. I have won my division, or the league regular season all but 1 year. Because I am just rolling along, part of me does not want to touch my team as it's working right now. The other part wants to start upgrading now, but I am not sure if I should be making small upgrades to see what works/does not work or save up and buy a top guy that I can probably keep forever? Want to focus on SS, 2B, CF most, but value is most important to me above all.

Don't even go for your leagues. You have 160k, go to Main -> Perfect Team Universe -> and check out the Perfect league (and some of the diamond leagues.)

You yourself said you have a SE heavy team, that puts you right with everyone else in this game for the most part.

I just clicked on a random gold league and most of the cards on the leaderboard that opens up are SE cards. There are plenty of SE cards in Diamond still that I see every year too.

You haven't said the cards that you packed, so I have no idea how much stronger or weaker you would be than the other super SE-based teams - but you will run into a wall very soon in gold most likely. You might make it through diamond on luck (or your other cards are actually very good) but definitely start looking to see where you can upgrade.

Edit: clicked the wrong quote button -_-
Old 07-04-2020, 11:33 PM   #4
tykond
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob View Post
Don't even go for your leagues. You have 160k, go to Main -> Perfect Team Universe -> and check out the Perfect league (and some of the diamond leagues.)
When I do this, it just takes me to a new webpage and shows standings and the top 5 in the offensive and defensive categories. Is there a way to see expanded views?

Quote:
You haven't said the cards that you packed, so I have no idea how much stronger or weaker you would be than the other super SE-based teams - but you will run into a wall very soon in gold most likely. You might make it through diamond on luck (or your other cards are actually very good) but definitely start looking to see where you can upgrade.
I have Legend Ed Delahanty who is a 80 1B and 84 LF. Live Rendon at 3B, 94 Larry Doby that is a 75 2B, 71 LF and 78 RF (I like him as a backup for all those positions) SE 100 Willie Mays in CF, Dwight Evans as a backup RF and Bobby Witt Jr as backup 3B. My starting 5 are 4 SE and Tim Hudson, and my bullpen is a mix of starers turned relievers and SE cards. I think I have some good options, but would still like to make some moves somewhere along the lines. Just not sure if I should spend it all on 1 player, or upgrade 3 - 4 positions.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:35 PM   #5
tykond
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Any ideas posted here would drive up the price and we have no pumping and dumping on this forum, do we? I would say do nothing and just study the teams who are winning in your leagues and try to get ideas from that.
I am not looking for specific players, just more wondering what other teams do. Maybe that is asking too much, but just an idea of go get 1 guy with everything you can, or upgrade a few positions.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:26 AM   #6
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykond View Post
or upgrade a few positions.
In general terms, the One Big Score [franchise player] is a better idea than half a dozen [ good-for-a-couple-of-seasons] guys, incremental upgrades waste pp.

But it's up to you. The Super Stud can be difficult to acquire once you choose him.

Another option is build a tourney team for one of the upper brackets. Not Open, you're not swinging nearly enough PP for that, but you could certainly build a solid Gold tourney team.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
ubernoob
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
When I do this, it just takes me to a new webpage and shows standings and the top 5 in the offensive and defensive categories. Is there a way to see expanded views?

Unfortunately not, but you can check those top 5s to see what kind of players are topping the boards in higher leagues.

Quote:
I have Legend Ed Delahanty who is a 80 1B and 84 LF. Live Rendon at 3B, 94 Larry Doby that is a 75 2B, 71 LF and 78 RF (I like him as a backup for all those positions) SE 100 Willie Mays in CF, Dwight Evans as a backup RF and Bobby Witt Jr as backup 3B. My starting 5 are 4 SE and Tim Hudson, and my bullpen is a mix of starers turned relievers and SE cards. I think I have some good options, but would still like to make some moves somewhere along the lines. Just not sure if I should spend it all on 1 player, or upgrade 3 - 4 positions.

You're about where I was, then I got sick of my team being a bunch of players I didn't care about. I'm stuck in the diamond doldrums and will be pretty much forever, but I'm okay with that.

Basically you need to have a way to earn PP if you want to upgrade your team. For you, since you already are up in leagues this will most likely be through tournaments (I assume you are like most people that play this game and aren't going to just drop thousands because you want to on it.)

If I were in your spot, I'd put together a good tournament team (Silver, Gold and some of the Gold/Diamond Cap tournaments perhaps) and use that to increase your PP/Pack income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post
In general terms, the One Big Score [franchise player] is a better idea than half a dozen [ good-for-a-couple-of-seasons] guys, incremental upgrades waste pp.

But it's up to you. The Super Stud can be difficult to acquire once you choose him.

Another option is build a tourney team for one of the upper brackets. Not Open, you're not swinging nearly enough PP for that, but you could certainly build a solid Gold tourney team.

I pretty much agree with everything here.

My main team won't earn PP nearly as much as my team set up in the lower leagues to do it so I just spent my money on some tournament teams. It's the most reliable way to get a couple packs/PP day to me, even if I don't have the greatest teams yet.

You could build multiple tourney teams, though. I think I put together a team that won the super cap tourney twice this week for under 75k (gold 1750 limit tournament.) I didn't make my money back yet, but the first reward was a SE Brian Giles card (92) that's going for like 6-9k it looks like and the second was a SE Red Ruffing (94) that seems go be going for 16-20k.

I'm not selling because I have problems, but if I did I made 1/3 of what I spent back already. So maybe use what you have now to put together a quick gold tournament team and play a couple, see what the winner are rolling with and use that as a base for ideas of your team?

If not going the tournament route, I'd highly suggest only upgrading 1 or 2 players max with that PP. 2 80k players might stick around at diamond/perfect level, but 5 30K players won't.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
2tango2
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
80k players might stick around at diamond/perfect level, but 5 30K players won't.
Unless they are named Ichiro or Bagwell it seems

Good advice though...I've built a solid gold team that is in the finals right now with quite a few 30k players. I'm getting a taste of Diamond in the finals right now and it is not pretty. Next year is going to be a disaster but plan on selling a few of these 30K players to buy 1 or 2 upper echelon cards to at least have a fighting chance...but I doubt it...I'm getting starched in the finals by a team that is built for Diamond. I won game 4 just to prolong my agony

PT21

PT22

2tango2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #9
allenciox
All Star Reserve

Top upgrade slots from Live SE

In general, your biggest "bang-for-your-buck" players will be your top 4 SPs. then key "everyday" batters, then your fifth starter, then your vR platoon batters and few top RPs, and finally your vL platoon batters.

If you are upgrading from, say, the live SE players, these will be your priorities:

1. Get a better shortstop than Trulowski. Pesky or Monte Irvin or Cronin (100) are popular choices here and will run you 60-80k. If you have the cash, Pop Lloyd is fantastic, but will set you back 200k.
2. Then 3B and RF (assuming you play Ichiro in CF). You can get really good replacements at both those positions in the 50k to 60k range.
3. Your SPs except for Maddux (Maddux is a top-tier that will do well up through diamond at least... although in perfect league, almost all those players have upgraded him to "perfect" Maddux). Reasonable SP choices that will perform decently up through diamond level will set you back between 70k and 120k apiece.
4. Then consider upgrading 1B, 2B, and DH, again looking in the 60k to 100k range. Yaz will continue to do well in upper levels at LF, Ichiro can play a decent CF (and continue to get > .300 BA) up through diamond. Yogi Berra is still an excellent catcher at the diamond level.

You won't find anybody doing well in diamond with no upgrades beyond the SE Starting pitchers, but most of those pitchers convert to bullpen quite nicely.

Last edited by allenciox; 07-05-2020 at 10:12 PM.
allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:21 PM   #10
tykond
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Unfortunately not, but you can check those top 5s to see what kind of players are topping the boards in higher leagues.
Okay, that was what I get too, it is a good jumping off point!

Quote:
Basically you need to have a way to earn PP if you want to upgrade your team. For you, since you already are up in leagues this will most likely be through tournaments (I assume you are like most people that play this game and aren't going to just drop thousands because you want to on it.)

If I were in your spot, I'd put together a good tournament team (Silver, Gold and some of the Gold/Diamond Cap tournaments perhaps) and use that to increase your PP/Pack income.
I have a bronze team that I've spent a fair amount of time on, I have won 44 packs this week (nothing on the board for today), and I feel like that is my best chance to land a monster, or a card I can sell to get me a monster. The tournaments in bronze feel like a toss up, win 18 packs yesterday, can't get out of the second round today, but I feel it averages out pretty well.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:26 PM   #11
ubernoob
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I have a bronze team that I've spent a fair amount of time on, I have won 44 packs this week (nothing on the board for today), and I feel like that is my best chance to land a monster, or a card I can sell to get me a monster. The tournaments in bronze feel like a toss up, win 18 packs yesterday, can't get out of the second round today, but I feel it averages out pretty well.

Yeah it's a bit of a toss up (my bronze is hit or miss as well, I'll have days where I barely lose a tournament and then runs of days where I just get 0-4'd in the first every time) because the variation in cards isn't there. Gold you'd be able to set up a team that can go quite far in a bunch of the tournament variations (most of my super cap team is starting on my gold tournament team) and get a chance at some of the nicer cards the tournaments reward to either use or sell.

Diamond tournaments you'd be looking at cards that would be upgrades for your league anyways, so it's a bit much to think about some of those. Can always enter them for fun and to check out the competition, but 160k isn't near enough for a powerhouse diamond tourney team.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:28 PM   #12
tykond
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
In general, your biggest "bang-for-your-buck" players will be your top 4 SPs. then key "everyday" batters, then your fifth starter, then your vR platoon batters and few top RPs, and finally your vL platoon batters.
I do look hard at the pitchers and try find value. I bought 94 Jack Quinn today to be a replacement in my rotation

Quote:
1. Get a better shortstop than Trulowski. Pesky or Monte Irvin or Cronin (100) are popular choices here and will run you 60-80k. If you have the cash, Pop Lloyd is fantastic, but will set you back 200k.
I bought 96 Honus Wagner yesterday, and in very limited usage, he was brutal, but I hope that will change this week.

Quote:
2. Then 3B and RF (assuming you play Ichiro in CF). You can get really good replacements at both those positions in the 50k to 60k range.
I have 100 Willie Mays in CF, so Yaz is in LF and Ichiro in RF.

Quote:
3. Your SPs except for Maddux (Maddux is a top-tier that will do well up through diamond at least... although in perfect league, almost all those players have upgraded him to "perfect" Maddux). Reasonable SP choices that will perform decently up through diamond level will set you back between 70k and 120k apiece.
I have my spreadsheet all ready to start scouting some pitchers. I have read the threads about trying to find the solid value in pitchers with good mix of movement, control and stuff, and the suggestion they should be over 430 to compete in Diamond, so I want to try grow a list of pitchers to focus on.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:33 PM   #13
tykond
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Yeah it's a bit of a toss up (my bronze is hit or miss as well, I'll have days where I barely lose a tournament and then runs of days where I just get 0-4'd in the first every time) because the variation in cards isn't there. Gold you'd be able to set up a team that can go quite far in a bunch of the tournament variations (most of my super cap team is starting on my gold tournament team) and get a chance at some of the nicer cards the tournaments reward to either use or sell.
So in the Gold tournaments, you feel that there is more control to it? As in, if you put together a strong team, you will get more results over time, and less of a coin flip every round? The Daily Super Cap for a card is a spot to focus to try build a strong team?
Old 07-05-2020, 10:54 PM   #14
ubernoob
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
So in the Gold tournaments, you feel that there is more control to it? As in, if you put together a strong team, you will get more results over time, and less of a coin flip every round? The Daily Super Cap for a card is a spot to focus to try build a strong team?

If you have that much PP, I wouldn't say the Super Cap is *great* because the card rewards are... middling (at least in terms of use towards diamond/perfect leagues.) Normally they're 92-94 overalls for first place, but not something you'd put in your team to use. It's a fun tournament though.

I think the gold packs/pp tournaments are probably better, but I just enter the super cap because I enter 3 daily tournaments before I log off for the night (Gold being another one on that team.) I think the quality of cards you can get in gold leads to a better outcome. You can put together a gold tournament team for 30k PP but it wouldn't touch a team that actually went through and bought the proper gold cards since the variety between good and bad gold cards is just so much greater than Bronze.

You could probably put together a good silver team too but I haven't dug into those cards/tourneys enough to know much about them.

But in general yes, the higher up you go in tournaments the more it costs to put together a team that will put together more consistent results but it's slightly easier to get those results.

Last edited by ubernoob; 07-05-2020 at 10:58 PM.
ubernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:25 PM   #15
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
4. Then consider upgrading 1B, 2B, and DH, again looking in the 60k to 100k range. Yaz will continue to do well in upper levels at LF
I am curious about why you suggest to upgrade Bagwell and keep Yaz? I have been looking at the diamond leaderboards and I see Bagwell at least as often (maybe more) as Yaz.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #16
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:

If you are upgrading from, say, the live SE players, these will be your priorities:

4. Then consider upgrading 1B, 2B, and DH, again looking in the 60k to 100k range. Yaz will continue to do well in upper levels at LF, Ichiro can play a decent CF (and continue to get > .300 BA) up through diamond. Yogi Berra is still an excellent catcher at the diamond level.

You won't find anybody doing well in diamond with no upgrades beyond the SE Starting pitchers, but most of those pitchers convert to bullpen quite nicely.

because of your post I looked & found that Irvin has some IF skills. thanks. (already starting Boudreau but this could open up a roster spot).

same as OP. currently in Diamond, will be back in gold in 1-2 weeks... not really sure what's next. SE heavy with a couple lucky pulls.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:15 PM   #17
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanIachimoe View Post
because of your post I looked & found that Irvin has some IF skills. thanks. (already starting Boudreau but this could open up a roster spot).
I was thinking that he meant Monte Ward. Maybe he will clarify this.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:22 PM   #18
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I was thinking that he meant Monte Ward. Maybe he will clarify this.

probably. Irvin leaves a lot to be desired in the Range & Error categories.

was surprised he could play there though.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #19
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

working on Pee Wee Reese but not sure how much of an upgrade from Tulo he is.

kind of stuck in the abyss. no idea how people have the PP to complete some of these missions. I might have reached my limit.