Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #81
thakfu
Minors (Single A)

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. The Barrelers managed to get promoted every single season despite a limited budget and only 2 playoff appearances, but the train looks like it's stopping in year 2 at Perfect Level. Got stuck in a BEASTLY division this year. Curious to see how we do at Diamond Level next season.

Name:  ootp.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  244.8 KB
thakfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:12 AM   #82
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

So my highest ERA starter has 1/3 of my starter wins. My 2 lowest ERA pitchers have losing records. Sometimes baseball makes no sense.

EDIT: Dolf proceeds to throw a 10K 2-hitter on 100 pitches. 1 pitch over the Maddux. 4.43 ERA now, so no longer the highest ERA.
Attached Images

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 01-10-2019 at 01:33 AM.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:01 AM   #83
Izz
Hall Of Famer

The Hoggs went 16-11 in June, so we're getting slightly worse month-by-month. 53-28 for the season with an 8 1/2 game lead in the division. Davey Johnson won Batter of the Month. He has 24 dingers, one behind conference leader Bryce Harper.

Am considering snaring Sad Sam Jones next time I see him on the auction block. Every time I've faced him since the very first season he's beaten me. He has the type of Stuff/Movement/Control spread I currently value, too.

I picked up Joe Medwick from the AH but he's on the reserve roster currently. I think he's an upgrade over rookie Ted Williams but in true baseball superstitious fashion, I'm worried about messing up the balance of the team. Rookie Ted is slashing .245/.350/.395, with 9 homers and an OPS+ of 104.

EDIT: We've started July with an 11-0 shutout win, Patrick Corbin getting it done on 108 pitches. Johnson went downtown for his 4th game in a row, and Johnny Mize must have seen me looking at Hank Greenberg in the AH (I was too slow, sadly; his BIN was 500 below average), because he's mashed 5 homers in the last 6 games.

EDIT2: He also started and finished a 3-5-3 double-play. Don't see one of those everyday!

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report

Last edited by Izz; 01-10-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #84
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
So what makes a team tank once they reach the perfect level?

I am in the 408 and there is a team that is definitely tanking.

I am not reporting it, I just don't understand why? It is a little disappointing because the competition is great.
Some people don't want good competition. They just want to dominate.

Now there is part of me that is fine if a team wants to do a reset because there is no other way to really do that. But a reset, to me, requires the player to sell all of their best cards. If they just moved the entire lineup that got them to platinum to the inactive roster with the intention of reinserting them once they get relegated a few times then yes that is cheating
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #85
gemini615
All Star Reserve

The Kennesaw Indians struggled a bit last month and are now 42-40. The bright spot has been starting pitching where they're first in era.
Attached Images
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #86
Morug
Major Leagues

Funny, Pedro lost 1-7 to the Test team of Timi (who only play player under 50). its a joke this team they are 8-76.

Last edited by Morug; 01-10-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Morug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #87
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharknut View Post
14 games under .500 with a -3 run differential.
OUCH! That might be some kind of pythag record.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #88
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

It is so hard to find hitting catchers in this game. My PL team has Darren Daulton and Manny Sanguillen platooning and both hit the same as pretty much every other catcher I have had. With 83 and 80 Catcher Ability respectively, I'd rather have someone with higher CA for the amount of offense they provide.

They are worth about 30K PP between them, so I'm just going to switch back to cheaper Posey & Grandal momentarily and target a 100+ Catcher Ability player with the points. Pudge, Boone, Fosse, or one of the lesser Benches.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #89
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Oof, a guy with a Perfect Bench in my league has gotten 75 & 84 WRC+ in 2 Perfect seasons. The top 5 career WRC+ in Perfect League level only:

1. Posey (83 rating)
2. Posey (83)
3. Cochrane (93)
4. Campanella (100)
5. Santiago (74)

4 Poseys in the top 20. I may just use those points to upgrade somewhere else if my Posey can be a Top 20 hitting catcher with better D than my current pair.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 01-10-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #90
sharknut
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
OUCH! That might be some kind of pythag record.
444 runs scored, 444 runs allowed.

37-50 record.

Last year was 81-81 with a +33 run differential.

sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #91
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharknut View Post
444 runs scored, 444 runs allowed.

37-50 record.
I'm guessing that's approximately -6.5 Pythag. Or maybe exactly that. Are you having trouble with your bullpen? Might want to target that for upgrades.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #92
Blazinghalo
Minors (Single A)

Catchers

Another catcher to consider with +100 catcher ability is Jim Sundberg. Be forewarned he won't give you much offense. Position rating=135. Catcher ability and Catcher Arm=107.

Last edited by Blazinghalo; 01-10-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Blazinghalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #93
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
Oof, a guy with a Perfect Bench in my league has gotten 75 & 84 WRC+ in 2 Perfect seasons. The top 5 career WRC+ in Perfect League level only:

1. Posey (83 rating)
2. Posey (83)
3. Cochrane (93)
4. Campanella (100)
5. Santiago (74)

4 Poseys in the top 20. I may just use those points to upgrade somewhere else if my Posey can be a Top 20 hitting catcher with better D than my current pair.
My analysis shows that Posey is the best value catcher in the game. Not the best catcher... but the best for the money. The best catcher below 20K for sure, even counting platoons because he hits RHP fairly well.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #94
sharknut
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
I'm guessing that's approximately -6.5 Pythag. Or maybe exactly that. Are you having trouble with your bullpen? Might want to target that for upgrades.
Brad Lidge went from a 2.06 ERA to a 6.46 ERA, as example. Bullpen is 15th out of 16 this year, was top 5 last year. I have Chapman, Kern, Lidge and Righetti as setup men with Doolittle as the closer. They SHOULD be good.

Combine that with Kershaw and Schilling BOTH with ERA's of 6.......just can't fathom EVERY pitcher sucking the entire year.

1st in batting average, 3rd in runs scored on the offensive side of things.

Last edited by sharknut; 01-10-2019 at 01:57 PM.
sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #95
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
Some people don't want good competition. They just want to dominate.
I think most people here underrate the lower point earning potential. In leagues where I have been overmatched (which so far are the initial season in bronze and this season, my first at diamond), I earn far fewer points. In that first season, I had zero non-bronze achievements, and I am on pace to repeat this again. This problem is further exacerbated now that we can only earn the slump breaking achievements once per season.

When my team is more evenly matched with the competition, points flow more readily, even when the wins don't.
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #96
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
I think most people here underrate the lower point earning potential. In leagues where I have been overmatched (which so far are the initial season in bronze and this season, my first at diamond), I earn far fewer points. In that first season, I had zero non-bronze achievements, and I am on pace to repeat this again. This problem is further exacerbated now that we can only earn the slump breaking achievements once per season.

When my team is more evenly matched with the competition, points flow more readily, even when the wins don't.
A good day in Perfect is scraping together 300 PP in bronze achievements. As you said, silver+ achievements are extremely rare at the higher levels.

If I could drop back to even Diamond, I bet I could earn 5K-10K more PP per season. Besides more game achievements, I'd be more likely to get that 1K for the playoffs, potential thousands more for playoff success, and hundreds to thousands in All-Star and end of year player rewards. Right now, I've just got to hope for lots of CGSO for that sweet 100 point bonus.

Oh wow, I recently got 100 PP for 500 career wins. It's sort of like getting a $20 gift card for a 5 year work anniversary.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #97
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
My analysis shows that Posey is the best value catcher in the game. Not the best catcher... but the best for the money. The best catcher below 20K for sure, even counting platoons because he hits RHP fairly well.
I've now got my eye on that 90-rated Yadi. Comparable hitter to Posey, but with more power and the super elite D. I'm not sure if I've ever seen it at auction. Does anyone happen to know what the average is for that card?
Old 01-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #98
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post

It's a tricky situation for sure, but by tanking and dropping to diamond or gold you then stifle the earning potential of those who are struggling to earn points in those leagues already.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #99
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
It's a tricky situation for sure, but by tanking and dropping to diamond or gold you then stifle the earning potential of those who are struggling to earn points in those leagues already.
The promotion/relegation system should have been to same from the beginning. The accelerated system put too many teams in Perfect, many of which are sort of stuck in limbo for a few seasons: not being competitive, but not being bad enough to drop down. All the while gaining few points.

These are the 5th-12th worst teams or so that should be competing for playoff spots in Diamond and not struggling in Perfect. They are basically left with the following choices because they advanced artificially quickly:
- Spend money to compete for a playoff spot
- Wait several seasons for relegation to possibly take them down
- Tank their way to Diamond ASAP

For OOTP 20, they need to keep it to 4 Up, 4 Down (or even 2/2) from the beginning and do it in all levels. That way you only advance when you are ready, instead of a bunch of WC teams moving along with Champions.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 01-10-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #100
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

I'm not exactly having a stellar season (47-44) but I have a 1.5 game lead in my Diamond division over a team with much higher rated cards than me.

I have 4 Diamonds, 7 Golds, 13 Silvers, and 1 Bronze. He's got 1 Perfect, 5 Diamonds, and 19 Golds plus a huge collection of Golds among the 123 guys in his reserve roster.

I don't know if I'm being lucky or if my team is better constructed (or both) but it does give a little hope that I can hold my own against a spender (I'm not exactly FTP since I put $10 in at the start but nothing more since then).

I'm having a horrific season when it comes to close games though, I'm 0-5 in extra innings games and 6-13 in one-run games. I'm -4 down on my Pythagoras expectation. Probably need to shore up my bullpen a bit.