Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
Mariners
Minors (Single A)

Question English Newbie Simmer

Hi you guys, whilst I'm not new to baseball as a game (I watch the MLB games over here on TV live from the USA) and I understand the basic rules of play, I am fairly new to playing a baseball game on the PC. I just wondered if any of you could recommend some basic reading to be found online which would help me understand the mechanics of playing the game. I have already ordered it, being a long time supporter of SI Games and their Championship Manager/Football Manager series, and can see their influence in this games presentation.

I want to understand the game more so I can get more enjoyment from playing, rather than putting it on the shelf after a few days because I don't know what I'm doing! Thanks.
Mariners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:42 AM   #2
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

I know the feeling as i had to learn the ins and outs of soccer for CM/FM. I don't know of any online reading personally, although i think the best thing you can do is watch the games. You can probably search the forums here as well as there are a number of threads on how to set up batting orders and when to use relief pitchers. Also if you have any specific questions they are a lot of people here who have forgotten more about baseball than most of us will ever know.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
jm47048
All Star Starter

I would recommend Earl Weaver's book, whose title escapes me at the moment. You can do a google or amazon search on it and it should come up.

Also, Baseball for Dummies (which will have actual on-field things to do with kids) is a good start for the rules of the game.

Also try going to MLB.com and reading the official rule-book. The game is based on these rules.
jm47048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
fauteuil7
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm47048
I would recommend Earl Weaver's book, whose title escapes me at the moment.
"Weaver on Strategy". It came in the box with one of the Tony LaRussa games eons ago. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be in there (the game was a returned copy) but I'm glad it was. The writing style is such that you don't feel overwhelmed, and you sound like you know wnough about baseball already to get some good minutia from it. Of course, if you read that you'll end up throwing your starting pitchers until their arms fall off and then cursing at anyone who walks past you.
fauteuil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
Mariners
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for the advice guys, I've actually ordered two books, Roads to Redemption: A Guide to Major League Baseball, by Craig W. Thomas, and Baseball for Dummies by Joe Morgan. I have read reviews about these books and they look like they will be able to help me a lot.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:22 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariners
Thanks for the advice guys, I've actually ordered two books, Roads to Redemption: A Guide to Major League Baseball, by Craig W. Thomas, and Baseball for Dummies by Joe Morgan. I have read reviews about these books and they look like they will be able to help me a lot.
The only thing I'd correct is that the Morgan book should be titled Baseball by a Dummy. That is a bit of an ongoing joke here about Joe Morgan's abilities as an analyst/explainer of Baseball.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
fauteuil7
Major Leagues

Joe Morgan is extremely knowledgable, so that's a good choice. Another thing you might want to consider doing is signing up for the MLB Gameday Audio service since you're in the UK and wouldn't be able to watch/listen to a whole lot of games. A fun way to learn about the finer points of baseball is to listen to games on the radio where the announcers need to be more descriptive than TV commentators. You can listen to all of the games on that service and they also archive them so you wouldn't need to listen to them live.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #8
Mariners
Minors (Single A)

Slightly OT but as it's my thread I guess it doesn't really matter. At what level of difficulty would you reccomend I start the game when it's released at the end of the month? I ask this question because I took the opportunity to download the free OOTP5 and have been playing it on the 'Easy' level. I have been playing managing the Red Sox (the team I support) but it all seems a little too easy so far. I guess a beta tester or probably Marc or Markus would be the guys to answer this, but bear in mind I am a rookie to the game, but I want to be able to get the maximum enjoyment from the game without it being a walkover!
Old 05-19-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Slightly OT but as it's my thread I guess it doesn't really matter. At what level of difficulty would you reccomend I start the game when it's released at the end of the month? I ask this question because I took the opportunity to download the free OOTP5 and have been playing it on the 'Easy' level. I have been playing managing the Red Sox (the team I support) but it all seems a little too easy so far. I guess a beta tester or probably Marc or Markus would be the guys to answer this, but bear in mind I am a rookie to the game, but I want to be able to get the maximum enjoyment from the game without it being a walkover!
From what I can tell, there is no "Easy" mode in the new game.

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
Mariners
Minors (Single A)

Are you saying there are no difficulty levels at all?
Old 05-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #11
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are you saying there are no difficulty levels at all?
Not really.

One way to make it easier or harder is how you view ratings.

1-100 or 2-8.

The first will give you a much more precise estimate of your player's worth. 2-8 is a much more traditional scale, and its inprecision can drive you batty.

Say you have a pitcher with STUFF of rated at 6,7,6,5,7,8, and 8 by your different scouts. Well, then you have to account for how well the scout evaluates pitching. Then you have to evaluate you scout's sobriety, and how old the evaluation is.

Suppose your two best pitching evaluators gave two 8's. Would you be comfortable signing the guy to a 5 year contract worth $13 million a year? Suppose your two best gave a 5 and an 8? Suppose your division rival just offered him 7 years at $15 million per season? Do you really want your staff ace to go elsewhere after sweating after him for 5 years in the minors, and 6 more in the Big Leagues? Was his 3.68 ERA a fluke two years ago? Was last year's 4.91 ERA caused due to arm trouble that you forced him to pitch with?

Get to know the game, and when you feel too comfortable with things, change the way you view ratings.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:27 PM   #12
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Having OOTP 5 to play around with will help you get into line ups, pitching rotations and such. Maybe an idea if you wanted to would be join a OOTP 5 online league, sure if you put an add on the online leagues board somebody could point you in the way of a league. Lots of online leagues welcome rookies, it's also the best way to learn not only about baseball but also baseball pc games.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #13
Marlinfan
Minors (Double A)

As a fellow Englishman, subscribing to MLB TV was the best thing I ever did, now I can watch my Marlins lose almost every night lol...3 losses in extra innings in the last 4 games, 2 of the games we actually took the lead in extra innings only to concede 2 runs in the bottom of the inning, damn we need a CLOSER!

Anyway back to the topic, just keep watching, playing baseball games, 1st baseball game I played was Triple Play, then the High Heat series, then I found the wonderful OOTP sims & now enjoying baseball more than ever....Baseball is easy enough to pick up the basics, the only tricky part is all the stats, for that I google which ever stat I'm not sure about & read up all the information I can regarding how it works.

If you still don't understand things, just ask on here, there is some really brilliant people who really know the game & understand more than you can imagine. Sometimes I come on here & think wow, I still get amazed by some things I read on here.

Good luck & I hope you get gripped to baseball games like I have.

Dazza

Last edited by Marlinfan; 05-20-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Marlinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:09 AM   #14
Mariners
Minors (Single A)

@Marlinfan, thanks for that, is MLB TV on SKY, if so how much is it? Looking at all the screenies for OOTP Baseball 2006 it looks awesome, and I know from owning every version of Championship Manager and Football Manager 2005 & 2006 that anything SI Games are involved in will be a quality product.

I intend to immerse myself in the game completely, I have bought two books, the first of which has an excellent Baseball Dictionary so, like you I will also be looking for explanations for the various stats and abbreviations to be found in the game. I am really looking forward to May 31st and my first play of this superb looking game.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:36 AM   #15
Marlinfan
Minors (Double A)

Mariners - go to www.mlb.com & subscribe there. You can watch every game, for every team online...You can even watch archived games from previous seasons. You will not find a better bargain anywhere. Well worth the investment, I've already got my money's worth & the season is only a month & a half old.

The prices are as follows

1 months subsription $14.95
The whole season $79.95

Dazza

ps...Go Red Sox as you have my fave player, Alex Gonzalez, offensively not too strong but one of the best defensive shortstops in the game.....I often watch Red Sox games which are archived or I watch them live if the Marlins are playing at a different time or if we've got a rest day.

Last edited by Marlinfan; 05-20-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:15 PM   #16
sofla97
Minors (Double A)

Wikipedi does a pretty good job of basic rules and stat definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball#Gameplay.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_statistics
sofla97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #17
fauteuil7
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinfan
Mariners - go to www.mlb.com & subscribe there. You can watch every game, for every team online...You can even watch archived games from previous seasons. You will not find a better bargain anywhere. Well worth the investment, I've already got my money's worth & the season is only a month & a half old.

The prices are as follows

1 months subsription $14.95
The whole season $79.95

Dazza

ps...Go Red Sox as you have my fave player, Alex Gonzalez, offensively not too strong but one of the best defensive shortstops in the game.....I often watch Red Sox games which are archived or I watch them live if the Marlins are playing at a different time or if we've got a rest day.

I got the MLB Gameday Audio last year and thought that was excellent. It's cheaper, and baseball was meant to be heard on the radio. Good radio play by play men paint pictures in your mind that surpass what watching on tv can bring you, and it will also enhance your OOTP experience by letting you fill in some of the vagueries of the play by play text with whatever color you pick up. I just find that text-based games work better if you imagine hearing the play by play as a radio broadcast, but maybe that's just my preference and that I'm an old fuddy-duddy.

Also, how do you become a Marlins fan in England? I watch Manchester United games because that's pretty much all we get over here (apart from condensed game recap shows), but if you've got MLB TV why did you choose the Marlins? I'm not saying that's a bad thing or anything like that, I'm just interested to know. I grew up right outside New York to an Italian family, so I didn't have much of a choice but to be a Yankees fan.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #18
Marlinfan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauteuil7

Also, how do you become a Marlins fan in England? I watch Manchester United games because that's pretty much all we get over here (apart from condensed game recap shows), but if you've got MLB TV why did you choose the Marlins? I'm not saying that's a bad thing or anything like that, I'm just interested to know. I grew up right outside New York to an Italian family, so I didn't have much of a choice but to be a Yankees fan.
I 1st got into NFL back in the early 80's, we always got quite a few games here. Dolphins were involved in the 1st game I saw so I carried on supporting them. Since then I've gotten into NBA, NHL & MLB & supported all the teams from Miami Florida. I got into baseball by watching the World Series Yankees v Braves (I think), before the Marlins won their 1st World Series championship.

Now in England we're getting more & more of American sports plus with the advantages of the internet, it's easier than ever to follow teams across the pond.

Last night I managed to watch the Marlins beat the Cubs in the bottom of the 9th (mlb.tv) & watch Miami Heat beat the Pistons by 5 points on Channel 5.

Woohoo Marlins just sweeped the Cubs with a 9-3 win.

Last edited by Marlinfan; 05-24-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #19
thomasthomas
All Star Reserve

There's probably more Marlins fans in England than in Florida this season.

Maybe they'll relocate to the UK.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:53 PM   #20
Marlinfan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasthomas
There's probably more Marlins fans in England than in Florida this season.

Maybe they'll relocate to the UK.
Lmao...unfortunately u're probably right.

I just hope we don't leave Florida...although to get fans looks like we'd have to