Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
chazzycat
All Star Starter

League for Theme Teams

I have seen a few "theme teams" like one of mine, where the players are all from one organization.

Seems like it might be fun to play against other such theme teams. Wouldn't it be cool to see my all-Giants team face an all-Dodgers squad in the world series??

Would there be any interest in trying to set up such a league for next week using the friends list?

If you are interested, please let me know:
1) Manager Username
2) Team Name
3) What is your Theme

Current List:

Diamond Level
1. robtoml (Motor City Togers) - Tigers Theme
2. GPATCHIN (CapeCodCranberry) - Red Sox Theme
3. barkley (San Bruno CrazyCrabs) - Giants Theme
4. CrashSFgiants (Half Moon Bay Cougars) - Giants Theme
5. Branchrickey (Kansas City Royals) - Royals Theme
6. Mess (Don Valley Angry Jays) - Blue Jays Theme
7. 007 (California Dodgers) - Dodgers Theme
8. greenwell (Boston Braves) - Red Sox Theme

Gold level
1. chazzycat2 (San Francisco Giants) - Giants Theme
2. daveyg013 (Portland Nutters) - TBD Theme
3. chestybump (Queens Amazin's) - Mets Theme
4. happy_lab (St. Pete Labradors) - Rays/Cubs theme
5. Bagpipes_5 (Cleveland Spiders) - Indians Theme
6. Cloud (Sandbox Rats) - Switch-Hitting Theme
7. thakfu2 (Milwaukee Braves) - Milwaukee Theme

Silver level
1. ajwindon (Washington Nationals) - Nationals theme
2. screamingpalm (Baltimore Orioles) - Orioles theme
3. AncientMariner (Seattle Mariners) - Mariners Theme
4. thirdday609 (Kellam Knights) - Future Legends Theme
5. tigerstown (Bless You Boys) - Tigers Theme
6. rgu (Great Lakes Ghosts) - Great Lakes Theme
7. gwjones7 (Stargell Stars) - Pirates Theme
8. The_Game54 (Chicago Hitmen) - Chicago Theme
9. ttrash (M-Town M-Stars) - M-named Theme
10. Bagpipes5 (Houston Astros) - Astros Theme
11. Bagpipes-5 (New York Knights) - Historical Theme
12. nyny (Old York Yankopolitans) - New York Theme
13. edmc9 (Dacula Braves) - Braves Theme
14. georgia (Kennesaw Indians) - Indians Theme
15. spiders49 (Point Loma Indians) - Indians Theme
16. mwadsit91 (Michael Mayhem) - Michael Theme
17. mwadsit2 (Waddling Walruses) - OBP Theme

Bronze level
1. nickyanks (Yonkers Yankees) - Yankees theme
2. Bernie (Brisbane Brewers) - Brewers Theme

Once your team is added to the list above, in order for this to actually work, everyone needs to do the following:

1) In the "Perfect Team Universe" --> Managers section, you need to search for the listed teams in the same level (and +/- one level to account for promotions/relegations) and add the appropriate managers to your friends list by clicking "add friend" on the very right. This screen tends to crash if you alt-tab back and forth with your internet browser, so I would recommend using windowed mode instead of fullscreen mode.

2) In the "Perfect Team Settings" you need to have the league setting set to "Use Friends List". This is in the upper right of that screen. Once you apply the setting, submit your team. Then, log out and back in, and make sure the setting has stuck.

Last edited by chazzycat; 03-17-2019 at 07:34 PM.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I have an all Cardinals team in Gold that would be happy to join up.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #3
<Pion>
All Star Starter

My All Dodger team is in. I'm expecting we might get kicked from Perfect back to Diamond.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Just single team themes, or are other options available? I'm interested in taking another crack at a Future Legends only team after the last card release.

I actually flipped them into another odd theme team: all left handed or switch hitters with all righty pitching. Hitting is working out great, but pitching is so so more because of the quality of the players than the theme. Made the playoffs last season, but i'm okay with flipping them back to FL this week. They are in Gold right now. They are my #3 fun experimental team.

Let me know if you guys are cool with that theme.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
Just single team themes, or are other options available? I'm interested in taking another crack at a Future Legends only team after the last card release.

I actually flipped them into another odd theme team: all left handed or switch hitters with all righty pitching. Hitting is working out great, but pitching is so so more because of the quality of the players than the theme. Made the playoffs last season, but i'm okay with flipping them back to FL this week. They are in Gold right now. They are my #3 fun experimental team.

Let me know if you guys are cool with that theme.
I've got an all switch hitter team that has done very well.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
My cardinals team got relegated back to Silver.

Needless to say, that one of the lessons I learned this go around is "Don't create a themed Cardinals team". No current season diamonds (and only a handful of golds). Relief pitching, both current and historical, are underwhelming. Historical diamonds are prohibitively expensive.

I am not against themed teams but I need to scope out the players first and make sure there are enough viable choices for that theme.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post

Needless to say, that one of the lessons I learned this go around is "Don't create a themed Cardinals team". No current season diamonds (and only a handful of golds). Relief pitching, both current and historical, are underwhelming. Historical diamonds are prohibitively expensive.

I am not against themed teams but I need to scope out the players first and make sure there are enough viable choices for that theme.
Yes, I wouldn't do it again either. I have considered blowing it up and just making it a normal F2P team, but I haven't had the enthusiasm for it yet.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post

I think for a lot of theme teams, you run into some gaps in player quality that are tough to overcome. For example, with the Dodgers, it's lack of Gold-level starting pitchers. There's plenty of Silver, plenty of Diamonds and even a Perfect (Koufax), but overcoming the lack of Gold SP is a tough transition period.

With my Future Legends team, it was having 1 catcher at the time (Mejia) and overabundance of SP that are really Long-Relievers because of middling Stamina. I actually opened my theme to include any rookie cards as well to allow me to cover some of the weaknesses.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 01-28-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

On that note about the gaps, the rule that really open up possibilities, which this league may not want to adopt, is to allow any player that's played for the theme team. For example, I could add Royals Greinke and Braves Maddux to the Dodgers.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #10
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Yes, I wouldn't do it again either. I have considered blowing it up and just making it a normal F2P team, but I haven't had the enthusiasm for it yet.
Yeah, I would not get a tone of return on my investments if I decided to sell off parts and refocus the team.

I would probably keep a few players like Chris Carpenter, Albert Pujols (The 3b version), Orlando Cepeda and maybe Tom Herr and rebuild around them.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:17 PM   #11
chazzycat
All Star Starter

It looks like it might take a while to get a few folks on the same level, so I think I'm open to expanding the definition of "theme team" to other ideas, if nothing else than to help accelerate the process.

For now I'll maintain a list of the users in the top post. To everyone who wants in, please let me know the username for the theme team (I assume most of our theme teams are the 2nd or 3rd team)
Old 01-28-2019, 05:34 PM   #12
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
It looks like it might take a while to get a few folks on the same level, so I think I'm open to expanding the definition of "theme team" to other ideas, if nothing else than to help accelerate the process.

For now I'll maintain a list of the users in the top post. To everyone who wants in, please let me know the username for the theme team (I assume most of our theme teams are the 2nd or 3rd team)
My theme team is daveyg013, currently listed as the Portland Nutters.

I'll need to know fairly soon how open the Theme Team rules are. If the rules are extremely open to where Only Historical works, then it'll be easy to build super teams. If it's On Card Team restrictions, then it's much narrower. And there's tons of potential limitations somewhere in the middle.

I'm actually thinking about making The Past & Future Legends, with only All-Time Legends and Future Legends, but I'm afraid it will be a bit overpowered vs. teams with only Cardinals, for example.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:35 PM   #13
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To everyone who wants in, please let me know the username for the theme team

Orcin18 (Evansville Batbirds)
Old 01-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #14
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
On that note about the gaps, the rule that really open up possibilities, which this league may not want to adopt, is to allow any player that's played for the theme team. For example, I could add Royals Greinke and Braves Maddux to the Dodgers.
After several seasons of out of sight ERAs, I allowed myself the luxury of picking up Mark Belanger (who played one season for the Dodgers). What a difference as my ERA became manageable and the team won two championships.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #15
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
To everyone who wants in, please let me know the username for the theme team (I assume most of our theme teams are the 2nd or 3rd team)
007 - Dodger Team (California Dodgers - Perfect Level)
- or -
Cloud - All Switch Hitting Team (Sandbox Rats - Diamond Level)

Last edited by <Pion>; 01-28-2019 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Edit to team name
Old 01-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #16
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
I'll need to know fairly soon how open the Theme Team rules are. If the rules are extremely open to where Only Historical works, then it'll be easy to build super teams. If it's On Card Team restrictions, then it's much narrower. And there's tons of potential limitations somewhere in the middle.

I'm actually thinking about making The Past & Future Legends, with only All-Time Legends and Future Legends, but I'm afraid it will be a bit overpowered vs. teams with only Cardinals, for example.
I can appreciate that, but let me leave the thread open for a day or two to gauge the response. I would generally prefer more team-based themes than card-based ones. But I'm also realistic, and it may be tough to get anywhere close to filling a league with those teams, so I think it makes sense to cast a wider net for now.

On the flip side I'm definitely not interested in hosting a bunch of min/maxers trying to abuse the league. This is for fun. I will put some more thought into more specific requirements. Any ideas from the group would be appreciated as well!
Old 01-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #17
gemini615
All Star Reserve

I have 2 different all Indians teams at the diamond level and I'd be happy to join with one of them.
Kennesaw Indians
username: georgia
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #18
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

I'm changing my plan to an all Gold Glove team. Even the pitchers. If they've won even 1 GG, they are eligible for my team.

EDIT: Wait a sec...that doesn't work for relievers unless I use starters. Hmm. Let me think about it.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 01-28-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:36 PM   #19
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini615 View Post
I have 2 different all Indians teams at the diamond level and I'd be happy to join with one of them.
Kennesaw Indians
username: georgia
awesome! let's stick to one team each for now...I'll add this username to the list
Old 01-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #20
gemini615
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Orcin, how did the Louisville Colonels do last season in perfect?
Did Sisler continue being an absolute stud?
After my Point Loma Indians got relegated, I nearly got relegated again in diamond
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote