Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 04-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
hit_or_miss54680
Minors (Double A)

iOS to Windows Mobile 7 Tool

Microsoft releases iPhone-to-Windows Phone 7 App porting tool

So you should definitely put iOOTP on Windows 7 Marketplace. Even better if it had achievements. :P
Old 04-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Marc Vaughan
Sports Interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit_or_miss54680 View Post
Microsoft releases iPhone-to-Windows Phone 7 App porting tool

So you should definitely put iOOTP on Windows 7 Marketplace. Even better if it had achievements. :P
Those kind of tools generally 'sound great' but for a complex C++ program, they're generally not sufficient to implement a port to an entirely seperate language (C#).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
klkitchens
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Those kind of tools generally 'sound great' but for a complex C++ program, they're generally not sufficient to implement a port to an entirely seperate language (C#).
Unless it's just porting the compiled code to compiled code -- not source. Then it "might" work

And unless he's using pointers, the C++ code will be about 90% similar to C#
Old 05-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Marc Vaughan
Sports Interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkitchens View Post
Unless it's just porting the compiled code to compiled code -- not source. Then it "might" work
If its doing that then it'd be incredibly clever and would definitely be worth looking at (but tbh if it was doing that I'd expect it'd be getting a LOT more coverage generally).

Quote:
I'd almost guarentee the use of pointers in iOOTP source code, most complex C++ programs use them as a matter of course because of dynamic memory allocation - this is even more likely on a memory limited platform like a handheld game.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
cdheer
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkitchens View Post
Isn't that sort of like saying, "Unless you're using gasoline, motorcycles are very similar to bicycles?"
Originally Posted by Dave Barry
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
cdheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
hit_or_miss54680
Minors (Double A)

I wish I understood what you guys were saying :P

I just want a Windows Phone version hella bad. There are a couple of nice things about porting to Windows Phone:

1. Heavy focus on games.
2. Trial system that's very similar to OOTP's past trials systems.
3. Minimum Windows Phone Specs are higher than what iOOTP needs so you'd know iOOTP worked on every phone without hassle.
4. Achievements would be awesome (optional) IE: Have pitcher throw a perfect game, have a hitter join HOF, etc.
5. MS will do anything to see WM7 succeed so it's a platform that is only going to grow/never go away. See Nokia deal for example.

Last edited by hit_or_miss54680; 05-01-2011 at 02:17 PM.
hit_or_miss54680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
I wish I understood what you guys were saying :P

I just want a Windows Phone version hella bad. There are a couple of nice things about porting to Windows Phone:

1. Heavy focus on games.
2. Trial system that's very similar to OOTP's past trials systems.
3. Minimum Windows Phone Specs are higher than what iOOTP needs so you'd know iOOTP worked on every phone without hassle.
4. Achievements would be awesome (optional) IE: Have pitcher throw a perfect game, have a hitter join HOF, etc.
5. MS will do anything to see WM7 succeed so it's a platform that is only going to grow/never go away. See Nokia deal for example.
Its the same answer as with an Android version: we just don't have enough men-power to support another platform.

Btw.: Archievements are on my to-do list for one of the updates or new version.
Sebastian Palkowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Gamecenter has achievements
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:04 AM   #9
Tullius
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Its the same answer as with an Android version: we just don't have enough men-power to support another platform.
But you should always consider the market situation:

Markt share:

40% Android (-> 50% in the next years)
15% iPhone
15% Blackberry
5% W7 Phone (-> 20% in the next years)

iPhone will be constant and my generally Apple products are surrounded by hype and are too expensive. They are more a status symbol for the middle class but an average customer will look for a less expensive alternative.

Last edited by Tullius; 05-02-2011 at 04:05 AM.
Tullius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:37 AM   #10
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullius View Post
But you should always consider the market situation:

Markt share:

40% Android (-> 50% in the next years)
15% iPhone
15% Blackberry
5% W7 Phone (-> 20% in the next years)

iPhone will be constant and my generally Apple products are surrounded by hype and are too expensive. They are more a status symbol for the middle class but an average customer will look for a less expensive alternative.
zu Guttenberg? It's hard to discuss this numbers without knowing anything about them. Are they from this year, last year, worldwide market, US market?

When we made the decision for iOS we did our homeworks and back then (and we still think the decision is the right one!) iPhone/iPod and iPad was the way to go. Just look at the success Football Manager Handheld has.

Again, if iOOTP is a big success we will look into other mobile platforms.
Sebastian Palkowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:19 AM   #11
Tullius
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
It's hard to discuss this numbers without knowing anything about them. Are they from this year, last year, worldwide market, US market?
Marktforscher: Windows-Handys werden iPhone überholen - magnus - Magnus.de

More than a half year ago there were some other views but my biggest problem is the hype around Apple. They even claimed that in the age of the iPhone you do not need an PC anymore. That would mean that you can skip the PC version of OOTP.
Tullius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
birdsofprey02
Minors (Double A)

CNET Report on APP store revenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullius View Post
I disagree with the last statement. We're looking at the iPhone/iPod/iPad versus whatever is available on the Android market. You can buy an iPhone 3gs for $50 or a new iPhone4 for $199-$299. How is that too expensive compared to whatever Droid has? Some may think they are sleek and sexy (status symbol), but they sell well, make money for developers, and people love them! IMO, thats where the rubber meets the road. You can "stick it to the man" and not like Apple because of what they've become or what people think of them, but choosing to start developing for iOS was definitely the best business strategy for OOTP. Side note, to think win7 platform will go from 5% to 20% in the next years is a bit foolish (but thats just IMO).

Lastly, the part where the iPhone replaces a PC. I truly believe that the iPad and iPhone have drastically changed the market for laptops. I don't know how much influence they've had on Desktops, but laptop sales have definitely suffered. There will be some power users that still require the strength and versatility of a power laptop, but many casual users will find no need for a laptop (myself, my parents, my wife, most of my friends included). I haven't fired up my clunkly Delll in 4 months since the iPad has been in my house. Theres just no point. Getting rid of my desktop PC? I don't see that happening anytime soon. iPad hammering laptop sales

Last edited by birdsofprey02; 05-02-2011 at 08:55 AM.
birdsofprey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #13
rnf1968
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsofprey02 View Post
CNET Report on APP store revenue

I disagree with the last statement. We're looking at the iPhone/iPod/iPad versus whatever is available on the Android market. You can buy an iPhone 3gs for $50 or a new iPhone4 for $199-$299. How is that too expensive compared to whatever Droid has? Some may think they are sleek and sexy (status symbol), but they sell well, make money for developers, and people love them! IMO, thats where the rubber meets the road. You can "stick it to the man" and not like Apple because of what they've become or what people think of them, but choosing to start developing for iOS was definitely the best business strategy for OOTP. Side note, to think win7 platform will go from 5% to 20% in the next years is a bit foolish (but thats just IMO).

Lastly, the part where the iPhone replaces a PC. I truly believe that the iPad and iPhone have drastically changed the market for laptops. I don't know how much influence they've had on Desktops, but laptop sales have definitely suffered. There will be some power users that still require the strength and versatility of a power laptop, but many casual users will find no need for a laptop (myself, my parents, my wife, most of my friends included). I haven't fired up my clunkly Delll in 4 months since the iPad has been in my house. Theres just no point. Getting rid of my desktop PC? I don't see that happening anytime soon. iPad hammering laptop sales
Very well put and absolutely spot on.
rnf1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #14
hit_or_miss54680
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Gamecenter has achievements
I scoff at you. Those are no more achievements than a bunt is a stolen base.

XBL Achievements are the only achievement that *GENERALLY* matters to people.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:20 AM   #15
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
I scoff at you. Those are no more achievements than a bunt is a stolen base.

XBL Achievements are the only achievement that *GENERALLY* matters to people.
Well in five years when you get your own version if OOTP mobile then all your friends can be impressed.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote