Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Question Alternate ratings?

Just curious if any posters do their own tweaks to fighters in their universe?

Ice Tea & the guys here do a great job of keeping the database current but just wondered if people here then make their fighters any better or worse based on their own observations?
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
Cap
Hall Of Famer

I tend to think everyone here has at least once in a while. My boxers are originally from TB 1 so not sure where most of them came from. When I want new fighters I pick someone I'm not going to use from the general population, copy them and tweak their ratings.

This works with 2.5 but seemed to play havoc with TB2013. I'm hoping transferring my AU to the new game won't be an issue. In TB2013 it took guys in pre-prime and post-prime from 2.5 and made that version of them Prime.

Cap
Old 01-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up

Yeah I know what you mean Cap, on my new laptop I picked up last June, the game works fine on there but had to uncheck the part about them moving to post prime because if I didn't, the game automatically moved some fighters to post-prime after a fight & this would happen with guys with less than 10 fights.

I like some of the tweaks I've seen - bob tweaked Jermall to an 8 @ 154.

I use multiple ratings too @ times, it's the only way some fighters will agree to fight another guy. So I use the higher rating to build up the record of a fighter but he only might get a title shot with the lower rating.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamed2 View Post
Just curious if any posters do their own tweaks to fighters in their universe?

Ice Tea & the guys here do a great job of keeping the database current but just wondered if people here then make their fighters any better or worse based on their own observations?
I have one universe which I call "The Laboratory". I do a lot of revision there. As I said in the past, a fighter's punching power is ultimately measured by strength his opponent's jaw. So I rely heavily on Chris's Sub-Zero system.

Another system I use is looking at a fighter' actual prime. With the exception of the handful of boxers that have several career ratings, the typical rating from the pool seems to be more cumulative, spanning the fighter's entire career with all Beginning, Pre-Prime, Prime, etc. all rolled into one set of ratings.

Finally, Cap said something many years ago that made a lot of sense. You really can't rate a boxer in isolation. There needs to be one fighter or class of fighters you need as a benchmark to measure all the rest. That's why I prefer Chris's Sub-Zero system.

When the game came out more than forty years ago, the Trunzos had all the heavyweight champs and maybe a dozen or so historical top contenders. The fighters were rated by reputation rather than analysis
of their respective opponents. The emphasis, and original design, seemed be having the opportunity to make "what-if' matchups...i.e. Marciano vs. Frazier, Ali vs. Louis, etc.

Now we have thousands of fighters rated...which raises the question of quality versus quantity. But that's another topic altogether.

Last edited by professordp; 01-09-2018 at 12:32 AM.
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #5
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up

Thanks prof, those are some interesting points you raise.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:20 PM   #6
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
I tend to think everyone here has at least once in a while. My boxers are originally from TB 1 so not sure where most of them came from. When I want new fighters I pick someone I'm not going to use from the general population, copy them and tweak their ratings.

This works with 2.5 but seemed to play havoc with TB2013. I'm hoping transferring my AU to the new game won't be an issue. In TB2013 it took guys in pre-prime and post-prime from 2.5 and made that version of them Prime.

Cap

It hopefully shouldn't. When I purchased Win 7, I went for the Professional version which included an XP emulator. I'm a big APBA BBW fan and at that point you couldn't play 5.5 on Win 7 (the "ceiling" was XP).

Subsequently, they released BBW 5.75 which allowed you to play the game on Win 7. The transfer from XP to Win 7 was seamless, painless, and quick. I transferred every season from 1921 to 1979 literally in a matter of minutes

The ballplayers had just as many variables as boxers, plus managers and ballparks were part of the transfer. I also play several of Dave Koch's Action PC games, and similarly, the movement from an old edition to a new edition is virtually automatic.

Thus, for other game companies, moving ratings from one edition to another is no big deal. Why is it a problem for PISD???
Old 01-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #7
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Prof said: When the game came out more than forty years ago, the Trunzos had all the heavyweight champs and maybe a dozen or so historical top contenders. The fighters were rated by reputation rather than analysis
of their respective opponents. The emphasis, and original design, seemed be having the opportunity to make "what-if' matchups...i.e. Marciano vs. Frazier, Ali vs. Louis, etc.

Pretty sure the idea of a pro boxing simulation was never really considered by the Trunzos at first. Their game was intended as a replay like several sports games of the time. We made it into a boxing sim.

Cap
Old 01-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #8
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Hey Prof, I see you mention Dave Koch games & that you play/sim several, are they similar to Lance Heffner in that you can sim quick results?

Went to the website & it appears much more advanced.

The FB & basketball games look good - maybe the hockey & golf too.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey Prof, I see you mention Dave Koch games & that you play/sim several, are they similar to Lance Heffner in that you can sim quick results?

I actually own all four that you mention. You can do a quick sim on all of them, but the games are very immersive so if you're just looking for a fast result you'd be much better going elsewhere to spend less money. Full play is about 45 minutes or so for each.

The FB offers more defensive and offense plays than I ever recall seeing on any board or PC game. Yet you can just play it basic and have a lot of fun.

With basketball, you can either call all the plays or put on automatic pilot...or play it somewhere in between. If you're into classic, 1970s/1980s college ball, John Gardiner's website Sports Replays-Fields of Dreams has a ton of mods for free (although it would be fine gesture to drop a coin in the hat if you download from John's webpage).

Last edited by professordp; 01-10-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #10
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
Prof said: When the game came out more than forty years ago, the Trunzos had all the heavyweight champs and maybe a dozen or so historical top contenders. The fighters were rated by reputation rather than analysis

Pretty sure the idea of a pro boxing simulation was never really considered by the Trunzos at first. Their game was intended as a replay like several sports games of the time. We made it into a boxing sim.

Cap

I tend to agree although replay/simulation tend to be terms that are often interchangeable when discussing sports games. I don't know, nevertheless, if the original Trunzo game and the subsequent first version of the AH 1979 could be classified as "replay" games.

If you're matching Joe Louis versus Jack Johnson you're obviously not replaying an actual historical event as you would with say the '58 Colts versus the '58 Giants for the NFL title. And the early editions of the Trunzo games certainly didn't give you enough fighters for a "replay".

But yeah, in large part, I think the members of the forum certainly changed the tenor and tone of the Trunzos' initial concept.

Maybe that's one of the root causes for the problems we've encountered post TBCB 2.5 .

Last edited by professordp; 01-09-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #11
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by professordp View Post
I actually own all four that you mention. You can do a quick sim on all of them, but the games are very immersive so if you're just looking for a fast result you'd be much better going elsewhere to spend less money. Full play is about 45 minutes or so for each.

The FB offers more defensive and offense plays than I ever recall seeing on any board or PC game. Yet you just play it basic and a have a lot of fun.

With basketball, you can either call all the plays or put on automatic pilot...or play it somewhere in between. If you're into classic, 1970s/1980s college ball, John Gardiner's website Sports Replays-Fields of Dreams has a ton of mods for free (although it would be fine gesture to drop a coin in the hat if you download from John's webpage).
Thanks & you are not kidding - I picked up the golf game & wow that has a lot of detail!
Old 01-10-2018, 12:10 AM   #12
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks & you are not kidding - I picked up the golf game & wow that has a lot of detail!

Here's John's website:

http://www.sportsreplays.net/index.htm

Check it out...lots of free stuff!
Old 01-10-2018, 12:56 AM   #13
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

I've played most of the games mentioned above and I'm in a league in both strat-o-matic baseball and basketball.
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #14
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:

I play the D K Football & Hockey games. Grew up with APBA back in the1960s. Still picture a baseball player's seasonal stats as APBA cards in my head.

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #15
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for all the info/replies!

Some threads get 1 or 2 responses, this one I almost didn't even post & it's full of great posts/info!
Old 01-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #16
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for all the info/replies!

Some threads get 1 or 2 responses, this one I almost didn't even post & it's full of great posts/info!

You might find the DK forum useful if you have any questions concerning the golf game.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/acti...orts/index.php
Old 01-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #17
bear
Global Moderator

Quote:

I mostly quick sim. I suck competing against the AI when I try to coach games live.

UTBA Season Four Gold Conference Central Division Champion

First UTBA expansion franchise to win a conference divisional title
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #18
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I mostly quick sim. I suck competing against the AI when I try to coach games live.
lol, same here.

I like any game/sim like TB, imagine what if these teams/fighters met?

Then sit back & let the computer decide it.

I saw a super computer picked Bama over UGA 24-18, not too far off.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #19
Rob Morris
All Star Reserve

Quote:
It hopefully shouldn't. When I purchased Win 7, I went for the Professional version which included an XP emulator. I'm a big APBA BBW fan and at that point you couldn't play 5.5 on Win 7 (the "ceiling" was XP).

Subsequently, they released BBW 5.75 which allowed you to play the game on Win 7. The transfer from XP to Win 7 was seamless, painless, and quick. I transferred every season from 1921 to 1979 literally in a matter of minutes

The ballplayers had just as many variables as boxers, plus managers and ballparks were part of the transfer. I also play several of Dave Koch's Action PC games, and similarly, the movement from an old edition to a new edition is virtually automatic.

Thus, for other game companies, moving ratings from one edition to another is no big deal. Why is it a problem for PISD???
You’re right, it shouldn’t be a problem but it is. As to why I can only speculate that it’s because TBCB does not get the love, care, attention and maintenance of other games. Certainly TBCB 2.5 won’t be supported. TBCB, even when under the OOTP umbrella, always felt like it was the runt of the litter.
Rob Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #20
Rob Morris
All Star Reserve

Quote:

When the game came out more than forty years ago, the Trunzos had all the heavyweight champs and maybe a dozen or so historical top contenders. The fighters were rated by reputation rather than analysis

Now we have thousands of fighters rated...which raises the question of quality versus quantity. But that's another topic altogether.
I remember receiving a great email from the late Danny Wildhawke and he felt there were too many fighters rated in the computer game and that he preferred a less is more approach.
Rob Morris is offline   Reply With Quote